Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation?

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Well, if you're white, it is. Anyone can eat hamburgers and french fries, but it's cultural appropriation to eat sushi and other non-white ethnic foods...

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... ropriation and https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... opriation/

Other ethnicities' dishes have become checkmarks on white peoples' scavenger hunt... http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/foo ... opriation/

This one made me snort... lol -- "People used to make fun of the food I eat, and now suddenly, stuff like spam fried rice is selling at a hip new restaurant for $16. It’s frustrating when my culture gets consumed and appropriated as both trend and tourism." Okay okay okay...so, an asian person... pissed off that people now want to eat "spam fried rice" because that's cultural appropriation... spam.... spam and rice....

Spam -- invented in the United States in 1937, by Hormel Corporation, and gained popularity during World War II, and was used to get meat to the front lines. It became popular in Hawaii because the American military presence there and the need to feed the troop with something that did not need to be refrigerated. The meat was then incorporated - i.e. appropriated - by the Asian-ethnicities on the islands, who made the salted pork meat in a can part of their traditional dishes. So, now, white people, stop eating spam! Or, maybe it's stop eating spam in a way that ethnically Asian people living in a territory of the US, fused the American meat product into their ancestor's recipes.... if you want to fry it with eggs, fine, but don't you fucking dare put it on sushi rice, wrap it in seaweed and dip it in soy sauce, you racists.
Last edited by Forty Two on Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon May 15, 2017 4:23 pm

I appropriated the hell out of some food this weekend at my friend's graduation party. But I couldn't help it, I thought it would be rude to refuse! Can you believe it, those bastids nearly forcing me to be offensive by insisting I try this, and this, and that... or is it not bad if the "other" offers it? It's magic isn't it? I suck at magic.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Spam and rice for $16 is offensive.

Anyway, there's no rice on the menu.

[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 5:18 pm

It's o.k. to appropriate, if you make somethng awesome, and you're not white. "...there’s a fine line between appropriating cultural food and creating something entirely new and amazing out of it, like the tacos served out of Roy Choi’s infamous Kogi trucks..." https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/c ... -offensive
One of the thoughts that pop into my mind as I order the “Chinese chicken salad” I’m going to take home for dinner is that I hope my server doesn’t see me and try to draw a connection between my choice of salad and my race. In my head, I argue, “Yes, I am Asian. No, that has nothing to do with the fact I ordered the salad that claims to be ‘Chinese’ on the menu.”

Yup, it’s as ridiculous as it sounds.
Uh...yeah...it sounds incredibly ridiculous. How much of a navel-gazer do you have to be think that the fuckstick behind the counter at the food court place that serves lame "Chinese Chicken Salad" in a plastic take-out bowl gives a flying fuck that you're "Asian" and ordering the "Chinese Chicken Salad." I mean, what the fucking hell? I see Japanese people eating in the sushi restaurant near my house all the time. I've never given it a second's thought. I assume they like sushi. So do I. So what?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 5:26 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:Spam and rice for $16 is offensive.
Everything at a non-fast food restaurant costs like $16 in the US nowadays.

McDonalds is like $7 to $8 a plate now. A Chinese take-out is like $10-$11 a plate. One step up from the quick take-out, any sit-down restaurant and it's at least $15 each.

Even fucking Olive Garden is $14 to $20 an entree. They have that one thing now that lets you build your own pasta bowl for $10, but that's just pasta and marinara sauce - about 30 cents worth of food - for $10.

I just had to shell out Mother's Day dinner at a steakhouse this weekend, and just the steaks were $50 each, and that didn't include appetizer, drinks and any side dishes like potatoes and veggies.. With tax and tip, I barely made it out of there for $200 for a dinner for two.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Nobody owns the use of specific cullinary ingredients.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm going to appropriate the heck out of tacos until I die :food:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 pm

They can appropriate my Celtic sausage, I got it right here.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon May 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Hardly anything eaten in the West is traditional European. Anything with potatoes: South America. Pasta, Pizza: Asia. Corn: Mexico. Rice: Asia. And so on and so on.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 15, 2017 9:58 pm

I bet Rainbow has a problem with eating Chinese. He'd be hungry again an a couple of hours...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 pm

NineBerry wrote:Hardly anything eaten in the West is traditional European. Anything with potatoes: South America. Pasta, Pizza: Asia. Corn: Mexico. Rice: Asia. And so on and so on.
Turnips!!

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue May 16, 2017 1:56 am

Mutton, oats, so...haggis and neeps.

Are there really people like this out there? I've never run into one, but I'd love to, just for the lulz and trolls.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue May 16, 2017 8:35 am

JimC wrote:I bet Rainbow has a problem with eating Chinese. He'd be hungry again an a couple of hours...
Not at all.
:soup: :food: :soup:
Umami makes up for the smaller portions.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 16, 2017 9:05 am

The Celts were a people who spread, not by conquest, but by culture. People who came into contact thought their styles were cool and their weapons of great craftsmanship and wanted in on the sweet, Celtic goodness.

They were appropriated the shit out of. :lay:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 am

If wypeople stop eating foreign foods who are Chinese and Indian restaurateurs going to sell their food to? Not the Chinese and the Indians, that's for sure.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.