Canada's M-103

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Canada's M-103

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:29 pm

pErvin wrote:The text purports to want to quell unreasonable hateful rhetoric directed at religious beliefs (most notably Islam). If that's all it was, then it would be only mildly offensive to my sensibilities.
No, it doesn't, but if it did I'd regard it as way more than mildly offensive. I don't not want to be charged with any offence for proclaiming what I really think about the Bible even if the catholic raised magistrate sentencing me regards my opinion as unreasonable.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Well it all depends on how it is implemented. Australia's Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act makes it illegal to "offend" someone on the basis of race. I haven't heard you up in arms about that one. Probably because it is implemented in a reasonable fashion with reasonable qualifications and virtually no one has been convicted under it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Any law which criminalizes "offending" someone is a stupid law.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:48 pm

pErvin wrote:I can see the potential problem if this became law too, but from the text alone you are just engaging in hyperbole. The text purports to want to quell unreasonable hateful rhetoric directed at religious beliefs (most notably Islam). If that's all it was, then it would be only mildly offensive to my sensibilities.
Actually, it says it seeks to quell the "climate of fear and hate" and does not expressly state that it seeks to quell unreasonable hateful rhetoric directed at religious beliefs.

Further, it would be WORSE if it did talk about quelling rhetoric directed at religious beliefs. Religious beliefs should be open to criticism, ridicule and contempt just like any other set of beliefs. It's not our problem if some religious group thinks their religion is holy or sacrosanct. No religion is real. No religion is true. They are all insults to human dignity. Faith is the most overrated of the virtues. Religious dogma is a mind-forged manacle.

We must not let government "quell" our views on religion. If that hurts someone's feelings, so be it. I don't expect the government to silence religious people when they ridicule atheism. They sure as fuck are not deserving of protection from words either.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes, we know "liberals" views on hate speech. Nothing new there. It's easy to be for largely unfettered free speech when you don't face discrimination daily. This is just the usual empathy deficit that conservatives are harnessed with. Most of you have an inability to understand what it would be like to be discriminated against almost constantly. And not to mention that as soon as someone even has the whiff of defaming a conservative they are straight to the courts whining like the man babies they are.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:25 pm

pErvin wrote:Yes, we know "liberals" views on hate speech. Nothing new there. It's easy to be for largely unfettered free speech when you don't face discrimination daily. This is just the usual empathy deficit that conservatives are harnessed with. Most of you have an inability to understand what it would be like to be discriminated against almost constantly. And not to mention that as soon as someone even has the whiff of defaming a conservative they are straight to the courts whining like the man babies they are.
Is this supposed to be an argument in support of making statements like "Religions are the plagues of humanity and Islam is among the worst." a hate crime?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 pm

pErvin wrote:Yes, we know "liberals" views on hate speech. Nothing new there.
Oh, this issue concerns hate speech? Does it? Huh.... if it did, why would there need to be a motion. There is already a hate speech law in Canada.

And, we know the leftist views on speech in general. Nothing new there... that's for sure.
pErvin wrote: It's easy to be for largely unfettered free speech when you don't face discrimination daily.
Oh, well, discrimination is different than speech. If someone is discriminating against you in the provision of services, employment, etc., does that give a person or group the right to be free from criticism, particularly a religious group for their ideas? You're making some connection between Canadians discriminating against Muslims, and the right of Canadians to criticize, ridicule or mock Islam? If not, if that's not fair, then explain what the connection is between a group whose members face discrimination from time-to-time, and the right of people to criticize, ridicule or mock a religion.
pErvin wrote: This is just the usual empathy deficit that conservatives are harnessed with. Most of you have an inability to understand what it would be like to be discriminated against almost constantly. And not to mention that as soon as someone even has the whiff of defaming a conservative they are straight to the courts whining like the man babies they are.
Well, first, you'd have to show that Muslims - in Canada - are, in fact, discriminated against almost constantly. That would be step 1.

Step 2 you'd have to show examples of "conservatives" going to court whining about being defamed. Has that ever happened, once? Certainly not in the US -- in the US if a conservative brought suit suggesting that his conservatism has been defamed, or that that someone said something about him because he's a conservative, he would be laughed out of court. There has never been such a case, at least none that has ever come to trial. If any case like that was ever brought, I submit it would have been dismissed on the pleadings as failing to state a cause of action on which any relief could be granted. I submit also that no such case has ever succeeded in Canada and I doubt one was ever brought.

