Steam? Steaming pile of shit more like!

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Steam? Steaming pile of shit more like!

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:12 pm

With apologies to non-PC game players.

Big new release (Black Ops?) means I can't actually start to play existing games that need Steam because 'the Steam servers are too busy to handle your request for Borderlands 2'.

What kind of crap system is that!?

I've tried five or six times this morning with no luck and so I have written a furious (and pointless) email to their support system.

Twats.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Re: Steam? Steaming pile of shit more like!

Post by rasetsu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm just sure there's a zen parable in the making here....

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:35 pm

I hate Steam. Any game that requires Steam, I pirate. If it requires Steam to play online and it's an online only game, I don't buy it or I pirate it and play on pirate servers. Fuck Steam. :sulk:

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I quite like steam. I've got a few issues with it, but generally the convenience of a library of games with a download manager and the regular cut-price deals make it as good an option for me as pirating would be. Occasionally it is pissing annoying - but I think only if you're expecting unlimited instant entertainment on demand with no errors - and the fact that our expectations can be that high says something rather good about the service in general - not to mention that if you're torrenting pirate copies, using another download service, or buying a disk (does anyone do that any more?) there can be equally problematic situations that will fuck up you plans.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:04 pm

I've never had a problem with a pirated game except from usenet where dicks post bad copies, infected copies, etc.. I bought all three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games from steam and only one worked, for some reason I was unable to determine. Steam tech support couldn't help me and I was refused a refund. So I've boycotted them since (I also pirated the two games that didn't work from Steam and they worked just fine.

Just my personal beef with them, I understand some people like it and that's cool.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:23 pm

I have it for Civ but I haven't played multiplayer yet. I was surprised to learn that steam is a requirement at install. It's been awhile since I played many PC games. It sounds like many of them use it. I generally play xbox, battlefield bad company being my game of choice atm.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:19 pm

I keep getting warnings from my antivirus software about steam games. I checked the steam support site and their recommendation is to turn off your antivirus. :banghead:
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Pappa wrote:I keep getting warnings from my antivirus software about steam games. I checked the steam support site and their recommendation is to turn off your antivirus. :banghead:
They might well right in this case, but it's also a standard response to any site connectivity issue.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Pappa wrote:I keep getting warnings from my antivirus software about steam games. I checked the steam support site and their recommendation is to turn off your antivirus. :banghead:
It is a good idea when you are gaming. Most AV programs are hogs. You just need to remember to turn it back on when you are done
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Drewish
I'm with stupid /\

Post by Drewish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 pm

ROMs and open source only for me. First Person Shooters are lame.
Nobody expects me...

SPMaximus

Post by SPMaximus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Steam isnt perfect, but i havent had any issues with it yet and saved hundreds of euros buying games during their awesome sales :tea:

Reeve

Post by Reeve » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 pm

On the other hand, Steam is much less wasteful (therefore better for the environment) than non-digital. It also saves me from walking to the shops and/or having the awkward moment of having to mumble something to the person that bring the game you ordered off Amazon etc.

Reeve

Post by Reeve » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 pm

rasetsu wrote:I'm just sure there's a zen parable in the making here....
I think you mean "Xen"

:yes:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:44 pm

True. I think CD/DVD sales from shops are pretty well dead - certainly for the PC they are. In the local Game Crysis 3 sells for 40 quid. It is 30 on Amazon.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Rum wrote:With apologies to non-PC game players.

Big new release (Black Ops?) means I can't actually start to play existing games that need Steam because 'the Steam servers are too busy to handle your request for Borderlands 2'.

What kind of crap system is that!?

I've tried five or six times this morning with no luck and so I have written a furious (and pointless) email to their support system.

Twats.
Uh, what? I'm playing offline (meaning against my computer) without problem... then again, I wondered why the thing asked me if I wanted to play offline rather than just launching.

Yes, I'd do very well without a system that demands I be connected to the net to play my games, ut some games are just too good to be boycotted just becaue of the steaming pile of shit.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping