The sorry state of Gaming.

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Re: The sorry state of Gaming.

Post by The Curious Squid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:31 pm

I tried to read your OP but it was bullshit early on so I couldn't finish it.

None of what you've said is the fault of video games, there were arseholes before gaming and there will be arseholes if gaming goes away. As for the new swear words, I have literally NEVER come across any of them in a game. You hear immature kids saying it but that's because they're assholes, you see the same on Youtube or any other aspect of the internet just as XC has pointed out.

More to the point, you're doing the same crap that everyone who doesn't understand the state of the gaming industry does, over generalising. To say that all of gaming is hostile is like saying that all music is death metal or all movies are horrors. Like it or not games are art, just like the other major forms of media. Maybe you should try sampling other aspects of them instead of tarring the entire platform as degenerative.

I'm sick of hearing this bullshit, it was the same thing morons said about rock 'n' roll when it was first popular, then TV, now games. It's a new social influence and so people who don't understand it see it as a threat.

One thing to make your entire argument invalid:

It's really easy to pick on the new kid, I hope you feel all big for it ;)
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I just went back and read the end of your post,

If what people say to you is getting on your nerves, here's a simple solution. HIT "MUTE ALL STRANGERS" in the games options.

Alternatively, find a group of people more like yourself to game with,

www.oldnrubbish.co.uk and www.oldskoolgamer.com are both good examples of this (for me anyway)

With enough people you know playing a game, you don't even have to play with randoms. Unsurprisingly, it makes online gaming excellent.

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Too violence focussed. The most intelligent geeks on the planet satisfying the destructive urges of the dumbest grunts in the universe. Pretty absurd, sad and pathetic when seen objectively for what it is. :{D
Last edited by Atheist-Lite on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:49 pm

The Curious Squid wrote:I just went back and read the end of your post,

If what people say to you is getting on your nerves, here's a simple solution. HIT "MUTE ALL STRANGERS" in the games options.

http://www.oldnrubbish.co.uk and http://www.oldskoolgamer.com are both good examples of this (for me anyway)

With enough people you know playing a game, you don't even have to play with randoms. Unsurprisingly, it makes online gaming excellent.
:this:

I just give people a one strike rule. If they start acting like a dick they get blocked. The trollish arseholes are a very small minority. Griefers are more of a problem. You either need to make big friends or get better fast.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Mallardz
Definitely not Even Liam!

Post by Mallardz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:00 pm

I miss Space Invaders, Gauntlet and the early days of Playstation with such titles as wipeout! :cry:
Ratz it's more addictive than facebook and more fun than crack!

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard

Post by The Curious Squid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Mallardz wrote:I miss Space Invaders, Gauntlet and the early days of Playstation with such titles as wipeout! :cry:

Wipeout is on the PS3 and it is excellent, they brought out a 3D patch for it, my 3d tv has never been happier!

Mallardz

Post by Mallardz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:42 pm

The Curious Squid wrote:
Mallardz wrote:I miss Space Invaders, Gauntlet and the early days of Playstation with such titles as wipeout! :cry:
Wipeout is on the PS3 and it is excellent, they brought out a 3D patch for it, my 3d tv has never been happier!
I'd have to buy the game, a PS3, and a TV (3D or not).
Seems costly.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm

The Curious Squid wrote:I tried to read your OP but it was bullshit early on so I couldn't finish it.

None of what you've said is the fault of video games, there were arseholes before gaming and there will be arseholes if gaming goes away. As for the new swear words, I have literally NEVER come across any of them in a game. You hear immature kids saying it but that's because they're assholes, you see the same on Youtube or any other aspect of the internet just as XC has pointed out.

More to the point, you're doing the same crap that everyone who doesn't understand the state of the gaming industry does, over generalising. To say that all of gaming is hostile is like saying that all music is death metal or all movies are horrors. Like it or not games are art, just like the other major forms of media. Maybe you should try sampling other aspects of them instead of tarring the entire platform as degenerative.

I'm sick of hearing this bullshit, it was the same thing morons said about rock 'n' roll when it was first popular, then TV, now games. It's a new social influence and so people who don't understand it see it as a threat.

One thing to make your entire argument invalid:

It's really easy to pick on the new kid, I hope you feel all big for it ;)
Well I'm not picking on the new kid since gaming has been around since I was a kid and online gaming probably a couple of decades. If I may say so your reply seems more reactionary and "usual bullshit response" to complaints against media threats, but neither bears little relation to my complaint.

I am not complaining about the medium. I am complaining about a hostile culture within the medium which is pandered to by developers. I'm glad you've been immune to it, you're lucky, many people are not. However as the video I linked to showed, it is not just immature kids being assholes. As I pointed out, when the chairman of a 30,000 odd strong band of grievers drunkenly and publicly attempts to get people to harrass people to suicide (something I believe was a drunken error) you are not talking about some kids.

Neither flower, nor journey, nor any of the high concept games, which do show the best of the medium, are the norm. In fact such are so rare within the medium that there are only about half a dozen that everyone points to while ignoring the mountain of shit. To use your comparison, almost every other game is fucking death metal. Even at that, even with those high octane adrenaline releasing shooters this is was not a problem, this has become a problem throughout gaming. The RTS community used to be a very friendly and civil community, but many players I know are leaving it because even playing with friends but competing against other teams in competitive play they find that there has been a recent upsurge in assholes as you call them. I know that the racing game community is still regarded but I hear rumblings from that.

I'm a gamer, always have been, your implication that I don't understand a "new" medium or am being alarmist is false, I think perhaps based on an misunderstanding of my point. I am not criticising games, I'm criticising a culture that used to be friendly and inclusive until fairly recently and instead has become hostile, especially towards women and girls. If you don't have a problem with that or if you don't see it as a problem good for you, enjoy your gaming, it is after all not the biggest deal in the world. Not for you, not for me either, but have a look at this site.

http://fatuglyorslutty.com/

I suppose they're talking bullshit too?

If this is a new kid as you say, should we not at least attempt to nuture it and develop it rather than shrug and going back to playing solely with our friends. That's a step backwards to LAN play. If the majority are good people why should they be the ones restricting themselves because of a minority of assholes who everyone recognises are arseholes but no one does anything about? Why? because when anyone says anything a vocal minority claims they are over reacting or blaming a new medium. I'm not.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:49 pm

The Curious Squid wrote:I just went back and read the end of your post,

http://www.oldnrubbish.co.uk and http://www.oldskoolgamer.com are both good examples of this (for me anyway)

My online gaming mostly is excellent. I had a good squad of people I play with from all over the world, however I would not have met most of them if it wasn't for public games, since most of my RL friends are not big on gaming. This is kind of my point. We are being deprived of meeting and playing games with lots of fun people if we "mute" because of some cunts rather than find a way to deter them from acting like cunts.

Thanks for the links though.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 am

I just go to the playstatin forums and scout for people to play and clan up with. It's kind of like an interview process. I find out who are sound and who are arseholes before I even attempt to play with them. Then I usually set the settings to "squad chat" to block out all but those invited on to chat.
As it happens most people on forums are sound. I'm sure the hostile arseholes wouldn't have the literacy for a forum.

The power is in your hands to decide who you play with. I'm not sure what, if anything, the developers can do about it.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 am

I don't often play many online multiplayer games, and when I do I tend to pay more attention to the game rather than what anyone is saying on chat, so perhaps I've missed a lot of this. But I really don't think this is anything specific to games, or at all relevant to the game design. It's just a loud minority of arseholes that you see in any area of society. What should be done about it is a bit difficult. You get the same sort of problems that we do with how the forums are run. Do you make it like MindRomp where everyone can say anything (as it is now), like RatSkep with a lot of moderation, or try and find some happy medium. There is always going to be a trade off between freedom of expression and control of the community.

But there are a few things that developers (or more the publishers, as chat now is not so much game specific) can do to prevent harassment.

Here's what the Extra Credits guys have to say about it:

[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Mallardz

Post by Mallardz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:04 am

If you play a team game online. I've only played FPS I believe. You can easily build a team with friends or people you somewhat know, alike other Ratz. Since during play you only hear your own team it becomes quite enjoyable again.

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis
About me: absurdly creative twat

Post by dj357 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm

I think the Extra Credits video hit the nail pretty much on the head. I don't think you're correct in your assessment, Audley, that developers pander to this kind of behaviour and this sullying of the experience by trolls and jerks. For most developers controlling their online community and it's interactions are a large part of their job post-release of a game and most of the time it involves feedback from their users. Either that or the griefers are people who've adapted the functionality of the game to facilitate their trollish ways e.g. Griefers in Minecraft servers who will either indiscriminately destroy people's stuff or trap them with an indestructible barrier or people in games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 & 3 who will trap people in corners etc...
"what good is something if you can't have it until you die..." - Greg Graffin
"in meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!" - Till Lindemann
http://dj357.wordpress.com/ - my views on stuff
http://www.facebook.com/sinisterdivideband - my metal band

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Audley Strange wrote:
normal wrote:What's your point, Audley?
My point is that were approaching a time where everyone is a gamer. ...
No, we're not. I despise video games and will never play one. Pointless waste of time. I'm not alone.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm

amused wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:
normal wrote:What's your point, Audley?
My point is that were approaching a time where everyone is a gamer. ...
No, we're not. I despise video games and will never play one. Pointless waste of time. I'm not alone.
Really? What about games on your P.C. that are traditional games like scrabble or monopoly or solitaire, or are you just not into games or sports at all?