Islam - How Awful Is It?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Islam - How Awful Is It?

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:27 pm

And should those who think it's awful be allowed to say so in public to the same extent as those who like it are allowed to say how great they think it is?

This whole hate speech debate and such is generally discussed in terms of people saying hateful things about people or the things people hold dear. But, sometimes it's forgotten that while the allegedly hateful things are to be barred, the nice things are allowed. So, we get a legal privilege for, say, Muslims or Christians, to run around proselytizing, saying how all the "good news" has to be shared, and all that sort of thing. But, those of us who don't like those religions are not able to say back "I don't think it's good news - in fact, I think it's downright scurrilous and awful."

Should it be that way? Should people be "protected" from significant criticism, contempt and ridicule of their dopey religions?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Islam - How Awful Is It?

Post by Svartalf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Any religion that prevents you from drinking good booze and eating bacon and that requires you show the sun your rear 5 times a day is shitty, period.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:12 pm

As awful as Christianity. But it depends on when and where you are. For example in 1500...
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:32 pm

thank Reason we're no longer in the 1500s ... I enjoy my atheism and would not like being burnt at the stake
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:56 pm

I might agree with most of the diatribe against Islam, but many people accompany those words with a hatred and fear of muslims in general, and a tendency to discriminate against them, often with more than a tinge of associated racism. The vast majority of muslims in the west cherry-pick their religion, and are as much "social muslims" as many others are social christians; they are not a threat. The islamic community needs to put up with a certain amount of added surveillance, however, because it remains true that, unlike other religions, terrorists (in small numbers) emerge from their religion, having decided to take the nastier bits literally...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Very All - awe -ful

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:17 pm

Forty Two wrote:And should those who think it's awful be allowed to say so in public to the same extent as those who like it are allowed to say how great they think it is?
You get an emphatic yes to both from me.

I do think that most of those who complain about islamophobia are actually objecting to morons seeing each and all persons who believe in the existence of Allah as the evil of Islam personified and treating them as such.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 pm

Tero wrote:As awful as Christianity. But it depends on when and where you are. For example in 1500...
The question was "should" - is your answer that in 1500 it should have been protected from criticism?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 pm

JimC wrote:I might agree with most of the diatribe against Islam, but many people accompany those words with a hatred and fear of muslims in general, and a tendency to discriminate against them, often with more than a tinge of associated racism. The vast majority of muslims in the west cherry-pick their religion, and are as much "social muslims" as many others are social christians; they are not a threat. The islamic community needs to put up with a certain amount of added surveillance, however, because it remains true that, unlike other religions, terrorists (in small numbers) emerge from their religion, having decided to take the nastier bits literally...
How does a subjective "tinge" of racism or hatred effect the right of someone to hate Islam? You added that as a "but" - so what's the "but"? You agree but what happens if we assume that your tinge reference is accurate?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:And should those who think it's awful be allowed to say so in public to the same extent as those who like it are allowed to say how great they think it is?

I do think that most of those who complain about islamophobia are actually objecting to morons seeing each and all persons who believe in the existence of Allah as the evil of Islam personified and treating them as such.
In a way, they are the evil of Islam. In the Hitchensian sense of faith being the most overrated of the virtues, and the surrender of the mind, the belief in deities infects us in a most fundamental way. So even in benign forms Islam is scourge. Mind forged manacles.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tero wrote:As awful as Christianity. But it depends on when and where you are. For example in 1500...
The question was "should" - is your answer that in 1500 it should have been protected from criticism?
Should or shouldn't doesn't really matter. The historical reality was that christianity was protected, and in a very violent, oppressive way, no differently to the way Islam is currently protected in, say, Saudi Arabia...

Over the centuries, Christianity had its teeth pulled by the slow accumulation of enlightenment sentiments, plus its political power being curtailed by jealous secular rulers...

The same fate will hopefully happen to Islam...
And my gin!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:43 pm

It must happen, or we are all fucked. And one of the ways Islam is looking to retain its claws and fangs is by shutting up people who don't like the Islamic horseshit.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Forty Two wrote:
JimC wrote:I might agree with most of the diatribe against Islam, but many people accompany those words with a hatred and fear of muslims in general, and a tendency to discriminate against them, often with more than a tinge of associated racism. The vast majority of muslims in the west cherry-pick their religion, and are as much "social muslims" as many others are social christians; they are not a threat. The islamic community needs to put up with a certain amount of added surveillance, however, because it remains true that, unlike other religions, terrorists (in small numbers) emerge from their religion, having decided to take the nastier bits literally...
How does a subjective "tinge" of racism or hatred effect the right of someone to hate Islam? You added that as a "but" - so what's the "but"? You agree but what happens if we assume that your tinge reference is accurate?
No, I added it as a common but by all means not universal accompaniment to anti-islamic sentiments. I hasten to add that, unlike some other posters here, I'm sure that is not the case with your opposition to Islam.

As far as the implications, given the reality of racism in many anti-islamic groups, they are, I'm afraid, rather negative. It means that people who would otherwise criticise Islam feel forced to back-pedal, to avoid the appearance of getting into bed with racists...
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:

In a way, they are the evil of Islam.
In other words you belong to the group of people I mentioned above who see each and all persons who believe in the existence of Allah as the evil of Islam personified. Forum rules forbid that I go on...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:04 am

Muslim is no more a race than Christian btw.
Forty Two wrote:But, those of us who don't like those religions are not able to say back "I don't think it's good news - in fact, I think it's downright scurrilous and awful."
Nonsense. Who's telling you you can't say religion is scurrilous and awful? You've just said it here, but do your friends, family, or colleagues get uppity if you say those things. Who or what do you think is oppressing you in this regard?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT