Guvment Diet

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Guvment Diet

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

Labour would ban junk food adverts during primetime TV shows

abour would ban junk food adverts from primetime TV shows such as the X Factor until after the 9pm watershed as part of a manifesto pledge to halve childhood obesity within five years.

The shadow health secretary, Jonathan Ashworth, said the party wanted to make the next British generation “the healthiest in the world” with a package of reforms that would also include a £250m-a-year fund to invest in school nurses and counselling services in primary and secondary schools.

“We are going to apply the rules currently applied to children’s TV and apply that to TV more generally, so when you’re sat down with your children, as I do, watching X Factor or Britain’s Got Talent, you’re not going to be seeing adverts for junk food,” Ashworth told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Campaigners have argued that the existing ban does not cover TV programmes popular with youngsters but not specifically aimed at them. The party said the ban would reduce children’s viewing of junk food adverts by 82%.

The party said it would propose a new child health bill, which would write into law the ambition for the UK’s children to be the healthiest in the world and require all government departments to have a child health strategy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _clipboard
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Just ban the fast food joints (they are not restaurants).
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Forty Two wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Big Bacon.

We are being oppressed by the bacon companies!
Bacon advertising should be stopped, and packaging should be plain, brown wrappers with images of cancerous colons on them.
Don't forget the men in brown shirts with machine guns threatening you if you dare to buy it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Labour would ban junk food adverts during primetime TV shows

abour would ban junk food adverts from primetime TV shows such as the X Factor until after the 9pm watershed as part of a manifesto pledge to halve childhood obesity within five years.

The shadow health secretary, Jonathan Ashworth, said the party wanted to make the next British generation “the healthiest in the world” with a package of reforms that would also include a £250m-a-year fund to invest in school nurses and counselling services in primary and secondary schools.

“We are going to apply the rules currently applied to children’s TV and apply that to TV more generally, so when you’re sat down with your children, as I do, watching X Factor or Britain’s Got Talent, you’re not going to be seeing adverts for junk food,” Ashworth told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Campaigners have argued that the existing ban does not cover TV programmes popular with youngsters but not specifically aimed at them. The party said the ban would reduce children’s viewing of junk food adverts by 82%.

The party said it would propose a new child health bill, which would write into law the ambition for the UK’s children to be the healthiest in the world and require all government departments to have a child health strategy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _clipboard
Fucking tyranny! Won't somebody think of the liberals?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just ban the fast food joints (they are not restaurants).
Why would they have to be restaurants to not be banned?

Bars serve stuff to imbibe, and they're not restaurants. Hookah lounges. Vaping joints. Cigar bars. People often enjoy stuff that isn't so good for them.

You're in a country that allows 16 year olds to buy beer and wine. But, you don't think they should be allowed to buy a hamburger?

Correction - I guess Netherlands raised that age to 18, but the question still stands. Beer yes, hamburger no? Hot dog, no?

What's a "fast food" place, anyway? Do you include the places that sell your deep fried potatoes with gobs of mayonnaise on them? Or, is that a restaurant?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Mon May 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Hmmm. What is 'Fast Food'?
Is it only the stuff you get at McDonalds, KFC, etc.? In those places you can actually sit down and eat your 'Fast Food' a la restaurant style.

Or would you include the 'Ready Meals' you can buy in a local supermarket? All you have to do is take it home and stick it in the microwave.

The latter probably contains all the junk 'preservatives' that are perhaps present in traditional 'Fast Food' outlets. :dunno:
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 pm

What about a cold cut sandwich restaurant?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon May 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Cold cuts? Are you SERIOUS???? Cold cuts are PACKED with cancer-causing nitrates and nitrites and rat hair and e coli! Plus they come from ANIMALS who cause GLOBAL WARMING!!!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Non-fast food restaurant food which should, of course, remain perfectly legal.... Image

Fast food restaurant food which should be illegal: Image

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 08, 2017 6:34 pm

laklak wrote:Cold cuts? Are you SERIOUS???? Cold cuts are PACKED with cancer-causing nitrates and nitrites and rat hair and e coli! Plus they come from ANIMALS who cause GLOBAL WARMING!!!
That's why the cold cuts should be wrapped with a label stating "Contains Cancer Causing Nitrates and Nitrites, and some Rat Hair, and maybe some E Coli. Eating this is the Equivalent of Cutting down a Forest." That would be the non-political, purely informative labeling system to allow the consumer to make better choices....even though we don't acknowledge that people have "choice" anyway.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 08, 2017 9:13 pm

Actually, restrictions on advertising rather than banning the product is the way to go, IMO. That's what they do with smoking etc.

That way, no-one is being prevented from choosing an unhealthy alternative, it's just not being endlessly plugged...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I loved them. I was not addicted but the taste with strong black espresso coffee was a flight of fantasy to any street cafe in Paris.
Given how actually bad most French coffee is, you would not survive the gustatory orgasm that is Italian coffee
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just ban the fast food joints (they are not restaurants).
I know places where the hamburgers are to kill for
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 09, 2017 3:01 am

JimC wrote:Actually, restrictions on advertising rather than banning the product is the way to go, IMO. That's what they do with smoking etc.

That way, no-one is being prevented from choosing an unhealthy alternative, it's just not being endlessly plugged...
You're wrong, Jim. There's only one word for that: TYRANNY!!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue May 09, 2017 8:35 am

Svartalf wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I loved them. I was not addicted but the taste with strong black espresso coffee was a flight of fantasy to any street cafe in Paris.
Given how actually bad most French coffee is, you would not survive the gustatory orgasm that is Italian coffee
I have drunken plenty Italian espresso in Italy and it is great but French street espresso has it own textures that with Gitanes makes an unique experience. It can be heightened by smoking Gitane Mais. In that case the fag should be removed from the mouth and the ash allowed to fall in the coffee to add that something extra.

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".