Universal Basic Income thread

Would you support it if it was economically cheaper than your current welfare system?

Yes
38%
Yes, why wouldn't I?
44%
No
6%
No, class warfare for me!
No votes
No (== Seth)
No votes
Cheese
6%
Dev
6%

Total votes: 16

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Universal Basic Income thread

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:56 am

There's a growing collection of analysis to suggest that in a lot of welfare systems it would be cheaper to provide everyone a basic income (around about the poverty level) and get rid of a bunch of welfare systems and bureaucrats. Obvious examples would be unemployment benefits and old age pensions. Then there is the intangible value of operating a system that is fairer and gives disadvantaged people some minimum certainty and dignity. Would you support it? If you would, under what conditions would you support it? If you wouldn't support it, why not?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Re: Universal Basic Income thread

Post by Tyrannical » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:19 am

I think any country that did offer a basic income would soon find itself flooded with immigrants, migrants, and refugees. And that would be the end of it.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:02 am

Well you'd have to have a workable immigration policy. You obviously can't let millions of people into your country.

But I often think about the case with Australia and New Zealand. We have reasonably open immigration, although it's been tightened a bit in recent years. Imagine if New Zealand instituted a UBI. Probably hundreds of thousands of Australian dole recipients would probably be on the first plane over there. They'd have to institute some controls if UBI was introduced.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:04 am

OK in principle. But there's usually a catch with ideas too good to be true. Free and easy money would not be spent wisely methinks. At least with the sort of people I've mixed with over a lifetime.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:09 am

Past experiments suggest otherwise. I'll post some links later.

The reason it seems too good to be true, isn't necessarily because of any rational analysis, it's because of ingrained conservative moralising that everyone has to work to survive, or die. The bollocks moralising that getting something "free" from society is inherently wrong. Well, more accurately, that the lower classes getting something free is inherently wrong. Conservatives are fine with the upper classes getting heaps of actual welfare and general economic benefits.

Basically, if it is cheaper to do away with the bureaucracy, then it's not a case of any 'money growing on trees' kind of thinking. It's a simple calculation.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:44 am

Academic studies don't usually foresee the real world issues with things. Why would all those folks on low paid mind-numbingly boring menial jobs bother when for a few dollars less they'd be time wealthy? :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 am

Who said anything about "academic studies"?

Remember, automation is going to increasingly remove the needs for humans to do those menial jobs.

And removing people from the need to do shit jobs frees them up to get better educated and/or pursue other vocations that can add to society intellectually or artistically.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 am

A good implementation of a basic income is done so that people earning little at the end get that little on top of their basic income while the people earning a lot pay more in taxes compared to today so that they have then in the end the same net income or less compared to today.

Today, many social security systems are made so that when people earn a little income, they loose social benefits and have less net income on a dollar earned compared to what high income earners pay on taxes.

That is a huge incentive for people to take low income jobs.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:22 am

rEvolutionist wrote: We have reasonably open immigration, although it's been tightened a bit in recent years.
Lol! No shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... facilities
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

piscator

Post by piscator » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 am

Australia should step up and solve the Syrian/Eritrean World Immigration Crisis. They have plenty of room for the lads, and later for their families still stuck in whatever humanitarian hellhole their military-aged sons left them in.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 am

At the moment the UK is underwriting the banks to the tune of £8000 pa for every man, woman, and child. At least if they gave every man, woman, and child £8000 pa people would buy stuff and boost the economy. Of course the UK is borrowing a big chunk of that 8k each so they could say make the unearned wage c. £3000 pa, which would at least pay your rent for a year if you were a low earner, or be worth a nice holiday if you were a high earner.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

piscator

Post by piscator » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm

They're only underwriting the banks with the Crown's munny, which probably came from looting some raja or plying the opium trade anyway. It can't be taxpayer munnies going to prop up the munny system

As larger and larger segments of the workforce are displaced by machines, a UBI will be talked about more and more seriously. Until then, I'll work people like animals to get what I want.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm with piscator on this one. It's going to happen at some point, so we should wait and see how it's implemented elsewhere. Let somebody else debug the system. Or maybe we'll be grubbing a subsistence living by then, in which case I'll be the warchief of a bunch of coastal raiders.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:12 pm

:lou: universal basic income but combined with universal basic work requirements. I don't think requiring all non retirees to work 20 hours a week is unreasonable.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:21 pm

"There can be no doubt that some minimum of food, shelter, and clothing, sufficient to preserve health and the capacity to work, can be assured to everybody. … [This is] no privilege but a legitimate object of desire … [that] can be provided for all outside of and supplementary to the market system." FA Hayek, The Road to Serfdom (1944). But, any Progressive will tell you that such classical liberal Austrian school economics has, as we know, been proven wrong by Keynesian economic theory. :prof:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar