Problematic Stuff

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Forty Two » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Young pErvin - Image
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:47 pm

-Sean Hayden last night

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 pm

I don't think you have to worry about that, son.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Those soy-boys not only don't want to be "manly," they want to force everyone else to think they are manly even when they are not "manly." Manly is a social construct, so it's arbitrary that manly means what we think it means. Being a great big pussy would be manly in a different culture.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:32 am

Sean Hayden wrote:Image
-Sean Hayden last night
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:41 am

I had to look up "soy boy". LOL. How did I miss that? It's perfect.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:31 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:Image
-Sean Hayden last night
:lol:
He reminds me of my cousin. --what, my genes is here same as yer's :biggrin:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 pm

"There won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime." Image

"Tonight thank god it's them, instead of you!" - Bob Geldoff, Band Aid, Do They Know It's Christmas? [in Ethiopia which has been mostly Christian for going on 1700 years, when Britain was a newly freed Roman province]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 am

Really? Sneering at a charity song which raised the profile of a humanitarian disaster most governments were ignoring? I guess we're supposed to infer that everyone who bought the single, attended the concerts, or donated money are idiots eh, because the lyrics are a bit crap? Tell us, which charity song has lyrics truly worthy of approbation?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 am

Band Aid is a tool of the cisnormative patriarchal colonial privileged white culture which has changed its cancerous oppression of black and brown bodies around the world from one of overt dominion and occupation to insinuating itself as the "great white hope" fulfilling the "white man's burden" of saving the "people of color" who are incapable of saving themselves.

And, you're not helping anyone with your anti-government stance. In civilized countries, we don't need private charities, because the government is what is entrusted to help the people. Private entities only act out of avarice, greed and naked self-interest, as is the way of the so-called free market. Next you'll be saying that freedom and private action can solve some of the world's problems. Go sell that to your aristocratic and petit bourgeois friends!

And, all the people who bought the single, attended the concerts or donated money are unwitting tools of the post-colonial anglo-saxon supremacist movement.

:-)

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 am

Brian Peacock wrote:Really? Sneering at a charity song which raised the profile of a humanitarian disaster most governments were ignoring? I guess we're supposed to infer that everyone who bought the single, attended the concerts, or donated money are idiots eh, because the lyrics are a bit crap? Tell us, which charity song has lyrics truly worthy of approbation?
Forty Two wrote:Band Aid is a tool of the cisnormative patriarchal colonial privileged white culture which has changed its cancerous oppression of black and brown bodies around the world from one of overt dominion and occupation to insinuating itself as the "great white hope" fulfilling the "white man's burden" of saving the "people of color" who are incapable of saving themselves.

And, you're not helping anyone with your anti-government stance. In civilized countries, we don't need private charities, because the government is what is entrusted to help the people. Private entities only act out of avarice, greed and naked self-interest, as is the way of the so-called free market. Next you'll be saying that freedom and private action can solve some of the world's problems. Go sell that to your aristocratic and petit bourgeois friends!

And, all the people who bought the single, attended the concerts or donated money are unwitting tools of the post-colonial anglo-saxon supremacist movement.

:roll:

One day, instead of this type of attempted humour, perhaps we might hear a reply which actually addresses the issues raised by a post. But I won't hold my breath...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 am

Forty Two wrote: Being a great big pussy would be manly in a different culture.
True.

In Africa this is the case.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:36 am

I read somewhere that, strictly speaking, a lion isn't a 'pussy'. :ask:
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:06 am

Alan B wrote:I read somewhere that, strictly speaking, a lion isn't a 'pussy'. :ask:
Probably written by some Pom, who had no idea of what they were talking about. :sulk:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm

JimC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Really? Sneering at a charity song which raised the profile of a humanitarian disaster most governments were ignoring? I guess we're supposed to infer that everyone who bought the single, attended the concerts, or donated money are idiots eh, because the lyrics are a bit crap? Tell us, which charity song has lyrics truly worthy of approbation?
Forty Two wrote:Band Aid is a tool of the cisnormative patriarchal colonial privileged white culture which has changed its cancerous oppression of black and brown bodies around the world from one of overt dominion and occupation to insinuating itself as the "great white hope" fulfilling the "white man's burden" of saving the "people of color" who are incapable of saving themselves.

:roll:

One day, instead of this type of attempted humour, perhaps we might hear a reply which actually addresses the issues raised by a post. But I won't hold my breath...
Alright, JimC, see if this helps. My post was a satirical rip on the Band Aid "Snow in Africa" song, where I did what certain ilk are wont to do - present classic and loved western media or cultural items as actually evil and "problematic" emblems of oppression. That's what's funny about it. It's easy with Band Aid's song, because when lyrics get that trite, it's fairly easy to Poe somebody. I mean, don't you find it even a little chuckle-worthy that one of the messages of the song is that we're to thank the all-powerful creator of the universe that other people are starving instead of you and me? That's not worth a bit of a piss take?

And what "point" was made that I need to address, JimC? That I shouldn't sneer and make politically incorrect jokes about Bob Geldoff Christmas in Africa songs? This is beyond the pale here at Ratz? I've found the topic that is over the line? Come on, JimC... do we really need to check around about other people's humor here and see if my little piss-take there was really, truly so beyond the pale that I now have to address some sort of serious point about it?

Oh, nos! Band Aid really had good intentions to help starving people in Africa! So, don't joke about how the writer of the song apparently didn't know that Ethiopia is a Christian country, so obviously they know it's Christmastime, and that thanking god someone else is suffering a calamity instead of oneself is a rather morally questionable thing to do. That's just too much. Certain things are too important and too good to be joked about. And Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas," well, that's one of them.

Now, let's also "seriously" address this charity, which was ostensibly to help alleviate the famine. The famine, of course, wasn't widely publicized as being man-made. The war in Ethiopia resulted in one side napalming rebel farms to purposefully starve them. So, what did the money for the CDs all the good people bought while getting stoned and drunk at Band Aid concerts pay for? You may like to know that it went to the Ethiopian government to buy weapons from the Russians to bomb the fuck out of the rebel forces and civilians. It helped the Mengistu regime go from barely holding on to power to having among the most well-equipped military forces on the African continent.

Bob Geldoff was never shy about his photo ops, though. He liked, if you remember, being seen with Mengistu, you know, the guy he was giving the massive donations to, who was also the guy who was burning farms and engaging in forced resettlement - relief agencies estimated over 100,000 deaths from forced resettlement marches. Geldoff was apparently warned about this Megistu fella by various experts and relief agencies (e.g. Doctors Without Borders, who warned him explicitly not to send the money until infrastructure was in place to get the money to those who needed it, and Geloff ignored them).

Live Aid made a bad situation worse, donated massive monies to a brutal, genocidal dictator who intentionally murdered hundreds of thousands of people and helped create a system that would further kill more people for years to come.

Is it o.k. to fuck with and take a piss take of their song, now, JimC?