Why does sexism persist in the video games industry?

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:17 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27824701

Is creating female video game characters too much work?

That might sound like a rhetorical question, but it was actually one of the main topics of discussion at this year's E3 conference - the video game industry's biggest event, which ended on Thursday.

The issue arose after James Therien, technical director at European gamemaker Ubisoft, told trade publication VideoGamer that the latest instalment of Ubisoft hit Assassin's Creed would not feature any playable female characters because it would have "doubled the work".

The reaction was swift - and negative - especially when a former Ubisoft developer questioned how much work would be involved.

"The message from the industry is that men come first," says Jayd Ait-Kaci, a gamer from Canada who started the hashtag #womenaretoohardtoanimate, which was picked up widely.

"#womenaretoohardtoanimate when you throw all your efforts into putting them in situations where their clothes are strategically ripped off" wrote @emilyrwanner.

But what left many scratching their heads was that Ubisoft had already included female assassins in earlier instalments, and that the firm has emphasized diversity, tapping actress and gamer Aisha Tyler as its host at E3.

So what's going on: is the video game industry progressing - or regressing - when it comes to female representation?

Damsels in distress
Of course, the issue of gender ratios in video games is not a new one - but it did seem to be on more observers' minds at E3 this year, with observers tweeting about a lack of female characters in Sony's presentation and videogame site Polygon publishing an article titled "There were more severed heads than women presenters at E3 2014".

Studies have consistently shown that at least since the 1990s, the percentage of female characters in video games has remained steady at around 15%.

"It's amazing how little has changed," says University of Pennsylvania professor, Yasmin Kafai, the co-editor of one of the seminal books on gender in videogames, Beyond Barbie and Mortal Kombat, published in 2008.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Why does sexism persist in the video games industry?

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Without reading the OP, let alone the article or anything on this topic, or knowing very much about this subject at all, I'd expect it's because males overwhelmingly make up the majority of gamers. And gamers are probably more likely to be detached from real life and real women, and hence think of women as fictional characters to begin with. That last idea may not be based on any evidence at all..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:23 pm

They say females make up half of the gamer demographic, but that doesn't mean much considering you can play Candy Crush and be considered a gamer. Now I used to be true gamer. NoTrueScotsman. I used to raid on World of Warcraft, spending like 40 hours a week killing Ragnaros and the like. I haven't gamed in a long time, though. Good riddance.
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Because if there were good looking female characters all the boyos would be wanking instead of playing.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Is creating female video game characters too much work?
Too many breaks as they go wank in the john after working on her. :smoke:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

VazScep

Post by VazScep » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:43 am

"Female bone structure is just different," says Joe Ubisoft. "Are there spiders in there? We just don't know."
— creeping horror (@redfivetwo)
:rofl:

I'd rather see the question asked "why does peurile derivative wank persist in the video games industry?", which I reckon covers all these games.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:29 am

The worst is this monstrosity from the upcoming Metal Gear Solid game.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
The game looks like it might be great, but fuck me I'm not playing a game with a character that looks like that in it. It's embarrasing. What age are the developers? Twelve?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

VazScep

Post by VazScep » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 am

Is that the game where the main character is called "Solid Snake"?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:40 am

Lulz!
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:11 am

Just watched a 25 minute gamplay demo of Metal Gear Solid V. Goddamit if that doesn't look like good, stealthing fun.

Moral dilemma.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:22 am

Well there's just shooting stuff, driving stuff and then there is angry birds. Sims was the only game that had some real life.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Babel

Post by Babel » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

As someone who used to play primarily RTS in the pentium II era, I couldn't care less what the main character looks like. Hell, it looked like pixelated brothers from the creature from Alien. Could be because I was playing starcraft at the time. :{D

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Animavore wrote:The worst is this monstrosity from the upcoming Metal Gear Solid game.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
The game looks like it might be great, but fuck me I'm not playing a game with a character that looks like that in it. It's embarrasing. What age are the developers? Twelve?
Would it be better if it was your avatar?

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:45 pm

The Sorceress from Dragon's Crown has an awesomeness which trancends her apparent sexist demeanour. :levi:

tuco

Post by tuco » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Because it persists in society and because it "works" or perhaps rather because its believed to work.

This is my standard entry on the issue:

Video: Sexism and sexuality in games
"Are we requiring the female protagonist to work harder and sell more in order to prove herself?" asks Dragon Age lead writer David Gaider, in this GDC 2013 video about sexism and sexuality in games, free courtesy of GDC Vault.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1945 ... _games.php

----
So what's going on: is the video game industry progressing - or regressing - when it comes to female representation?
Not sure here. I think it just reflects, more or less, what is going on in society so the question is broader.