Yet more problematic stuff

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:20 pm

It's called free-market economics. It's supposed to be a good thing.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:20 pm
It's called free-market economics. It's supposed to be a good thing.
of course it is, I wouldn't try to stop them selling their bad food. I would, however, support an effort to 'sell' better foods. With that in mind, I might dress as a banana and hand out fresh fruit at our next local race.

Maybe dress as two bananas...
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:15 am

Cunt wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:33 pm
Joe wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm

I guess the number that I'd be interested in is what percentage of online users are affected here. 3,300 seems awfully small.
How much protection do you think is appropriate, to shield you from harmful ideas?

Also, who will be deciding which ideas you need to be protected from?

Or is this 'protection' something you are ok with only when it is 'protecting' someone else?
You just can't help yourself, focusing on me personally, can you?

That's because you can't argue with the numbers. 3000 out of 14,100,000 Twitter users in the UK is a really small amount for all the crying I see.

And, as the article Hermit linked to said, only "1,696 people were charged and 1,399 convicted."

I think Brian is right, Breitbart is pushing the OUTRAGE button to get clicks from cucks. I guess they have to make money some way. :bored:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:37 am

Joe wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:15 am
And, as the article Hermit linked to said, only "1,696 people were charged and 1,399 convicted."
More importantly is the slight of hand employed by the article in The Times as well as Breitbart. To repeat. They claim per Times headline is "Police arresting nine people a day in fight against web trolls". This is not what the data show. The data include all arrests made under the Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003. Telephones are part of the public electronic communications network. The published data make no distinction between the various electronic communications so used.

This means that even if we knew how many arrests led to successful prosecutions, we could not determine how many of them were arrested for harassing ex-partners, or breaking AVO conditions and how many ran foul of Section 127 via public statements on the internet. Your guess is as good as mine, but we can be certain that the number for the latter is way below nine per day.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:19 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:37 am
Joe wrote:
More importantly is the slight of hand employed by the article in The Times as well as Breitbart. To repeat. They claim per Times headline is "Police arresting nine people a day in fight against web trolls". This is not what the data show. The data include all arrests made under the Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003. Telephones are part of the public electronic communications network. The published data make no distinction between the various electronic communications so used.

This means that even if we knew how many arrests led to successful prosecutions, we could not determine how many of them were arrested for harassing ex-partners, or breaking AVO conditions and how many ran foul of Section 127 via public statements on the internet. Your guess is as good as mine, but we can be certain that the number for the latter is way below nine per day.
Agreed, but I feel my point is also important. The increase in arrests is a blip in a infinitesimal portion of the speech happening online in the UK. I believe it's important to keep our problems in perspective.

I guess I'm just used to Breitbart's dishonesty to the point I take it for granted. It's like with Trump. I don't get upset, or even pay attention to what he says or tweets. After over 10,000 documented lies, I just assume he's lying to begin with.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 am

Joe wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Joe wrote:

I guess the number that I'd be interested in is what percentage of online users are affected here. 3,300 seems awfully small.
How much protection do you think is appropriate, to shield you from harmful ideas?

Or is this 'protection' something you are ok with only when it is 'protecting' someone else?

That's because you can't argue with the numbers. 3000 out of 14,100,000 Twitter users in the UK is a really small amount for all the crying I see.

I think Brian is right, Breitbart is pushing the OUTRAGE button to get clicks from cucks. I guess they have to make money some way. :bored:
I noticed you avoided my question, with customary bravery.

Your courage is only surpassed by your thoughtfulness.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 am
Joe wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Joe wrote:

I noticed you avoided my question, with customary bravery.

:airwank:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Joe wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm
That's about the most sensible thing you have suggested yet, in the history of this forum.

You must have been learning to read recently. Congrats, Joe! Good job!
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:24 pm
Joe wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm
That's about the most sensible thing you have suggested yet, in the history of this forum.

You must have been learning to read recently. Congrats, Joe! Good job!
I'm glad I found something you can handle. Stop before you go blind.

:doglol:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:24 am

Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:19 pm
I have suspected you of being a professional politician.
Cunt wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:17 pm
Is this you being stupid? Or lying?
Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:01 pm
Objective reality must be uncomfortable for you though...
Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:41 pm
It is the amount of courage I expected you to have, around your 'ideas'.
Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:18 pm
Is it problematic that none of you have the courage to make jokes about sensitive subjects anymore?

Cunt wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:27 pm
You just can't help yourself, focusing on me personally.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:01 am

:tup:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 am

Hermit wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:24 am
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Is it problematic that none of you have the courage to make jokes about sensitive subjects anymore?

Cunt wrote:
You noticed that too! :tup:
Joe wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Joe wrote:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:53 am

:D "Clicks from cucks"
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:37 am

Joe wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 am
Hermit wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:24 am
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:
Cunt wrote:

Cunt wrote:
You noticed that too! :tup:
It's one irony, probably noticed by everyone who reads along, except for our member from Yellowknife himself. I only searched through the posts he made in the past four days. There are hundreds more examples among his 7300+ contributions. I'm using "contributions" in the loose sense here.

Another irony is the number of times he accuses us of reading only from sources that agree with our views while just about all his links point to the usual right wing sites, Breitbart, Crowder etc ad nauseam.

Not that there's anything wrong with getting personal or linking to sources the views of which you agree with, but objecting to others doing either while indulging in those habits oneself reeks of hypocrisy. Our member from Yellowknife draws my mind to the politicians and evangelists who condemn sexual promiscuity, homosexuality and the use of recreational drugs while praising the institution of marriage and the sanctity of foetal lives, then get caught having an affair and suggesting the mistress have an abortion, or getting caught having sex with a boyfriend and smoking some meth.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:24 am

Hermit wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:37 am
It's one irony, probably noticed by everyone who reads along, except for our member from Yellowknife himself. I only searched through the posts he made in the past four days. There are hundreds more examples among his 7300+ contributions. I'm using "contributions" in the loose sense here.

Another irony is the number of times he accuses us of reading only from sources that agree with our views while just about all his links point to the usual right wing sites, Breitbart, Crowder etc ad nauseam.

Not that there's anything wrong with getting personal or linking to sources the views of which you agree with, but objecting to others doing either while indulging in those habits oneself reeks of hypocrisy. Our member from Yellowknife draws my mind to the politicians and evangelists who condemn sexual promiscuity, homosexuality and the use of recreational drugs while praising the institution of marriage and the sanctity of foetal lives, then get caught having an affair and suggesting the mistress have an abortion, or getting caught having sex with a boyfriend and smoking some meth.
He doesn't seem very self aware. After a few months of seeing his "contributions," I quit taking him seriously.