Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post Reply
User avatar
NineBerry
Tame Wolf
Posts: 7629
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: nSk
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Forty Two wrote:Oh, so you called me a homophobe based on my unwillingness to accept your hypothesis without evidence.

Where is your case for the "love genes?"
There is a scientific consensus that homosexuality is something you are born with rather than something you decide on.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:13 pm

If there is a set of genes that determine if someone is homosexual, then one could look at a person's genome and know if they're homosexual. Is that possible? Please provide your link to the consensus and any other evidence.

Also, what's your definition of gender?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
NineBerry
Tame Wolf
Posts: 7629
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: nSk
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:42 pm

You don't understand how genes work. You cannot look at someone's genome and know exactly how they look and behave. There are most certainly genes that increase the probability that a person carrying them is homosexual. The consensus is out there. You cannot overlook it when reading on the topic in serious sources.

I have given my definition of gender before:
Gender is the social sex. It refers to the stereotypic roles/behaviours that society assigns to certain sexes.
Now I can already hear you say how can social stereotypes come from genes? But I have not said that the gender genes create genders but that they control what gender a person identifies with.
There must be some genes (Let's call them gender genes) that create a behaviour pattern of "You are male(female), go seek out what is considered male(female) behaviour and this is who you are".
Just like there are inherited behaviour patterns in many women that say "powerful men are attractive". But these patterns do now say how to recognize powerful men. The general pattern is refined by what the individual learns from society.

So, young girls like pink ponies. Do they like pink ponies because there biology tells them to? Hardy possible, there are no pink ponies in nature. So, girls are obviously influenced by society that says that it is correct for girls to like pink ponies.

But how do girls know that they are girls? Either they do only know they are girls because society tells them that they are girls or there is some behavioural pattern that makes them willingly assume the role that society associates with being a girl.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:55 pm

NineBerry wrote:You don't understand how genes work. You cannot look at someone's genome and know exactly how they look and behave.
That's what I'm saying. But, you can look at their genome and see what color eyes they have.
NineBerry wrote: There are most certainly genes that increase the probability that a person carrying them is homosexual. The consensus is out there. You cannot overlook it when reading on the topic in serious sources.
Citation needed.

NineBerry wrote: I have given my definition of gender before:
Gender is the social sex. It refers to the stereotypic roles/behaviours that society assigns to certain sexes.
Now I can already hear you say how can social stereotypes come from genes? But I have not said that the gender genes create genders but that they control what gender a person identifies with.
Citation needed.
NineBerry wrote:
There must be some genes (Let's call them gender genes) that create a behaviour pattern of "You are male(female), go seek out what is considered male(female) behaviour and this is who you are".
Just like there are inherited behaviour patterns in many women that say "powerful men are attractive". But these patterns do now say how to recognize powerful men. The general pattern is refined by what the individual learns from society.
Yet, in some cultures, what people find attractive differs markedly. Are fat women attractive to men? Is that genetic? What do women in a culture find attractive? Is it genetic, or is it something else?

I'm open to your gene-theory and your "scientific consensus." ONly,you've not cited to it, or linked, or anything. Other than your own speculation, do you have any sources of any kind for the proposition you are advancing?
NineBerry wrote:
So, young girls like pink ponies. Do they like pink ponies because there biology tells them to? Hardy possible, there are no pink ponies in nature. So, girls are obviously influenced by society that says that it is correct for girls to like pink ponies.
O.k., that's nice. So, identifying as someone who adheres to the social construct that says girls like pink ponies is not a genetic thing.
NineBerry wrote:
But how do girls know that they are girls? Either they do only know they are girls because society tells them that they are girls or there is some behavioural pattern that makes them willingly assume the role that society associates with being a girl.
How do they, indeed? That's the question. Maybe they don't. Maybe if you raised a girl to call herself a boy, she'd do that until she was old enough to look around and see that other humans with her features call themselves girls.

There may be a behavioral pattern that makes them willingly assume the role that society associates with being a girl (assuming there is a thing called society that can make associations - I mean, people make associations - society is just a group of individuals). But, nevertheless, following your premise, that behavioral pattern need not be genetic. What's your evidence or citation for your assertion that girls know they're girls because of some gene or set of genes which makes them identify as whatever society associates with girls?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 67667
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Oh, so you called me a homophobe based on my unwillingness to accept your hypothesis without evidence.

Where is your case for the "love genes?"
There is a scientific consensus that homosexuality is something you are born with rather than something you decide on.
Gene variation is one likely component to this, but so are in utero influences. A recent study suggested that male foetuses generate antibodies in the mother's bloodstream, which can accumulate and affect the biological status of subsequent babies. This is only one possible mechanism. There seems little doubt that the broad scientific consensus is that sexual orientation has a large biological component, whether genetic or influences during pregnancy, but as with all such factors, it is not set in stone, but susceptible to some modification via socialisation.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 14960
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:12 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:53 pm
However, as I've already said, it seems pretty clear that, within such courses, they are anything but welcoming to a diversity of views. Their particular method of analysis is one among many social theories, but it seems that, within their domain, it is Holy Writ, not to be viewed with appropriate rational skepticism. Academic marxists of the past had a rather similar bent...
It seems relentless.

I for one find it difficult in real life to talk clumsily about the subjects attaching themselves to the gender studies core. Oh, and believe it or not, I find it difficult to avoid clumsy talk at all. :)

Even careful speakers have difficulty, according to reports.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

I don't want to forget this enlightening quote by our prestigious and sage member...
Hermit wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 am
Trump supporters are fundamentally racist.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 55250
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:32 pm

Cunt's trolling around for some more victims.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 14960
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:33 pm

pErv is trolling around for some more...something.

I think he wants attention, so here it is.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

I don't want to forget this enlightening quote by our prestigious and sage member...
Hermit wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 am
Trump supporters are fundamentally racist.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 67667
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:58 pm

Is there a secret agenda in a gender studies course?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 14960
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:30 pm

JimC wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:58 pm
Is there a secret agenda in a gender studies course?
Well, I've heard that they are 'anything but welcoming to a diversity of views'.


Not exactly a secret agenda.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

I don't want to forget this enlightening quote by our prestigious and sage member...
Hermit wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 am
Trump supporters are fundamentally racist.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 31512
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:50 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
rainbow
Posts: 11647
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter
Location: Africa
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post by rainbow » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:19 pm

Cunt wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:30 pm
JimC wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:58 pm
Is there a secret agenda in a gender studies course?
Well, I've heard that they are 'anything but welcoming to a diversity of views'.
How ignorant. :smug:

Clearly you've never heard of the schism between the Vegan Socialists and the Activist Ethicists.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 31512
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:48 am



Isn't this something worth studying?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests