Why does sexism persist in the video games industry?

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Why does sexism persist in the video games industry?

Post by laklak » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Who cares? Get a fucking life.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:01 pm

I just wish I could spend my life fucking...
As things stand, I have to get other interests
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak

Post by laklak » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:16 pm

That's why the female characters look like anime Lolitas, all those sweaty basement dwelling lads are looking for a fucking life. Mind you, it's a virtual fucking life, but at least you don't have to brush your teeth.

tuco

Post by tuco » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:18 pm

I would guess those involved in gaming care. As why is this of any interest, Mr Gaider, as developer, has some insight to it. If for anything, for business purpose. How do we design our game? Who is our target audience? How do they react to what we create? etc .. all this has, well not really "life" implications, but business implications at least.

btw "get life" is internet meme right? that would be interesting topic in itself, what it means "to get life". just to note the obvious, anyone posting here has life, that is unless there are bots posting here.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:19 pm

For some, their entire social life is this forum... :shifty:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

tuco

Post by tuco » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Creating Your Fantasy Self
An Analysis of Ethnicity in Character Creators in Computer Fantasy RolePlaying Games
- http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/di ... TEXT01.pdf

via

Options for Ethnicity in Character Creators, Part 1: Race in Games
- http://gamasutra.com/blogs/FridaSvensso ... _Games.php
An argument is that having a determined, for example, Black human race will help strengthen the presence of different ethnicities in the game world. A few of the interviewees were on the same track: “It will help to "normalize" various ethnicities instead of everyone choosing a "default" white human and then making "exotic" character variations.” But the majority of the people interviewed had a negative stance about having several human races, saying that it would be an easy way to implement racism and stereotyping, dismiss the need for characters of color in the game world, and for the player base to ignore the non-White playable characters. “The differences are too complicated and ultimately too marginal for it to represent any significant dynamics among different human races.” We agree that the danger of having several playable human races with different abilities specific to their race is indeed that it may subconsciously reinforces stereotypes and creates prejudice towards real-life ethnicities.
--

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:27 am

laklak wrote:That's why the female characters look like anime Lolitas, all those sweaty basement dwelling lads are looking for a fucking life. Mind you, it's a virtual fucking life, but at least you don't have to brush your teeth.
Oh come on, whilst that may represent a type of gamer it just doesn't hold up to reality in 2016. There are plenty of social, successful and interesting people that spend a decent amount of time gaming and care about the quality of their games and even the politics behind it. I am not one of these people, but I've been to enough of their parties :hehe:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

tuco

Post by tuco » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Too bad nobody picked up the glove on " to get life". That would be very interesting debate imo. Like for example, to get life means to invest in market and live on benefits from it. Market! that is supposed to be .. real lol

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Not sure I follow. "Get a life" has been part of popular vernacular for about 30 years, definitely before it had anything to do with online life. I think coined by valley girls to call someone boring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_life_(idiom)
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Assassin's Creed's player demographic is overwhelmingly male.

"Gaming" may be something enjoyed equally by men and women, but not all games are divided equally in terms of market.

Sexism remains in gaming for the same reason it remains in clothing and hairstyling. There is often a correlation between sex and a given market.

This is like complaining why Macy's doesn't sell cocktail dresses in the men's section.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

tuco

Post by tuco » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Not sure about valley girls, but that is indeed subject to debate/interpretation what it means .. today especially when used on the internet and especially with regards to video games.

---

edit: as for my remark about (stock) market .. how is that real? the profits, the values, it creates. One could be rich one day and broken second day. Where/what is the real value? Money makes money .. lol .. people make money, people create values, and some take in more than others. That's about it.
Last edited by tuco on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tuco

Post by tuco » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Forty Two wrote:Assassin's Creed's player demographic is overwhelmingly male.

"Gaming" may be something enjoyed equally by men and women, but not all games are divided equally in terms of market.

Sexism remains in gaming for the same reason it remains in clothing and hairstyling. There is often a correlation between sex and a given market.

This is like complaining why Macy's doesn't sell cocktail dresses in the men's section.
I agree that if market indicates that certain demographics is target group, it then make sense to accommodate such target group. Mr Gaider does recognize this notion. 30% of players of DA are women according to their data. At the same time, homosexuality and well sexuality (as well as sexism) is huge topic in society so its no surprise that it does reflect in virtual environment.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Why don't they write romance novels for men? Men are objectified on the covers.... what does this do to the way men are thought of and how they are valued in society in general? Remember, the more you think you're not affected by Romance Novels, the more likely it is that you are affected by them....

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Romance novels are tools of the patriarchy promoting submission of women to strong men. Don't be fooled.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

laklak

Post by laklak » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:37 pm

I wish they'd stop using my picture on their covers.