rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by rainbow » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:17 am

What is it about Apprentice hosts?

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:50 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 am
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:37 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:24 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 pm
ABC, however, is not a state news agency. Is it?
Correct. The ABC is not a state news agency. However, the Australian government does pay for the news it disseminates, and according to you
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm
If the government pays for the news, then it's not "independent" of the government.
That was your categorical statement. Neither the ABC nor SBS was excepted until after I objected.
Wrong, and disingenuous.

The ONLY thing that I said "risked becoming Pravda" was a "state news agency." I did not - ever - say that receipt of government funding made an entity a "state news agency."
This is just disingenuous bullshit. Why did you introduce the concept of a "state news agency" in reply to my point about how to get an independent media? What was your purpose in bringing that in? I put it to you, and I strongly suspect Hermit thinks the same way, that you did that as a rhetorical device to kind of poison the well against public broadcasting. You'll of course deny that. So be it. But don't pretend we don't have a good reason for thinking you were trying to associate the two types of government funded broadcasting.
Are you still on this? What the fuck, man? How many times do I have to explain this? The concept of a state news agency is one end of the fucking spectrum, from totally private on the one end, and totally state controlled on the other. It's a discussion about the issues. It's not an attack on Australia or public broadcasting. I have no issue with public broadcasting.

How the fuck could you believe that I was "poisoning the well against public broadcasting" when the sentence before that stated - explicitly - literally - flat out - that public broadcasting funded by the government was "not an issue?" You don't have a "good reason" to think I was trying to associate State news agencies with mere public broadcasting like PBS - because I clearly, to anyone who would read in good faith, made a distinction between the two concepts. The reality is that you aren't reading in good faith. You don't want to have a good faith discussion of any issues. All you want to do is fight.

Man, this is fucking surreal.

You actually attacked public funding of media, not me. You're the one who said that the Coalition government was "continually trying to decimate" the ABC by cutting funding, precisely because they don't like what the ABC is publishing (alleged left wing bias). That was YOU that said that, not me. If anything "poisons the well" against it, it's the assertion that the government tries to cut funding of public broadcasting because they don't like what it publishes.

I, on the other hand, said there was no issue with some public funding of media like public broadcasting.

What is so hard about this for you to understand?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:58 pm

It is certainly true that the current government thinks that the ABC is a bunch of lefties, and that they may try to hamper it via finance limitations, but it's structure makes it pretty well impossible to exert editorial control. It's not a case of them "mucking about with funding to try to influence the news", but simply a petulant knee-jerk reaction which (as they well know) will not alter the journalistic ethos of the ABC.
And, I never said they were even trying to alter or hamper anything. Others did.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 am
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:37 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:24 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 pm
ABC, however, is not a state news agency. Is it?
Correct. The ABC is not a state news agency. However, the Australian government does pay for the news it disseminates, and according to you
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm
If the government pays for the news, then it's not "independent" of the government.
That was your categorical statement. Neither the ABC nor SBS was excepted until after I objected.
Wrong, and disingenuous.

The ONLY thing that I said "risked becoming Pravda" was a "state news agency." I did not - ever - say that receipt of government funding made an entity a "state news agency."
This is just disingenuous bullshit. Why did you introduce the concept of a "state news agency" in reply to my point about how to get an independent media? What was your purpose in bringing that in? I put it to you, and I strongly suspect Hermit thinks the same way, that you did that as a rhetorical device to kind of poison the well against public broadcasting. You'll of course deny that. So be it. But don't pretend we don't have a good reason for thinking you were trying to associate the two types of government funded broadcasting.
Are you still on this? What the fuck, man? How many times do I have to explain this? The concept of a state news agency is one end of the fucking spectrum, from totally private on the one end, and totally state controlled on the other. It's a discussion about the issues. It's not an attack on Australia or public broadcasting. I have no issue with public broadcasting.

How the fuck could you believe that I was "poisoning the well against public broadcasting" when the sentence before that stated - explicitly - literally - flat out - that public broadcasting funded by the government was "not an issue?"

No, you literally said some funding was not an issue. The ABC, for example, is fully funded by the government. Stop with your disingenuous bullshit.
You don't have a "good reason" to think I was trying to associate State news agencies with mere public broadcasting like PBS - because I clearly, to anyone who would read in good faith, made a distinction between the two concepts. The reality is that you aren't reading in good faith. You don't want to have a good faith discussion of any issues. All you want to do is fight.

Ffs, stop sooking will you? Not everything is people being nasty to poor old 42. You said something that multiple people reasonably read as associating some public broadcasting with state media, and instead of accepting you were either unclear or were indeed trying to associate the two, you go on a big sook-fest of epic proportions. For about 178th time this year. Honestly, you're the most persecuted snowflake on the internet. :roll:

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:05 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:11 pm
Forty Two wrote:

How the fuck could you believe that I was "poisoning the well against public broadcasting" when the sentence before that stated - explicitly - literally - flat out - that public broadcasting funded by the government was "not an issue?"

No, you literally said some funding was not an issue. The ABC, for example, is fully funded by the government. Stop with your disingenuous bullshit.
Come off it, man. I wasn't referring to the ABC. I don't know how much funding the ABC gets, nor did I know at the time, nor were were talking about the ABC. Fuck off with your claptrap.

And, some government funding of public broadcasting is, in fact, not an issue. I wasn't going to go so far as to say "all" government funding of public broadcasting is not an issue, because plainly there are circumstances where some WOULD be an issue. This is not an either/or or black/white issue.

Christ, I've explained this over and over, and still you insist I said something I did not. Who gives fuck if the ABC is fully funded. I've never expressed an opinion about the ABC, I don't know how it's funded or organized, and that wasn't what we were talking about. Others brought up the ABC afterward, pitching a fucking idiotic fit over me not specifically mentioning the ABC as not being like Pravda. I have no idea how the fucking thing is structured. I accept the bits and pieces about the ABC that have been provide - that it's got some board of directors and CEO and gets funding specified in Parliament or something - but, even that was rather vague and non-detailed about it's structure and operations. But, who cares?

I also didn't carve out a caveat for Senegal or Chili, or Canada, or the Netherlands, or Austria, or any other country around the world. I don't know how their public broadcasting systems work. You don't see Canadians jumping in and carping on about how the CBC isn't like Pravda either. You know why? Because I never fucking said it was. Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, you're pathetic. Fuck off.

pErvinalia wrote:
You don't have a "good reason" to think I was trying to associate State news agencies with mere public broadcasting like PBS - because I clearly, to anyone who would read in good faith, made a distinction between the two concepts. The reality is that you aren't reading in good faith. You don't want to have a good faith discussion of any issues. All you want to do is fight.

Ffs, stop sooking will you? Not everything is people being nasty to poor old 42. You said something that multiple people reasonably read as associating some public broadcasting with state media, and instead of accepting you were either unclear or were indeed trying to associate the two, you go on a big sook-fest of epic proportions. For about 178th time this year. Honestly, you're the most persecuted snowflake on the internet. :roll:
Stop sooking? You're sitting here sooking about some insult to the fucking ABC - an insult I never made.

Oh, you're changing the goalpost now? No it was not "associating SOME PUBLIC BROADCASTING with state media" you dingenuous twit. It was the accusation of associating the ABC - specifically the ABC - with state media. Of course SOME public broadcasting can be associated with state media. The public broadcasting in fucking Russia - and the former Soviet Union - sure as shit was state media. That's the end of the spectrum I referred to.

I wasn't in the least unclear - you are being dishonest, and frankly, it's to the point of ridiculousness. I never said shit about ABC. I've explained and reposted the post several times, and it never gets through your thick skull. I just fucking told you above that the state news agency reference was to one end of the spectrum. I referred to private media as the other end of the spectrum. In the fucking middle is government funded public broadcasting of the fucking kind we have in the US for fuck's sake. We have it here. It's not fucking Pravda, man. Do you think I'm calling PBS and NPR "Pravda?" All I said is that state news agencies "risk becoming" Pravda. How in the fuck you or Hermit could possibly think that's an attack on the ABC....

And, don't leave out the fact that YOU are the one who said that your GOVERNMENT is "continually trying to DECIMATE" the ABC because the ABC publishes what the current government thinks is too lefty for their liking. That's what YOU said. That's far more an attack on the Ozzie system than anything I said. I don't even know if what you said was accurate. I don't care. But, it's what you said, not me.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:05 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

Come off it, man. I wasn't referring to the ABC. I don't know how much funding the ABC gets, nor did I know at the time, nor were were talking about the ABC. Fuck off with your claptrap.

And, some government funding of public broadcasting is, in fact, not an issue. I wasn't going to go so far as to say "all" government funding of public broadcasting is not an issue, because plainly there are circumstances where some WOULD be an issue. This is not an either/or or black/white issue.

Christ, I've explained this over and over, and still you insist I said something I did not. Who gives fuck if the ABC is fully funded. I've never expressed an opinion about the ABC, I don't know how it's funded or organized, and that wasn't what we were talking about. Others brought up the ABC afterward, pitching a fucking idiotic fit over me not specifically mentioning the ABC as not being like Pravda. I have no idea how the fucking thing is structured. I accept the bits and pieces about the ABC that have been provide - that it's got some board of directors and CEO and gets funding specified in Parliament or something - but, even that was rather vague and non-detailed about it's structure and operations. But, who cares?

I also didn't carve out a caveat for Senegal or Chili, or Canada, or the Netherlands, or Austria, or any other country around the world. I don't know how their public broadcasting systems work. You don't see Canadians jumping in and carping on about how the CBC isn't like Pravda either. You know why? Because I never fucking said it was. Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, you're pathetic. Fuck off.

pErvinalia wrote:

Stop sooking? You're sitting here sooking about some insult to the fucking ABC - an insult I never made.
You are so damn partisan and nationalistic and the like. You just can't understand how someone can critique a point objectively. I don't give a fuck if you insult Australia and/or the ABC. Both of them are deserving of criticism. As I have already told you, the ABC is only relevant in that it fits the context of the discussion. Substitute ABC with any other fully government funded public broadcaster from anywhere in the world if it helps you get your blinkers off.
Oh, you're changing the goalpost now? No it was not "associating SOME PUBLIC BROADCASTING with state media" you dingenuous twit. It was the accusation of associating the ABC - specifically the ABC - with state media.
What in the fuck are you talking about?! I never specifically accused you of associating specifically the ABC with state media. :fp: Again, the ABC is only relevant because it fits the context. Are you utterly unable to have a non-partisan/biased debate about something??
Of course SOME public broadcasting can be associated with state media. The public broadcasting in fucking Russia - and the former Soviet Union - sure as shit was state media. That's the end of the spectrum I referred to.

I wasn't in the least unclear - you are being dishonest, and frankly, it's to the point of ridiculousness. I never said shit about ABC.
This is why you just can't understand the points being raised with you. You think this is about the ABC specifically, when it's not. You are so damned biased and blinkered you just can't look at anything objectively. It's why you continually get yourself in these kinds of mess.
I've explained and reposted the post several times, and it never gets through your thick skull. I just fucking told you above that the state news agency reference was to one end of the spectrum. I referred to private media as the other end of the spectrum. In the fucking middle is government funded public broadcasting of the fucking kind we have in the US for fuck's sake. We have it here. It's not fucking Pravda, man. Do you think I'm calling PBS and NPR "Pravda?" All I said is that state news agencies "risk becoming" Pravda. How in the fuck you or Hermit could possibly think that's an attack on the ABC....
And there it is again. "An attack on the ABC"?? I don't care if you attack the ABC, and I didn't view it as an attack on the ABC. I viewed it as an attempt to smear some types of public broadcasting with propaganda. Can you take your fucking blinkers off for one second?
And, don't leave out the fact that YOU are the one who said that your GOVERNMENT is "continually trying to DECIMATE" the ABC because the ABC publishes what the current government thinks is too lefty for their liking. That's what YOU said. That's far more an attack on the Ozzie system than anything I said. I don't even know if what you said was accurate. I don't care. But, it's what you said, not me.
:lol: You really are off with the fucking fairies. You really do think this is about me being offended that the ABC was attacked. My God, you really are fucking deluded.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 pm

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:19 pm

One small victory for conservatives (including the ones who pretend to be liberal) against the oppression of the radical feminazis! :cranky:

Walgreens Pharmacist Denies Woman With Unviable Pregnancy the Medication Needed to End It
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/us/w ... riage.html
Nine weeks into her pregnancy, Nicole Arteaga got distressing news from her doctor: There was no fetal heartbeat and the pregnancy would end in a miscarriage.

