Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:32 pm

pErvin wrote:
JimC wrote:I think the main issue is not that these academic theories are part of such courses, but that they are the only part of the course, and that skeptical enquiry into the received wisdom, and consideration of alternatives is unwelcome.
We only have this guy's anecdote to go by. I looked up a woman's studies program at Australian National University and it had a broad range of topics focussing on the interaction of women with various parts and histories of society.
Australia is a civilized country, though. So, in the US our gender studies programs reflect our uncivilized nature.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:@Jim.. It depends on what articles you are reading. A lot of the articles 42 posts are highly sarcastic and clearly biased, so lack journalistic rigour.
So, post citations or links to the good, reasonable, journalistically rigorous sources.
I don't care. The issue isn't something that bothers me.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:
JimC wrote:I think the main issue is not that these academic theories are part of such courses, but that they are the only part of the course, and that skeptical enquiry into the received wisdom, and consideration of alternatives is unwelcome.
We only have this guy's anecdote to go by. I looked up a woman's studies program at Australian National University and it had a broad range of topics focussing on the interaction of women with various parts and histories of society.
Australia is a civilized country, though. So, in the US our gender studies programs reflect our uncivilized nature.
:indub:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:@Jim.. It depends on what articles you are reading. A lot of the articles 42 posts are highly sarcastic and clearly biased, so lack journalistic rigour.
So, post citations or links to the good, reasonable, journalistically rigorous sources.
No, it's that you can't. You want to declare that what I'm raising and citing to is not good, reasonable or rigorous, and that there are good, reasonable, rigorous sources which are what the normal, rational folks believe and espouse, but you steadfastly refuse to support that position with any examples or evidence of any kind.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:22 pm

Fuck off.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:29 pm

DaveDodo007 wrote:
laklak wrote:I don't understand femsplaining, can a man translate?
It is like mansplaing but it is done by self loathing gimpy cucks or misandrist women.
It usually starts with Mrs. Lak saying "Haven't I told you 1000 times..."
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:48 pm

pErvin wrote:Fuck off.
I suspect that the reason you don't post even one or two examples of this mountain of reasonable, rigorous gender studies publication and research, is that you are unaware of any. You want to say they're out there, but you don't know of any. Isn't that right?

I mean, the easiest thing in the world would be to just post a quick link, citation, etc. Even just name a title and author, such that it can be independently located.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:46 pm

rEv or I can easily find out stuff about Aussie course (and he did), but we are not Americans, so it's up to you to look at the broad range of US courses, not just the ones deemed media worthy because they are a little crazy.

Or, perhaps your sarcastically posted "Australia is a civilized country, though. So, in the US our gender studies programs reflect our uncivilized nature." is actually correct, and your unis are filled with left wing crazies that even rEv would consider over the top... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:26 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
You were here in the thread just to troll then, got it.

Good job. You got me to respond. Would you feel better if I raged at you a bit? I would hate to think your time here was not rewarding to you.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:15 am

Forty Two wrote:
I suspect that the reason you don't post even one or two examples of this mountain of reasonable, rigorous gender studies publication and research, is that you are unaware of any. You want to say they're out there, but you don't know of any. Isn't that right?

I mean, the easiest thing in the world would be to just post a quick link, citation, etc. Even just name a title and author, such that it can be independently located.
What the fuck are you on about? I said that you often post sarcastic biased articles/videos. You do. None of your subsequent wibble changes that. :roll:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:16 am

Cunt wrote:
pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
You were here in the thread just to troll then, got it.

Good job. You got me to respond. Would you feel better if I raged at you a bit? I would hate to think your time here was not rewarding to you.
trolololol.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:05 pm

You participate in threads, then insist you aren't interested enough in the subject to engage. Don't worry, I think everyone can guess who you are talking about when you say trolololol.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Hey - our gender studies is bigger than your gender studies, so there! Look! http://www.sussex.ac.uk/gender/

On a more serious note if I was a young woman with an ounce of intelligence and realised what a fucked up male world this is, I would seriously consider signing up and what is more becoming a so called 'radical feminist'.

The War that should be fought is the war on Testosterone!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:44 pm

JimC wrote:rEv or I can easily find out stuff about Aussie course (and he did), but we are not Americans, so it's up to you to look at the broad range of US courses, not just the ones deemed media worthy because they are a little crazy.

Or, perhaps your sarcastically posted "Australia is a civilized country, though. So, in the US our gender studies programs reflect our uncivilized nature." is actually correct, and your unis are filled with left wing crazies that even rEv would consider over the top... ;)
Who are some left wing crazies that even rEv would consider over the top?

Did he link to the Aussie course?

It's not up to me to look at a broad range of courses. What I posted was not a media report from a newspaper or sensationalist website. In the OP it's an argument from experience on a blog post, telling us what nutty concepts are taught in gender studies courses. The question is about whether gender studies courses are really eminently reasonable, and the nutty stuff is just fringe activist weirdos piping off -- or, are the gender studies courses teaching the nutty stuff?

Moreover, even if there are some reasonable concepts taught in genders studies courses, that doesn't change the fact that they are teaching nuttery, if indeed they are teaching nuttery.

And, moreover again, we aren't even getting down in a clear and cohesive fashion what the "sides" on this forum deem to be nuttery. I have asked several different ways for folks to tell me what concepts, people, publications, etc., are the nutty stuff, and what's the good feminism or social justice stuff. There seems to be some resistance to call things that feminists and social justice folks say "nuttty" even when it's nutty. I suspect it's because when someone sees the "greater good" being sought, then nuttiness in the furtherance of the greater good ought not be criticized (so that we don't stifle the greater good).

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:46 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

What the fuck are you on about? I said that you often post sarcastic biased articles/videos. You do. None of your subsequent wibble changes that. :roll:
I am on about the fact that you can't post one or two examples of the reasonable, rigorous gender studies publication and research to which you referred above. If you can, then link it. If you have no interest in the conversation and therefore can't be arsed to participate in it, then go fuck off instead of continually posting in threads you say you don't care about.