Problematic Stuff

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by JimC » Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 pm

I just checked mine - it's in excellent condition! :{D
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:today was dien Pabyedy, is that not a problem?
Den Pobedy? Definitely a problem. For Hitler. For others it was the final solution to the NSDAP problem.
man, you should see the horrors going on in Krasnaya Ploshshd and thing some kind of intervention is necessary, they commit horrors in the name of victory
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:today was dien Pabyedy, is that not a problem?
Den Pobedy? Definitely a problem. For Hitler. For others it was the final solution to the NSDAP problem.
man, you should see the horrors going on in Krasnaya Ploshshd and thing some kind of intervention is necessary, they commit horrors in the name of victory
The usual parades with a lot of goosestepping soldiers, big tanks, truck mounted rockets, boring speeches and sozzled plebs?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 10, 2017 11:16 pm

People in a free society cherish their god-given right to goosestep while offering a stiff-armed salute. Just because some delicate snowflakes have a problem with it doesn't mean it's problematic in itself. After all, when you boil it down it's just a bit of a silly walk and some co-ordinated arm-waving. I really don't know why people get so het up about the whole thing.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 am

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Being a Trump voter is a choice. And a fucking bad one at that.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

pErvin wrote:Being a Trump voter is a choice. And a fucking bad one at that.
So if a person chooses to "identify" as gay, it would be fine then? Hummm...

Since when does refusing to serve people at a place of public accommodation become o.k. if it's because of something they "choose?" Religion is a choice, too, but it's illegal to discriminate against them in places of public accommodation.....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Citing white authors when presenting research papers is problematic, say feminists: https://heatst.com/culture-wars/feminis ... ht-racism/

Feminist geographers are urging their fellow scholars in academia to think twice before citing a research paper written by a white man, claiming it contributes to “white heteromasculinity”.

And, of course, whiteness, heterosexuality and masculinity are all things to which students ought not contribute. They're all bad things. Things that are good to contribute to are non-white colors, homosexuality and femininity. Feminist geographers are urging their fellow scholars in academia err on the side of citing research papers written by brown women, so that they contribute to "brown homofemininity." :tut:

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Reading heatst.com is problematic.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 pm

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... ode=cgpc20
Citation matters: mobilizing the politics of citation toward a practice of ‘conscientious engagement’
An increasing amount of scholarship in critical, feminist, and anti-racist geographies has recently focused self-reflexively on the topics of exclusion and discrimination within the discipline itself. In this article we contribute to this literature by considering citation as a problematic technology that contributes to the reproduction of the white heteromasculinity of geographical thought and scholarship, despite advances toward more inclusivity in the discipline in recent decades.
Feminist, anti-racist geographies?

The scholarship focuses "self-reflexively." I.e., the scholarship navel-gazes.

This article contributes by considering citation as problematic because it contributes to the "reproduction of the white heteromasculinity of geographical thought and scholarship. Geographical thought is apparently white, heterosexual and male.
Yet we also suggest, against citation counting and other related neoliberal technologies that imprecisely approximate measures of impact, influence, and academic excellence, citation thought conscientiously can also be a feminist and anti-racist technology of resistance that demonstrates engagement with those authors and voices we want to carry forward. We argue for a conscientious engagement with the politics of citation as a geographical practice that is mindful of how citational practices can be a tool for either the reification of, or resistance to, unethical hierarchies of knowledge production. We offer practical and conceptual reasons for carefully thinking through the role of citation as a performative embodiment of the reproduction of geographical thought.
:funny: :hilarious: :|~

This sounds like one of those Sokol Affair hoaxes.

But, nowadays, you don't even need to try to make it a hoax. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... cking.html

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

:funny:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Forty Two wrote:
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.