Rather than have a surgical procedure to remove the fetal tissue from her uterus, Ms. Arteaga, a first-grade teacher who lives in Peoria, Ariz., decided on Wednesday to take misoprostol, a medication that can be used to end a failed pregnancy.

The medication is approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration for use by a licensed provider to end a pregnancy within the first 10 weeks, for what is known as a medical abortion.

She dropped off a prescription for the medication and by that night, got an email saying it was ready to be picked up.

But when she tried to get the medication from her local Walgreens on Thursday, the pharmacist asked whether she was pregnant. When she said she was, he refused to give her the misoprostol, citing “his ethical beliefs,” she recalled in a detailed account on Facebook.

Ms. Arteaga described her response in the post, which has been shared more than 30,000 times.

“I stood at the mercy of this pharmacist explaining my situation in front of my 7-year-old, and five customers standing behind only to be denied because of his ethical beliefs,” she wrote, adding, “I left Walgreens in tears, ashamed and feeling humiliated by a man who knows nothing of my struggles but feels it is his right to deny medication prescribed to me by my doctor.”
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:41 pm

This whole "it offends my sincerely held beliefs" bullshit needs to stop. I don't care who you fucking are or what business you're in, you serve the fucking public or you go out of business. I don't give a shit about protected classes or politics or skin color or anything else. This goes for pharmacists, bakers, restaurants, taxi drivers, doctors - doesn't matter. I'd shut down that pharmacy just as fast as I'd shut down the Red Hen Restaurant. Fuck them in their sanctimonious asses.

Unless, of course, we just go ahead and say "anyone is allowed to discriminate against anyone they want for whatever reason". I'm fine with that too. Before I take your drink order you'll need to fill out this questionnaire and take the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. We'll let you know if you meet our strict standards.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 pm

I always fail the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. It says I haven't got any.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak

Post by laklak » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 pm

They said I had too many.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:21 pm

laklak wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:41 pm
Unless, of course, we just go ahead and say "anyone is allowed to discriminate against anyone they want for whatever reason".
Freedum!

laklak

Post by laklak » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:23 pm

I'd go out of business because I fucking hate everybody. NO HUMANS BEYOND THIS POINT!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:45 pm
It's not hard to find a place to get an abortion... Not quite sure who is having a huge problem getting an abortion if they want one.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:53 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:56 am
There's a bit of a stink going on in Oz at the moment. It's the same stink that gets caused every time a woman gets murdered when alone at night. There was a horrible rape and murder of a young lady a couple of days ago in a park at night. The police commissioner (I think) when talking about the attack has said that people need to be careful about their surrounds when out at night alone. So this has brought out the usual accusations of "victim blaming", when it really isn't that at all. The argument always seems to be - it's either the man's fault, or it's the woman's fault because you said that people should be careful. But this is a false dichotomy. The commissioner isn't saying this is the woman's fault and that men don't have to change their behaviour. Of course the man is at fault. But that doesn't change the fact that everyone (not just women) need to be careful when they are out alone at night. Telling someone to be aware of their surroundings at night, and to look for potential dangers, isn't saying that such an attack isn't fully the responsibility of the attacker. It would be like saying - you can't tell people to wear seatbelts and that if they get hit by a drunk driver and they aren't wearing a seatbelt they might die.
On this topic, a mate posted an interesting thought on facebook:
Police tell women that for their own safety they should not go dark places at night on their own. While this advice might seem like common sense on the surface, it's just a meme, a thought bubble. The evidence tends to point in the opposite direction: women get raped in their homes, office work parties, nightclub toilets. So police should be advising women to walk in the dark alone and not go home.