Canada's M-103

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Canada's M-103

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 am

Leftists beating people up who are protesting the anti-Islamophobia motion.... ripping up signs... http://m.torontosun.com/2017/03/07/usef ... port-m-103 and http://m.torontosun.com/2017/02/19/the- ... tify-m-103 and https://youtu.be/sP2zIgQ5OSY

What say you, Canucks?
Last edited by Forty Two on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Canada's M-103

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 am

Those articles were a garbled mess. What's M-103?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 am

A brand of maple syrup?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:32 am

It's the serial number on my catheter - no joke! :shock:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:33 am

Brian, are you taking the piss?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:34 am

If only I could Jim. If only I could.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:50 am

:hehe:

:console:
And my gin!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Canada going down the wrong road - http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/28/ca ... ut-trouble

"Fuck Islam, it's a piece of shit religion, and Muhammed, Piss Be Upon Him, is a false prophet."

The proponents of this motion are looking to make that statement illegal. Lay a bet on it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Text of the Motion

• That, in the opinion of the House, the government should: (a) recognize the need to quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear; (b) condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination and take note of House of Commons’ petition e-411 and the issues raised by it; and (c) request that the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage undertake a study on how the government could (i) develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making, (ii) collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and that the Committee should present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion, provided that in its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

How exactly does the inclusion of the word "Islamophobia" add to the motion's value, and why is the word capitalised? This is of course a rhetorical question. With the exception of Tranny anyone who reads the text after blanking out the two references to that particular religion, then reads it again as is will not notice any enhancement in value.

That said, the motion is a textbook example of advocating a proverbial motherhood issue. "Condemn all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination." "Develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination." "Collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities." "In its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms." Yeah. Right on, sister!

The superfluous mention of islamophobia is merely irritating, and there is nothing objectionable in the text of the motion itself. What could turn the project into a fiasco is if the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage decides that feeling offended or insulted by someone who says unpleasant things about whatever the listener holds dear qualifies as a hate crime, racism or discrimination. I have a suspicion that is precisely what the creator of the motion wants to achieve.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 pm

That is, Hermit, a good summation, and I agree. The last line sums it up -- that is precisely what they want to achieve. The bit about "quelling the increasing public climate of hate and fear" is interesting language. Quell means - to put an end to, typically by the use of force; to subdue; to silence; to suppress. So, what will the government do to SILENCE the public? To put an end to the "public climate" of hate and fear? Are they going to make violence against other people illegal? Well, that's already the case...so what are they going to "quell?"

Clearly, this is directed at substantiating a need for and quelling nasty statements about religion -- in particular Islam. It's the foundation for a blasphemy law. That's what the shithead politician who is sponsoring this motion wants. She wants to shut people up who are saying the wrong things about Islam.

Fuck her. Fuck Islam.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm

quell (kwĕl)
tr.v. quelled, quell·ing, quells
1. To put down forcibly; suppress: Police quelled the riot.
2. To pacify; quiet: finally quelled the children's fears.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quell

Let's quell those children's fear with the use of force. :roll:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 pm

pErvin wrote:
quell (kwĕl)
tr.v. quelled, quell·ing, quells
1. To put down forcibly; suppress: Police quelled the riot.
2. To pacify; quiet: finally quelled the children's fears.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quell

Let's quell those children's fear with the use of force. :roll:
Whichever meaning, primary or secondary, is used, it does not bode well for what will come from this motion. Are the people in Canada to be pacified, and quieted....? Yes, those Canadians, getting to uproarious with their criticisms of Islam.....must quell them. Must pacify them. Must quiet them down. Shouldn't be saying things about Islam...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I can see the potential problem if this became law too, but from the text alone you are just engaging in hyperbole. The text purports to want to quell unreasonable hateful rhetoric directed at religious beliefs (most notably Islam). If that's all it was, then it would be only mildly offensive to my sensibilities.