The sorry state of Gaming.

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Re: The sorry state of Gaming.

Post by amused » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Audley Strange wrote:
amused wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:
normal wrote:What's your point, Audley?
My point is that were approaching a time where everyone is a gamer. ...
No, we're not. I despise video games and will never play one. Pointless waste of time. I'm not alone.
Really? What about games on your P.C. that are traditional games like scrabble or monopoly or solitaire, or are you just not into games or sports at all?
Video games and sports aren't really connected, but American football on TV might as well be a video game. They could go all digital and a lot of the TV audience wouldn't care.

I skate and am about to add biking. I do poorly at racquetball and tennis, but I try. So I guess I'm more into actually doing an individual sport rather than watching team sports that are more about spectacle and selling beer.

I can't remember the last time I opened solitaire on my PC...

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis
About me: absurdly creative twat

Post by dj357 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:34 pm

amused wrote:No, we're not. I despise video games and will never play one. Pointless waste of time. I'm not alone.
Seriously...? Not a single redeeming quality...?
"what good is something if you can't have it until you die..." - Greg Graffin
"in meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!" - Till Lindemann
http://dj357.wordpress.com/ - my views on stuff
http://www.facebook.com/sinisterdivideband - my metal band

amused
amused

Post by amused » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:35 pm

dj357 wrote:
amused wrote:No, we're not. I despise video games and will never play one. Pointless waste of time. I'm not alone.
Seriously...? Not a single redeeming quality...?
Not for me. Sorry! :dunno:

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis

Post by dj357 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:41 pm

amused wrote:Not for me. Sorry! :dunno:
That's cool, they've been such an integral part of my life for such a long time I guess I forget it's not that way for everyone and some people are completely opposite in that regard.

cogwheel
About me: "Are you the first person ever to post their first ever post directly into NSFW?"

Post by cogwheel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 pm

amused wrote:Video games and sports aren't really connected
Granted they have significant distinctions that are enough to account for your personal preference, but on a fundamental abstract level they are very closely related.

All gaming and sport is simply testing your capabilities within a framework of rules. With skateboarding, for example, you're testing your skill at controlling your body and vicariously the skateboard. The framework of rules are physics and possibly other requirements (e.g. in competitive sport).

With a video game like super mario brothers, you are putting your hand-eye coordination skills to the test. The framework of rules is the program running in the Nintendo.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:49 pm

amused wrote:
I skate and am about to add biking. I do poorly at racquetball and tennis, but I try. So I guess I'm more into actually doing an individual sport rather than watching team sports that are more about spectacle and selling beer.

You're more the physically active type person then. That's cool. It is becoming much rarer though, especially with so many varied types of games now. I mean would you be appalled by the thought of having a excerise bike hooked up to a 50 inch plasma where your were actually exercising while competing against others across the globe in races? Could you see no benefit to that?
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis

Post by dj357 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Audley Strange wrote:You're more the physically active type person then. That's cool. It is becoming much rarer though, especially with so many varied types of games now. I mean would you be appalled by the thought of having a excerise bike hooked up to a 50 inch plasma where your were actually exercising while competing against others across the globe in races? Could you see no benefit to that?
sounds awesome to me! :)

amused
amused

Post by amused » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Audley Strange wrote:
amused wrote:

You're more the physically active type person then. That's cool. It is becoming much rarer though, especially with so many varied types of games now. I mean would you be appalled by the thought of having a excerise bike hooked up to a 50 inch plasma where your were actually exercising while competing against others across the globe in races? Could you see no benefit to that?
Maybe once, but then it gets repetitive. Plus, I'm trying to get all my possessions down to where they will all fit in a Toyota Yaris, so the 50" screen is a non-starter. ;)

I just realized that this thread is in the Video Gaming section, so I'll bow out as the misfit here. Not trying to start a fight, I just clicked on it because it was near the top of the active threads list, and Audley's posts are frequently interesting.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Just tape the screen to the windscreen and plug it into a psp and a care battery and play Gran Turismo while driving. I've thought of everything.

Join usssss....

joooooooiiinnnn us.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

cogwheel
About me: "Are you the first person ever to post their first ever post directly into NSFW?"

Post by cogwheel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 pm

amused wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:
amused wrote:

Maybe once, but then it gets repetitive. Plus, I'm trying to get all my possessions down to where they will all fit in a Toyota Yaris, so the 50" screen is a non-starter. ;)

I just realized that this thread is in the Video Gaming section, so I'll bow out as the misfit here. Not trying to start a fight, I just clicked on it because it was near the top of the active threads list, and Audley's posts are frequently interesting.
Yeah yeah, you just don't want to get sucked into the swirling vortex ;)

amused
amused

Post by amused » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 pm

:hehe:

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis

Post by dj357 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:50 am

cogwheel wrote:Yeah yeah, you just don't want to get sucked into the swirling vortex ;)
:this: