The Last of Us

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

The Last of Us

Post by tattuchu » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Zombie game from Naughty Dog.

Holy shit :shock:

http://thelastofus.com/
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Seabass » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Damn PS3 exclusives! :shakesfist:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Nice looking game but I'm guesing it's just another linear story. Also, I saw no mention of multiplayer?

I'll be waiting for DayZ to come out as a standalone multiplayer game. (It's currently in alpha form but still available as a mod for Arma 2. It will be available this year, hopefully.) The map is massive (around 225 square kilometres) and you can travel around it in vehicles that you have repaired (or stolen from other players :biggrin: ) like jeeps, cars, helicopters, boats, quads, bicycles, trucks and motorcycles.
There are over 300 different types of weapon in the game.
Players must also eat and drink to stay alive (there is talk of introducing cannibalism to the game as well as having faeces as a vector for infection - players can become infected and ill).

Check out some of the vids on YT to get a feel of what it's like.

I'll be looking for others to team up with to play this eventually, so if anyone here is interested.... :ask:

:zombie:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:26 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:Nice looking game but I'm guesing it's just another linear story. Also, I saw no mention of multiplayer?

I'll be waiting for DayZ to come out as a standalone multiplayer game. (It's currently in alpha form but still available as a mod for Arma 2. It will be available this year, hopefully.) The map is massive (around 225 square kilometres) and you can travel around it in vehicles that you have repaired (or stolen from other players :biggrin: ) like jeeps, cars, helicopters, boats, quads, bicycles, trucks and motorcycles.
There are over 300 different types of weapon in the game.
Players must also eat and drink to stay alive (there is talk of introducing cannibalism to the game as well as having faeces as a vector for infection - players can become infected and ill).

Check out some of the vids on YT to get a feel of what it's like.

I'll be looking for others to team up with to play this eventually, so if anyone here is interested.... :ask:

Shit! :shock:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks

Post by tattuchu » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 am

That's hardcore :shock:

But way to harsh my boner, Jack :evil:

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:37 am

JimC wrote:
Shit! :shock:
It's little short of epoch-marking as far as gaming is concerned, imo. A whole new multiplayer experience that sets a new standard which will be copied by others and hopefully improved upon in the future.
Bear in mind that this game is still technically in it's alpha stage and a lot of improvements and bug fixes will be in the retail version. Free patches and updates will become available in the fullness of time, too, and the servers will be more secure from hackers/scripters.
tattuchu wrote:That's hardcore :shock:

But way to harsh my boner, Jack :evil:
You wouldn't play it? A game where you can be as cruel or kind as you want (but not always without repercussions)?

I watched a video earlier made by some people who were kidnapping people (yes, that's possible), driving them to a 'camp' in a remote place on the map and making them fight to the death with hatchets. :tea:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:45 am

It was the faeces element that drew my comment. Not sure I want that amount of realism in a game... :?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:52 am

JimC wrote:It was the faeces element that drew my comment. Not sure I want that amount of realism in a game... :?
Well, it's actually more of a simulator than a game. And if you're going to eat and drink in it...

I saw on the Dayz forums that they are/were thinking about giving players the ability to throw it at others. :hehe:

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks

Post by tattuchu » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:25 am

No I'd definitely play it, Jack! It looks amazing. It's just I was all excited about my zombie game but your zombie game blows it out of the water :hehe:

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:19 am

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. :oops:

To be fair, I like the look of The Last of Us (at least from the vids I've watched)...the graphics look awesome. But without any co-op or multiplayer mode I can see the game getting old and formulaic pretty quickly.
I have to say that the platform puts me off the idea, too...I prefer the versatility PCs offer when it comes to gaming - customising controls and such. I've tried, but just can't get the hang of console controls. Most of the time I've played COD Nazi Zombies on my mate's Xbox I've spent shooting at the floor and head-butting walls. :hehe: