Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Speaking of concept creep, going from adding the words "gender identity and gender expression" as grounds of discrimination to the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code to "this kills freedom of speech" ranks right up there with the best. Turns out that concept creep is what right wing nut jobs excel at. Another thing they are good at is to deny that they are right wing nut jobs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:We call the mrs here. In Dutch there is no other; meneer and mevrouw
This non-sequitur misses the point entirely

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 24, 2017 12:56 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:We call the mrs here. In Dutch there is no other; meneer and mevrouw
Why? We dont have sir or ma'am.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:
Why? We dont have sir or ma'am.
This isn't about the particular pronoun, it's about that fact that you if you address a court official using an incorrect pronoun you could be held in contempt.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Kook's burrito shop - https://pdx.eater.com/2017/5/22/1567776 ... ropriation
Week after week people of color in Portland bear witness to the hijacking of their cultures. Several of the most successful businesses in this town have been birthed as a result of curious white people going to a foreign country. Now don’t get me wrong: cultural customs are meant to be shared. However, that’s not what happens in this city.
Some folks confuse "white majority" with "white supremacy." http://reason.com/blog/2017/05/23/someo ... ic-restaur

LOL - http://rightnow.org.au/opinion-3/cultur ... tion-food/ It's coming, Ozzies...it's coming...
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

:racist:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm happy for dreds to be cultural appropriation, but if I can't make stir fry or pizza any more the fuckers can get fucked! :lay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Well, if I understood them it's okay for you to cook it, you just can't sell it because then you'd be competing in a market that's not for you.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Wed May 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Hermit wrote:Speaking of concept creep, going from adding the words "gender identity and gender expression" as grounds of discrimination to the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code to "this kills freedom of speech" ranks right up there with the best. Turns out that concept creep is what right wing nut jobs excel at. Another thing they are good at is to deny that they are right wing nut jobs.
Robertson is likely a libertarian and not strictly definable in terms of left and right as he seems to rail against aspects of both. He may seem right wing due to his outstated bigotry, but bigotry isn't the sole purview of either the right or left.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 2:47 pm

pErvin wrote:I'm happy for dreds to be cultural appropriation, but if I can't make stir fry or pizza any more the fuckers can get fucked! :lay:
The Celts and the Vikings are pissed off at the misuse of dreadlocks. But, the Indian god Shiva is nonplussed by them, anyway, so it all evens out.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Well, if I understood them it's okay for you to cook it, you just can't sell it because then you'd be competing in a market that's not for you.
A market that's not for you? LOL.

Bunch of Arabs owning pizza joints around here...and every Dunkin Donut shop seems to be run by Hindu Indians these days. The "Japanese" sushi joint I go to has a flippin' Korean sushi chef serving me at the sushi bar. There was literally a Chinese guy serving me a hamburger at McDonalds the other day.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 24, 2017 3:01 pm

A market that's not for you? LOL.
Yeah, it's crazy.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Forty Two wrote:LOL - http://rightnow.org.au/opinion-3/cultur ... tion-food/ It's coming, Ozzies...it's coming...
Oh, just look at that - another blog. I wonder why it's filed under "Opinion" - In fucking red letters right above the title of the piece, so you don't fucking miss it.

I kind of understand people getting pissed off when others muscle in on their cultural heritage they might want to make money on themselves. Chanel copped some flak from some Australian Aborigines last week when it marketed its own boomerang - for AU$1930.

In my view Chanel was aiming at a completely different market. If anything, it might have served as positive publicity for the much cheaper Australian product, though it wouldn't surprise me if most boomerangs sold in Australian tourist traps were made in China. Almost all those cuddly koala bear toys are.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed May 24, 2017 3:31 pm

pErvin wrote:
laklak wrote:
pErvin wrote:I've never had a fish taco. It sounds yummy. I can probably get one here at some hipster establishment for $30 a taco.
You can get taco shells or tortillas, right? Easy to make.
Just slap a fish inside a taco? I don't think mine's going to be as nice as a culturally appropriated one.
I make a couple of versions. If you've got a deep fryer (or haven't dumped the oil from last night) then fry up cod chunks (I love cod) in beer batter. Roll them in the tortilla with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, some jalapenos, bit of onion, shredded cheese, and some hot sauce. Or you can grill the fish and do the same. Then there's sloppy ones - cook the fish in chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, peppers, etc. till the fish flakes. This one is good for hard taco shells. And best of all, hard taco shells aren't cultural appropriation, 'cuz they're Tex-Mex.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 24, 2017 4:10 pm

you love eating cod pieces? :shock:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping