The new Magic the Gathering 2013 just came out

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Tyrannical

The new Magic the Gathering 2013 just came out

Post by Tyrannical » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:43 pm

The new Magic the Gathering 2013 just came out.

~$10 available on multiple platforms, and looks to be quite a fun single player game.

It's one of those strategy games that even when you lose, you can be happy with a well played flawless game.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Ian
Mr Incredible

Re: The new Magic the Gathering 2013 just came out

Post by Ian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 pm

And you can take comfort that all your opponents are in the same boat as you, virginity-wise.

Drewish
I'm with stupid /\

Post by Drewish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Are you nerd bashing on Ratz? I assure you, you will be quite outnumbered here sir.
Nobody expects me...

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 pm

pah, $10 then another $500 on premium stuff if you want to be in any way competitive. I hate pay to win shit
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Azathoth wrote:pah, $10 then another $500 on premium stuff if you want to be in any way competitive. I hate pay to win shit
Aka, "marriage"? :ask:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Drewish wrote:Are you nerd bashing on Ratz? I assure you, you will be quite outnumbered here sir.
Nah. Heck, I used to be a D&D Dungeon Master. When I was 13. :ronja:

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:20 am

Azathoth wrote:pah, $10 then another $500 on premium stuff if you want to be in any way competitive. I hate pay to win shit
It's all pre-constructed decks with unlockable cards through playing, and it's primarily a single player game against computer opponents.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:22 am

Ian wrote:And you can take comfort that all your opponents are in the same boat as you, virginity-wise.

MrFungus420

Post by MrFungus420 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 am

Damn...so much for sleeping tonight...
P1: I am a nobody.
P2: Nobody is perfect.
C: Therefore, I am perfect

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Available on the ipad for $10 too I think.

Quite the fun game to play against the computer, I think even if you've never played the game before. The ten decks seem varied and fun to play so far, and you can unlock an additional 30 cards for each buy winning games.

All the games are with preconstructed decks. No deck editing except adding/removing cards using the up to thirty you unlock.
Three levels of difficulty, with in game tutor and hint / help system.
You can optionally pay a couple bucks extra to unlock all cards for a deck or make them shiny :{D
Multiplayer too with the preconstructed decks, but I haven't tried that yet.
Future DLC in the $2.50 - $5 range is a given.

A good time sink for the value. It takes 300 wins to unlock all the cards, but you should play each deck at least ten time to get the feel of it. And the unlockable cards are usually even more fun to play with.

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis
About me: absurdly creative twat

Post by dj357 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Personally I'm torn as to whether to recommend playing the physical game first or the digital version if you're a newcomer, though perhaps this 2013 version will lend itself better to newcomers as it seems to have addressed most of the nuances of the physical game. All in all I find Magic an awesome game either way as I love the skill/luck aspect and the fact that there's no one guaranteed kill everything everytime deck. I do prefer playing the physical game though because deck building is a lot of fun. :) Also, not a virgin in any way shape or form! :tut:
"what good is something if you can't have it until you die..." - Greg Graffin
"in meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!" - Till Lindemann
http://dj357.wordpress.com/ - my views on stuff
http://www.facebook.com/sinisterdivideband - my metal band

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:45 am

Free codes have been released that unlock one card for each of the ten decks.

These are the unlock instructions for the xbox version, but they work for all versions and were released by WOTC.
Unlock 10 bonus foil cards for each original deck

On the Player Status screen, click "Magic the Gathering Promo Unlocks". Then click on 'Enter Code' and punch in the codes listed below. Each code will unlock a bonus foil promo card for each original deck. These codes work on all systems.

Unlock free foil bonus promo card WMKFGC
Unlock free foil bonus promo card PCNKGR
Unlock free foil bonus promo card NCTFJN
Unlock free foil bonus promo card HTRNPW
Unlock free foil bonus promo card GDZDJC
Unlock free foil bonus promo card FXGJDW
Unlock free foil bonus promo card MWTMJP
Unlock free foil bonus promo card FNMDGP
Unlock free foil bonus promo card KWPMZW
Unlock free foil bonus promo card GPCRSX

cogwheel
About me: "Are you the first person ever to post their first ever post directly into NSFW?"

Post by cogwheel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
It's all pre-constructed decks with unlockable cards through playing, and it's primarily a single player game against computer opponents.
For anyone wondering there are actually two different Magic The Gathering video games put out by Wizards of the Coast:

Magic The Gathering: Online - which is an online recreation of the actual trading card game, complete with booster packs, trading, tournaments, etc.

Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers - which is a trimmed down simplified versions with pre-built decks, each having certain unlockables. It gives you the core gameplay experience without having to "invest" in tradable merchandise.