This "empathy deficit" is just your usual attempt to win arguments by either emotion or insult, and to virtue signal. It's not an argument. We should limit free speech as to certain groups because we empathize with them?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Hermit wrote:
pErvin wrote:Yes, we know "liberals" views on hate speech. Nothing new there. It's easy to be for largely unfettered free speech when you don't face discrimination daily. This is just the usual empathy deficit that conservatives are harnessed with. Most of you have an inability to understand what it would be like to be discriminated against almost constantly. And not to mention that as soon as someone even has the whiff of defaming a conservative they are straight to the courts whining like the man babies they are.
Is this supposed to be an argument in support of making statements like "Religions are the plagues of humanity and Islam is among the worst." a hate crime?
Yes, because pErvin is so kind and compassionate, he understands that Canadians discriminate against Muslims almost constantly. So, it stands to reason that Canadians should not say bad things about Islam. It is his usual perfect, unassailable logic.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Hermit wrote:
No.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm

So what's it an argument for?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:46 pm

It's an argument about the hypocrisy and naivety of liberals, which I am suggesting is potentially tainting your view of this.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

You can be offended if I call your religion stupid, false, dangerous, or irrelevant, but why should it bother you that I don't respect your personal choices? It's not like I don't think you have a right to believe any shit you want nor, by expressing my opinion, am I disavowing your right to a freedom of religion by my expression of my right to a freedom from religion. Storms and teacups come to mind. Be careful Canada.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 pm

pErvin wrote:It's an argument about the hypocrisy and naivety of liberals, which I am suggesting is potentially tainting your view of this.
It's a piss poor argument, then, because it shows zero hypocrisy, and zero naivete'.... didn't you also refer to conservatives being the ones who lacked empathy? I'll double check, but I thought that's what you said.

Edit - yes, here you said - "This is just the usual empathy deficit that conservatives are harnessed with."

So, the lack of empathy of conservatives, and the fact that you think Canadians discriminate against Muslims almost constantly, is an argument for the hypocrisy and naivete of liberals... and the hypocrisy and naivete of liberals relates to Canada's M-103 in a manner you have yet to explain...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:You can be offended if I call your religion stupid, false, dangerous, or irrelevant, but why should it bother you that I don't respect your personal choices? It's not like I don't think you have a right to believe any shit you want nor, by expressing my opinion, am I disavowing your right to a freedom of religion by my expression of my right to a freedom from religion. Storms and teacups come to mind. Be careful Canada.
Well said, Brian.

I would add that it's the "empathy" allegation here that may well be part of the problem. There appears to be a movement among the left that believes they have some sort of kind empathy toward those they label "marginalized." In this case, Muslims. So, they say, they're so put upon - they're so oppressed -- we should have a special rule to protect them against bad things being said about their religion.

It's a very condescending position to take - that most people can have bad things said about their religions, and its fine, but the poor, downtrodden Muslims, they need protection from the ridicule and criticism of their faith. It's a kind of soft bigotry that the virtuous, empathetic leftist applies to say "there there - we'll protect you..." Meanwhile, the goal of factions on the Islamic side is to silence criticism to protect their movement. Win win for both sides. They virtue signalers get to show how kind and compassionate they are, and Islam gets placed on a pedestal, with nobody insulting their holy Prophet.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 pm

I don't disagree with the view that certain groups are marginalized in society, but the question is in what way and to what extent. Women are marginalized economically, as are disabled people. Paedophiles and white supremacists are marginalizes socially and legally. Idiots are marginalized educationally. Working to even out these disparities is not something that falls entirely on the left, nor is ignoring them and/or entrenching them something that falls entirely on the right; though generally the left are less reluctant than the right to address this issue. I can understand why many Muslims might feel under pressure these days, overly scrutinised, or even ill-thought of because of their faith, but for my own part what people believe is their own affair - what people say and do on the other hand is, and should be, open to scrutiny. Nobody gets a free pass on that just because they belong to an un-marginalized group any more than if they belong to a marginalized one.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT