Is the Universe a computer simulation?

devogue

Is the Universe a computer simulation?

Post by devogue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm

I would like a definitive answer to this, please.

:pop:

charlou
arseist

Re: Is the Universe a computer simulation?

Post by charlou » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:54 pm

No, dev, it is not.
no fences

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:57 pm

The universe is a simulation of itself.

GoogleBot

Post by GoogleBot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:59 pm

Yes, dev, it is.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:00 pm

'tis not.
no fences

GoogleBot

Post by GoogleBot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 pm

'tis.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:03 pm

:nono:
no fences

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Its doubtful. Bostrom talks about it with his hypothesis on simulated realities. His argument is that If a civilisation can simulate realities then it is entirely probable that ours is not the prime universe but a simulation. This has been somewhat extrapolated by idiots who looks as things like The Sims and WoW as evidence towards this. However they are not simulated realities, they are at best interactive audio/visual presentations.

As such we have no reason to ever think that just because our screens and processors can still develop that we can somehow simulate smell or taste. I heard there are some guys working on tactile holograms, so I wouldn't dismiss it outright, but until we have evidence that we can simulate even one rudimentary reality, we might as well dismiss it.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:35 pm

I'll get back to you on this shortly after the hashish arrives.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:43 pm

If it is, I've been stuck with the Microsoft version. :nono:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Audley Strange wrote:Its doubtful. Bostrom talks about it with his hypothesis on simulated realities. His argument is that If a civilisation can simulate realities then it is entirely probable that ours is not the prime universe but a simulation. This has been somewhat extrapolated by idiots who looks as things like The Sims and WoW as evidence towards this. However they are not simulated realities, they are at best interactive audio/visual presentations.

As such we have no reason to ever think that just because our screens and processors can still develop that we can somehow simulate smell or taste. I heard there are some guys working on tactile holograms, so I wouldn't dismiss it outright, but until we have evidence that we can simulate even one rudimentary reality, we might as well dismiss it.
A simulated taste, in a simulated universe, is not a sensation observed/experienced from outside the simulation. A Bostrom scenario is a super-SIMS where the sims interpret the SIM world in terms of tastes, objects, being able to see X but not Y, recognising an avatar as 'me', etc.

Simulated characters can certainly behave according to what they can 'see', or what objects they 'touch'.

It is an error to think of yourself, outside a simulation, looking at the simulation as a 'presentation'. You have to think about it on the inside of the simulation. The sim-ball falls due to sim-gravity untill it hits the sim-ground. These simulated objects have no access to the simulator or the 'real world' in which the simulator exists.

We should also consider that simulations within simulations tell us little about what is possible in the real of the top-level simulator. The Super-SIMS don't get to work out the limits of how our world works by making their own simulated world, although there are likely to be resemblances. If we are Super-SIMS we can't reach out to reality beyond the simulation unless the simulator provides the means to do so.

I don't think Bostrom's numbers game is too convincing, but I don't think we can entirely dismiss the notion based on what we have simulated to date.

If we are Super-SIMS does it matter? What difference would it make to your life if you believed you were a Super-SIMM?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 pm

There's a similar proposition I read about a while back - the Omega something or other which suggests that given the ever and exponential increase in computer power the universe will one day digitise itself and the Big Bang or something like it is actually the 'simulation' booting up.

Slightly more plausible than a God in my book. Slightly.

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:06 pm

The universe is not a simulation, it is all inside your head. :smoke:
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,