Why is there something, rather than nothing ?

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Re: Why is there something, rather than nothing ?

Post by DaveDodo007 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:10 am

Nothing is unstable unless Victor Stenger is lying to me.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:40 am

Here's one. If we take a defined space and empty it of everything, all matter, all particles and radiation etc, it still weighs something. Nothing equals something.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:13 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Here's one. If we take a defined space and empty it of everything, all matter, all particles and radiation etc, it still weighs something. Nothing equals something.
Maybe not. In the case you describe, there should only be "dark energy" left, which produces an effect opposite to gravity, meaning that it "weighs" less than something. Nothing is less than something...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:08 am

Brian Peacock wrote:Here's one. If we take a defined space and empty it of everything, all matter, all particles and radiation etc...
Let me stop you there. How the fuck do you do that? Short answer, you can't. There is no such space and, with our current skill set, there is not going to be one in the foreseeable future. Especially given that we currently don't actually know the complete set of "particles and radiation etc" that we would need to remove.

Which brings me to the second part of your statement
...it still weighs something.
How the fuck do you figure that? :dunno:

I await enlightenment with visible agogedness. :biggrin:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:30 am

It's a weird question, the something and nothing question.
The reason that it's so weird, is that like all imponderables that I can think of, it involves infinity.

"Something" is infinitely more than "nothing". And "Nothing" is an infinitely small quantity of "everything".

People say, if there is something, where did it come from? And of course, infinity jumps right in again.
Has there been something for an infinite time, or did it come from nothing, which is also infinite in it's nothingness.

When you talk about infinite time, that can only make sense, if "something" is infinitely old. Because, if there is "nothing", then time doesn't exist. Time is a property of "something". So saying "what happened before "something" existed is a nonsense.

I don't mean the Universe when I say "something". There obviously can be something in addition to what we think of as the Universe. Or could have been something, before the Universe "existed", or what we think of as existing.

But as soon as you get on to infinity, everything becomes impossible to comprehend.
Infinity might be easy to say, or write in maths, but other than that, it's a complete blank to us.
And it's perfectly possible that the human mind will never be able to understand it.
JimC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Here's one. If we take a defined space and empty it of everything, all matter, all particles and radiation etc, it still weighs something. Nothing equals something.
Maybe not. In the case you describe, there should only be "dark energy" left, which produces an effect opposite to gravity, meaning that it "weighs" less than something. Nothing is less than something...
I thought that Brian was referring to dark matter, which does weigh something, but is undetectable to us.
(so far).
Or have they found a bit? They're spending enough money trying.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Here's one. If we take a defined space and empty it of everything, all matter, all particles and radiation etc...
Let me stop you there. How the fuck do you do that? Short answer, you can't. There is no such space and, with our current skill set, there is not going to be one in the foreseeable future. Especially given that we currently don't actually know the complete set of "particles and radiation etc" that we would need to remove.

Take it up with Larry Klauss -- it's pretty much a verbatim quote. I presumed that the maths figured out ok but perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to take particle and quantum physicists too literally.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

Take it up with Larry Klauss -- it's pretty much a verbatim quote. I presumed that the maths figured out ok but perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to take particle and quantum physicists too literally.
Do you have a reference? I'd love to see which context you removed that from! :biggrin:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:26 pm

A Universe From Nothing, Chapter 4. Much Ado About Nothing, pg 58 :dunno:

-maybe somewhere else too, I haven't read it yet.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

Do you have a reference? I'd love to see which context you removed that from! :biggrin:
From a c.30 min interview on youtube for Canadian public TV about his book. Away from PC at the mo but iirc the interviewer is wearing beige.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Beige?

Well, really... :nono:
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:44 pm

A neutral color worn with the hope that one doesn't startle one's prey.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Is space-time separable from matter/energy? :ask:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Făkünamę wrote:Is space-time separable from matter/energy? :ask:
In some ways, that is the crux of the current dilemma in Physics. Einstein's General Relativity deals very well with space-time (except at a singularity), and quantum theory deals very effectively with matter/energy. However, the 2 theories do not play well together in situations where they intersect...
And my gin!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 pm

I haven't read anything that Krausse wrote, but I've seen him on various youtube vid debates.

I don't like the way he pushes this big bang from nothing concept. He seems to enjoy saying it, for the dramatic effect, rather than any new insight into what actually happened.
I suppose it adds to his popularity, to associate himself with mind-blowing concepts. But really, there's no real evidence for or against it. General relativity breaks down when you try to apply it to the first few squillianths of a second of the big bang. So it's anybody's guess what went on.
And he shouts out this "a whole universe from literally nothing" phrase, without any attempt to describe what he means by literally nothing.
And as I said before, "literally nothing" actually means "infinitely nothing", and infinity just gives you ludicrous answers.
And not only is "literally nothing" an infinite nothing, but the creation of a single electron would be an infinite increase of energy. Because anything coming from nothing is an infinite increase.

Krausse makes no mention of these problems, and sort of gives the impression that this is accepted physics, which I don't believe it is.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 pm

mistermack wrote:

...Because anything coming from nothing is an infinite increase....
True in % terms, not true in absolute terms.
And my gin!