Dragon's Crown.

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Dragon's Crown.

Post by Animavore » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:54 am

Of all the games out this year I'm most stoked for this 2-D, side-scrolling beat-em-up. Think Golden Axe with a more involved combat system and skill trees.

:yayay:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Daedalus

Re: Dragon's Crown.

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Animavore wrote:Of all the games out this year I'm most stoked for this 2-D, side-scrolling beat-em-up. Think Golden Axe with a more involved combat system and skill trees.

Yeah, Vanillaware makes great games, and the art is pretty fun.
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." (David Hume)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
"Atque in perpetuum frater, ave atque vale." (Catullus)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?” (Bladerunner)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Animavore wrote:

Oh hell yes. :swoon:
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?” (Bladerunner)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Only problem is there's no European release. I'm going to have to buy it from PSN. I've created an American account and need to buy an American PSN Network Card. I heard these are good http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/so ... ork-cards/#

Or I can buy a hard disk from Amazon as the PS is region free but they charge a fortune for imports :nono:

Why must they make my life difficult? :sigh:

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Animavore wrote:Only problem is there's no European release. I'm going to have to buy it from PSN. I've created an American account and need to buy an American PSN Network Card. I heard these are good http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/so ... ork-cards/#

Or I can buy a hard disk from Amazon as the PS is region free but they charge a fortune for imports :nono:

Why must they make my life difficult? :sigh:
Hopefully the expansion of PSN with the PS4 and continuation of region-free will help you folks.

It could be worse though! You could be in Australia where you'd be charged more than double.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Dragon's Crown week continues at IGN.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Golden Axe!! I spent much of my allowance playing that game at the arcade at the local go-cart track when I was a kiddie.

I played it on Sega, but it just wasn't the same.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm

I have the arcade version of Golden Axe on the chipped Playstation we have. Complete with "Insert Coin" :yayay:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:35 am

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

Animavore wrote:European release confirmed http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/18/dragons ... s-america/

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15 am

I found its over-exaggerated art style alienating and gross in its depiction of women even as it shines in building a world of fantastic monsters and environments, and the forced grind through the same stages dulled my excitement. Dragon's Crown is a wild place to visit, but it doesn't quite hold up in the light of day.
http://www.polygon.com/game/dragon-s-crown/9102

:lol: This person marked the game down to 65% because she found it sexist. This is one of the best games I've played in a while. At least all the other reviewers have sense.

It's a pity I can't read Japanese. I don't know what's going on half the time. Not to worry, I'll be getting the English version when it's out next week.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Such greatness. I might even prefer this to The Last of Us. Each of the 6 characters is unique. The skill trees are deep and add lots of varity. The looting is fun. Some have said this is the Diablo 2 of sidd-scrolling beat 'em ups. Not sure about that having not played it.

PS3-ers should get.

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Animavore wrote:Such greatness. I might even prefer this to The Last of Us. Each of the 6 characters is unique. The skill trees are deep and add lots of varity. The looting is fun. Some have said this is the Diablo 2 of sidd-scrolling beat 'em ups. Not sure about that having not played it.

PS3-ers should get.
Indeed, this game is stupidly good. :yayay:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:24 pm

HOLY AWESOME MONTY PYTHON REFERENCE BATMAN!

:funny: