Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am

Bragging again :biggrin:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 am

Yeah, sure... refer to Rum's dirty stories thread, it might concern you.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:29 pm

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:02 pm

who?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm

I like playing with my Luger... :shifty:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:23 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:04 am

With reference to the OP...

John Harris, on some problems with contemporary Progressivism in The Guardian today, opines that protestors holding up a placard with things like the single word ’PRICK' on it at the recent Trump demos plays into the hands of those whom they oppose and is like 'narcissistically shouting into the void'. Interesting read...
... For the political left, life in the age of fury inevitably throws up no end of tensions and contradictions. Even if their professed beliefs are comparatively benign, plenty of supposedly progressive elements are seemingly convinced that their struggle necessarily involves Twitter spats, pile-ons, and mass takedowns of that day’s chosen foe. As proved by the treatment of everyone from Hillary Clinton to such “Blairites” as Hodge, the harshest invective sometimes seems reserved for people who were once considered to be on the same side. The ageless dictum that progressives should “be the change you wish to see in the world” often seems to have died a death....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... _clipboard

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:08 am

I reckon it's probably as much a cathartic release as it is a protest when they do stuff like that. But they really should try and be a bit more creative than "prick". Like the one at London recently - Tangerine wankmaggot! :hehe:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:09 pm

What do they get out of it, anyway? Feeling of solidarity? Virtue signaling? They're not going to change anything, the Men (and Women) Behind The Curtain do not give a fuck what they think.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:05 pm

Protesting does work. Not always, and to varying degrees; but doing nothing is guaranteed not to work.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:05 am

Legalized murder. Not as problematic as irascible feminists, I know, but still somewhat problematic.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:58 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 pm
...while it is not justifiable to use violence against those who would do us harm it is justified when we are actually being harmed - when people are not just threatening but are actually engaged in violence against us.
Ethics schmethics. In the recent past we had a few dozen, maybe a couple of hundred pathetic men dressed up in white polo shirts and brandishing Tiki torches marching down some town's streets, shouting "Jews will not replace us". Hardly a threat, was it? But then, the Beer Hall Putsch was no more than a flash in the pan.
The Beer Hall Putsch was violent - guns were fired. It wasn't "singin' songs, and carryin' signs (or tiki torches) - mostly sayin' hoo-ray for our side." It was an attempted violent coup against the government. 1000 Nazis and some German soldiers marched against the police and the government and about 20 people died in the violence - mostly Nazis - and at least four police officers.

Hundreds of SA took up positions, and a machine gun was placed in the "beer hall." Per wikipedia - Hitler fired a shot into the ceiling and jumped on a chair yelling: "The national revolution has broken out! The hall is filled with six hundred men. Nobody is allowed to leave." He went on to state the Bavarian government was deposed and declared the formation of a new government with Ludendorff. They took several officials at gunpoint and demanded they support the putsch. Other collaborators were ordered to seize key buildings in the city. They took several members of the Bavarian government into custody. They took members of the Munich city council hostage. It took a police and military counterattack, and the arrest of collaborators, including Hitler, to stop the coup.

The key difference is that marching down the street and proclaiming one's stupid message is allowed - violent coups, taking city officials hostage, and engaging in gun battles with authorities is not allowed.

Hermit wrote:

What if the alt-right does successfully unite and actually gets organised while Trump continues to do a Hindenburg? Shall we wait until the 20th of July 1944, when the horse has truly bolted, a nation lies in ashes and fatal harm has come to 55 million individuals?
No.
Hermit wrote:
Hitler said he'll use the machinery of parliamentary democracy to destroy it, and that's what he did. Should we wait for a repeat of something like that before kicking the butts of those who work for a White [insert name of nation here]? Should we wait until the purveyors of the so called fake news, the so called Lügenpresse of yore have been neutralised? Is it good strategy to not violently resist the germ of the alt right and its enablers until the enemies of democracy beat us and are too powerful to be defeated? Are you going to keep your hands in your pocket because they have not broken baseball or cricket bats over our heads - yet? What exactly is this shit about I have no right to steal his hat and throw a drink in his face? Yes, our intuitions about what is right and wrong are, in themselves, an adequate justification to commit violence on racists. There is no equivalence between their right to racism and ours to racial equality, no matter how pure at heart the fascists feel about their opinions. Hitler certainly felt pure at heart. He was going to make Germany great again by getting rid of the double scourge of civilisation - communism and the Jews.
These questions you pose can just as easily and reasonably be applied against the far left. Should we wait until the purveyors of the so called fake news...have been neutralized? Is it a good strategy to not violently resist the germ of the far left and its enablers until the enemies of democracy beat us and are too powerful to be defeated? Many people loathe the far left's ideology too, and see it for its murderousness. Must "we" wait?

What exactly is this shit about I have no right to steal his Che Guevara hat and throw a drink in his face?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:48 pm

If one wants delve into the knotty issue of the use of violence for political ends then one only has to look at the women's suffrage movement in Britain. The movement had been gaining ground throughout the late 1800s, but to much resistance and with very little effect, and by 1910 the movement under the Pankhursts had steadily ramped up it's action from acts of civil disobedience, such as protesters chaining themselves to railings, disrupting traffic, and the novel protest of knocking policemen's hats off in order to have the opportunity to have their objection registered in official court records, to more extreme measures: cutting telegraph wires, fire-bombing postboxes, attacks on cultural artefacts such as paintings and sculptures; subsequently migrating to the destructions of property with arson attacks on tea rooms, theatres, sporting venues, and then planting bombs and incendiaries in banks, railway stations, and churches.

Attacks were not limited to property though. Winston Churchill was famously horsewhipped at Bristol railway station on his way to a speaking engagement, Cabinet ministers were attacked with catapults, one plucky protester leaped aboard the King's limo and tried to break the windows on a visit to Scotland, and plots were hatched to kidnap the Home Secretary. Martial arts classes were set up so that protesters could defend themselves against, as well as take the fight to, the police. Emmiline Pankhurst continued to urge the movement towards "deeds not words" until the outbreak of The Great War, and considered this more direct, confrontation approach to be a form of "moral violence". Was she right, and if so why/how?

Frank Zappa