Problematic Stuff

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Seabass » Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am

JimC wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:26 am
However, it is silly, and needs to be nipped in the bud by robust criticism, and I do think it (and other hyper PC stuff) seems to be more prevalent in some US university circles than most other places around the world...
Meh, it's nothing to worry about. College kids are always riled up about something. And if you think about it, they're almost always on the right side of history. Civil rights, Vietnam war, Iraq war, gay rights, etc. The small percentage of them that get hypersensitive aren't hurting anything. It's all the Trumpy fuckers that are the problem.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 am

:this:

The only people riled up about what college students are up to are old people who are panicking because the changing world is pushing them out of their comfort zone and they are fastly becoming irrelevant.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 10, 2018 10:09 am

rainbow wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 am
Animavore wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm
Cultural appropriation is only supposed to apply to colonialists taking something from a minority culture and using it in a mockery of its original form. Like using a symbol which may have a deep religious or spiritual meaning to a group because you think it's cool. Or when white folks did Minstral shows as a mockery of black people. Often this is coupled with the colonial power making money; therefore doing the minority group out of money (some argue it's like robbing intellectual property)

There are some people now who think that eating foods from other cultures equals appropriation. And not even just SJWs; there's now a situation where Alt Right types are encouraging people not to appropriate by eating food from other cultures. Not because they suddenly care about the feeling of other, disadvantaged groups, of course, but to help deprive non-whites of business. In other words the counter culture is trying to use the prevailing culture's bullshit against itself.
We in Africa don't give a toss about "cultural appropriation". It is a thing created by the privileged middle classes in the West.
Seriously we don't care if anyone else wishes to wear a loin cloth, live in a mud hut and eat roots.

:ddpan: Just don't eat our missionaries. :ddpan:
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 10, 2018 10:10 am

Animavore wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 am

The only people riled up about what college students are up to are old people who are panicking because the changing world is pushing them out of their comfort zone and they are fastly becoming irrelevant.
:this: and :this:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu May 10, 2018 10:31 am

Animavore wrote:

Although 42 exaggerates the impact of the ridiculous PC nonsense, the extreme parts of it are irrational, and worthy of being exposed for the crap that they are.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 am

JimC wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:31 am
Animavore wrote:

Although 42 exaggerates the impact of the ridiculous PC nonsense, the extreme parts of it are irrational, and worthy of being exposed for the crap that they are.
The problem with the likes of people like that are they use the extremes as examples of why the whole is wrong.

When it comes to actual damage being caused; it is the old who control the power right now and are fucking things up economically and ecologically and creating a situation where they are crippling the youth while simultaneously telling them they need to work harder, and work for free for experience.

Blaming the youth for anything in this day and age is beyond ridiculous.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu May 10, 2018 12:11 pm

And it's a particular group of 'the old' who are responsible, the greedy bastards who control the correspondingly greedy politicians with, er, 'lobbying expenses'.
Those politicians have no interest in changing the law to prevent this immoral 'free labour' market. As far as I'm concerned it is akin to slavery.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Real, genuine problematic stuff and not that fake problematic stuff that bugs gramps.

https://www.theroot.com/protect-and-ser ... 1825871459

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 10, 2018 8:56 pm

That is, indeed, ridiculous, and it is a direct outgrowth of the ridiculous left-wing progressive SJW identity politics.

Everyone starts to want to be in a protected group.

Some folks think it'll just be limited to the poor, downtrodden folks who have it so, so, sooooo bad.... that's what I've been on about. It wouldn't matter if it's just accommodating a small group of people who got the short end of the stick for too long. The problem is that it blossoms into a giant mass of absurdity, precisely as you have shown by the suggestion that police are a protected class and subject to hate crime legislation, which would spread into words against them being hate speech.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:56 pm
That is, indeed, ridiculous, and it is a direct outgrowth of the ridiculous left-wing progressive SJW identity politics.

Some folks think it'll just be limited to the poor, downtrodden folks who have it so, so, sooooo bad.... that's what I've been on about. It wouldn't matter if it's just accommodating a small group of people who got the short end of the stick for too long. The problem is that it blossoms into a giant mass of absurdity, precisely as you have shown by the suggestion that police are a protected class and subject to hate crime legislation, which would spread into words against them being hate speech.
You really are a thoughtless twit. You seem pathologically incapable of empathizing with anyone who isn't straight, white and male. What the fuck do you expect beleaguered minorities to do, just accept their lot in life as second class citizens? See, here's the thing: enslavement of black people was white identity politics. Segregation, also white identity politics. Denial of rights to gays and trannies is hetero identity politics. Making it hard to get an abortion is christian identity politics. Whipping up resentment and division over the imagined "War on Christmas" is Christian identity politics.

Minorities wouldn't have to engage in identity politics if majorities didn't do it first.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri May 11, 2018 1:43 am

Seabass, this post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 7#p1768327

contains a personal attack on a fellow member. Given a previous reminder, this is a final warning that a repetition will incur a suspension.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 am

Forty Two wrote:

So we can't make reasonable and defensible laws because someone might be inspired to make unreasonable and non-defensible laws? Sounds like most types of laws should be scrapped..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 11, 2018 2:01 am

Seabass wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 pm
Forty Two wrote:

You really are a thoughtless twit. You seem pathologically incapable of empathizing with anyone who isn't straight, white and male. What the fuck do you expect beleaguered minorities to do, just accept their lot in life as second class citizens? See, here's the thing: enslavement of black people was white identity politics. Segregation, also white identity politics. Denial of rights to gays and trannies is hetero identity politics. Making it hard to get an abortion is christian identity politics. Whipping up resentment and division over the imagined "War on Christmas" is Christian identity politics.

Minorities wouldn't have to engage in identity politics if majorities didn't do it first.
:clap:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri May 11, 2018 3:21 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 am
Sounds like most types of laws should be scrapped..
Hear, Hear!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri May 11, 2018 3:48 am

laklak wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:21 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 am
Sounds like most types of laws should be scrapped..
Hear, Hear!
The thought of living in a Mad Max-like post-apocalyptic wasteland does have a certain appeal... but only if I can be the guy with the flaming guitar...