Problematic Stuff

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:53 pm

:bump:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 am

:bored: :bored:
It is a new year.

You may say something refreshingly original and different.

We don't really need you droning on and on about how you've been marginalised.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:33 pm

rainbow wrote::bored: :bored:
It is a new year.

You may say something refreshingly original and different.

We don't really need you droning on and on about how you've been marginalised.
I never said I was marginalized.

I'll stop pointing out the problematic stuff, when folks stop declaring things problematic. What's wrong with talking about the latest on the cutting-edge of progressive cultural thought?

Also, I was excoriated for not "seriously" addressing the Live Aid issue. Of course, I really wasn't addressing it in the first place in a serious manner - I was taking the piss and mocking the trite lyrics of one of the songs. I was then attacked for mocking the song because of all the good and charitable service of Live Aid and all of its giving and caring fans who bought CDs and paid for concerts, some of which money went to the Live Aid cause.

So, I addressed Live Aid "seriously," which is what I was asked to do. Now there's no comment and nobody addressing it, even when I provided the serious attention to the serious issue. I guess the fact that all that CD money helped kill innocent people, saved nobody from starving, and helped a brutal dictator in his genocidal battle for supremacy in Ethiopia, all while aggrandizing Bob Geldoff who was specifically warned about the brutal dictator and the inability of the funds to get to its intended beneficiaries (but which he ignored in favor of phot ops), doesn't change the fact that Live Aid is just too good a cause to be the subject of piss-takes. :tut:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Meritocracy -- a tool of whiteness -- very problematic - https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10342

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 pm

He said - "[meritocracy] ignores systemic barriers and institutional structures that prevent opportunity and success.”

Do you find that an unreasonable thing to say?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:24 am

Meritocracy is fine when there is a level playing field. However, people living in poverty, or people who are discriminated against for other reasons have larger hurdles to overcome than wealthier people with the same intrinsic abilities. Recognising this does not mean abandoning the concept of valuing intrinsic merit...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 am

Yeahbut nasty corporations are picking on conservative white males!!

'James Damore Sues Google, Alleging Discrimination Against Conservative White Men'
James Damore, the former Google engineer who was fired after he wrote a memo sharply criticizing diversity efforts at the company, has filed a class-action lawsuit against his former employer alleging that the tech giant discriminates against conservative white men.

"Google executives and employees condemned Damore, his memo, and his views," according to the lawsuit, filed Monday. Damore says he was laughed at, personally insulted and attacked, before ultimately being fired in August.

Damore is joined in his suit by David Gudeman, a former Google employee who was fired in December 2016. Gudeman used an internal forum to question a Muslim co-worker's account of being targeted by the FBI on the basis of his religion and suggested that the FBI had legitimate reasons to investigate the co-worker. Google human resources fired him, saying it was unacceptable to accuse a colleague of terrorism based on their religion.

Gudeman had previously been cited by HR, according to the suit, after he saw a female Google manager's advice on how white men should respond to statements about bias and compared it to something "slave owners would have written for their slaves to help them understand how to interact with their masters."

The suit also says there are other potential class members and includes more than 80 pages of allegedly offensive or discriminatory posts made on a variety of platforms. The first item under "Anti-conservative postings" was an anonymous Kermit tea meme reading, "I think all of Trump's supporters are deplorable for backing an openly racist candidate, but that's none of my business." Under "Anti-Caucasian" postings was an anonymous comment telling white, male and/or straight people that "there are times to just shut up and listen. Try for some empathy. You'll learn a lot."

"Damore, Gudeman, and other class members were ostracized, belittled, and punished for their heterodox political views," the lawsuit states, "and for the added sin of their birth circumstances of being Caucasians and/or males."

"We look forward to defending against Mr. Damore's lawsuit in court," a Google spokesperson told Reuters.

Damore's lawyer, Harmeet Dhillon, says Damore was encouraged by his employer to share his opinion and should not have been fired for doing so, NPR's Laura Sydell reports.

"They had this vague gestalt response saying he 'perpetuated gender stereotypes,' " Dhillon, who is a Republican Party official, said. "Well, Google perpetuates gender stereotypes about men every day."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:55 am

Fucking snowflake.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 am

Forty Two wrote:Meritocracy -- a tool of whiteness -- very problematic - https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10342
This victim mentality of the pasty-faced ones is getting quite tiresome.

Don't see it as a problem, it is a 'challenge'.
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 am

Campus Reform exposes the liberal bias and abuse against conservatives on America’s colleges and universities.

As a Campus Reform reader, you know about the abuse taking place at our nation’s higher education institutions, and you know how important it is to bring these stories to light.

College campuses are no longer bastions of higher learning. Professors indoctrinate students with their agendas. They even silence conservative students with their attempts to suppress free speech.

Campus Reform depends on the financial support of concerned Americans like you to report on leftist indoctrination on college campuses and uncover the blatant misconduct of university administrators, faculty, and students.
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10342

Diddums.
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm

rainbow wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Meritocracy -- a tool of whiteness -- very problematic - https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10342
This victim mentality of the pasty-faced ones is getting quite tiresome.

Don't see it as a problem, it is a 'challenge'.
LOL, can't get much more racist than that.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Fucking snowflake.
This is the problem. If progressives want rules that protect people from gender stereotypes and racial discrimination, those rules apply to protect genders and races -- not just females and minorities. The snowflakes of all stripes will use the opportunities afforded them.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:28 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:Yeahbut nasty corporations are picking on conservative white males!!
The allegation is that one corporation are discriminating based on race and sex, in this case against white males. These issues are not about what corporations do in general, or an overall grievance from an entire race or sex by all corporations. Even if every instance of discrimination save one is against brown people and women, and one instance is against a white male, the law still allows recoursse for that invidious discrimination. The laws apply to indviduals.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

JimC wrote:Meritocracy is fine when there is a level playing field. However, people living in poverty, or people who are discriminated against for other reasons have larger hurdles to overcome than wealthier people with the same intrinsic abilities. Recognising this does not mean abandoning the concept of valuing intrinsic merit...
Well, playing fields are never level. Some people are physically stronger and some people have greater intelligence. Some kids have parents who read to them before bed every night. That doesn't mean meritocracy isn't fine.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Forty Two wrote:
JimC wrote:Meritocracy is fine when there is a level playing field. However, people living in poverty, or people who are discriminated against for other reasons have larger hurdles to overcome than wealthier people with the same intrinsic abilities. Recognising this does not mean abandoning the concept of valuing intrinsic merit...
Well, playing fields are never level. Some people are physically stronger and some people have greater intelligence. Some kids have parents who read to them before bed every night. That doesn't mean meritocracy isn't fine.
What this does not address is systemic bias against groups, which means that 2 people of equal intrinsic "merit" (however we might define that) will not have equal opportunities for education (initially) and jobs (eventually).
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!