Universal Basic Income thread

Would you support it if it was economically cheaper than your current welfare system?

Yes
38%
Yes, why wouldn't I?
44%
No
6%
No, class warfare for me!
No votes
No (== Seth)
No votes
Cheese
6%
Dev
6%

Total votes: 16

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Universal Basic Income thread

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 am

hard to procure a still, or even the components for one, let alone the equipment to make decent amounts of fermented drink.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

Make beer. It's easy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

Actually, you can make spirits with a watermelon and not much else. Probably tastes fairly shit, but if you need yer grog...
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 pm

pErvin wrote:Make beer. It's easy.
Actually, when I retire, I'm thinking of getting a home brewing kit, and giving it a go...

"Jim's Pale Ale"

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:54 am

pErvin wrote:Actually, you can make spirits with a watermelon and not much else. Probably tastes fairly shit, but if you need yer grog...
...which is why the Good Lord gave us activated charcoal and sugar.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:43 pm

JimC wrote:
Actually, when I retire, I'm thinking of getting a home brewing kit, and giving it a go...

"Jim's Pale Ale"

Since you're Aussie, I expect nothing less than the equivalent of Fosters. It's Australian for "beer." :biggrin:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Forty Two wrote:
JimC wrote:

"Jim's Pale Ale"

Since you're Aussie, I expect nothing less than the equivalent of Fosters. It's Australian for "beer." :biggrin:
That's the myth anyway, an advertising ploy to enable its manufacturers, who are not Australian, to chargee higher prices by pretending Fosters piss comes from a foreign country. More Australians actually spell beer like this:

Fosters has been out of the top ten for many years.

Fosters Lager has been around for well over a century, and it has changed. It was a good beer until the 1960s. Then the owners decided to go global, which meant going for the lowest common denominator. Also, keep in mind that Fosters Lager is not an Australian beer. At least not any more. From the Wikipedia:
a New York consumer of Foster's Lager sued the brewer after - he claimed - discovering it was not brewed in Australia. He proposed a class action on the grounds of deceptive marketing. The suit cited advertising slogans such as 'Foster's Australian for Beer' and 'How to Speak Australian' were intended to trick consumers into believing the beer is made in Australia- which in turn meant the beer could be sold at a higher, premium price.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:00 am

Could one of the Chermans (or a speaker of such) check this out and tell me if there's anything scammy about it at all? - https://www.mein-grundeinkommen.de/

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:41 am

This is fully legit. There were documentaries on the television recently on people who had won last year. You don't need to pay anything to participate. You just need to give complete and correct details on name and address as in your passport (so that they can check no one registers twice).

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 am

One should note that this not really a basic income. Because it lasts only one year and because it is not a right. This basically just a lottery where you can participate for free and have the chance to win 12k euro.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 am

Here's a report on the lottery in German state television Deutsche Welle

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:57 am

NineBerry wrote:This is fully legit. There were documentaries on the television recently on people who had won last year. You don't need to pay anything to participate. You just need to give complete and correct details on name and address as in your passport (so that they can check no one registers twice).
cheers for that, Nine!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 am

NineBerry wrote:One should note that this not really a basic income. Because it lasts only one year and because it is not a right. This basically just a lottery where you can participate for free and have the chance to win 12k euro.
Yeah. It's more about raising awareness of the concept of a UBI. The other difference between it and a lottery is that you don't have pay for a ticket.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 am

I'm all for it. Bring it on. I figure my most basic income, that would support me in the style to which I would like to be (and deserve to be) accustomed, is about $10,000 a month. OK, I'll likely do without my daily beluga and Dom, but I can make do if y'all can.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am

How do zebra crossings work in your country?