X box 360 - shopping advice

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
HomerJay

X box 360 - shopping advice

Post by HomerJay » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 am

what the fuck do I need for my kid

He wants Xbox 360 cos his friends have one and he wants to play Black Ops with them.

So:

Is a kinect a waste of time - he says he's not bothered.

Do I need a 4gb or 250gb version?

Do external disks work ok? I've read that they're locked down not to function with external drives - is this shit? What advantage is there to an external?

If I buy a Season Pack how long does it last?

Why is Xbox live so expensive?

Happy fucking christmas one and all.

Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

Re: X box 360 - shopping advice

Post by Twoflower » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:15 am

Send The Curious Squid a PM. He should either be able to give you some advice.
I'm wild just like a rock, a stone, a tree
And I'm free, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I flow, just like a brook, a stream, the rain
And I fly, just like a bird up in the sky
And I'll surely die, just like a flower plucked
And dragged away and thrown away
And then one day it turns to clay
It blows away, it finds a ray, it finds its way
And there it lays until the rain and sun
Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding
And it's beautiful, that's life

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 am

250gb version is nice if he wants to RGH it and install pirated games directly on the drive. External disks.. don't work afaik, but high capacity thumb drives do. You could use a 32gb usb thumbdrive for example. Xbox live is expensive because M$ are arseholes. I'd go with the 250gb version, he can install games to disk (though the optical disc still needs to be inserted to play them), which improves performance on the aging console by removing cache lag from the optical drive, and it will be worth more when he wants the new xbox next year. :teef:

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:36 am

If it's a new xbox (smaller black one with green light) it might be worth your while buying the 4gb one and buying a second hand xbox media hdd for it, i got one for £20. Don't get kinnect, it's a massive waste of money. The season pass for black ops is for the 4 dlc map packs and is valid for 1 year. If you go on ebay sometimes you can find year subscriptions to xbl for cheaper than the retail price.

Any other questions?

Sent from my Orange San Francisco using Tapatalk 2
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks. It's a bit complicated with all the bundles n stuff, i can get the 320gb disk cheap, so tempted by a 4gb with kinect just cos it's the cheapest way of getting everything.

Now it turns out he wants black ops hardened edition so I might not get a black ops bundle, just a 250 with shit games, no kinect and get the games separately (£169 in Game ATM).

Good tip about the Live stuff, I found it at tesco for £32 but £28 on ebay.