"I just don't get it."

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

"I just don't get it."

Post by Audley Strange » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:26 pm

A thread inspired by this...

http://www.edge-online.com/features/unt ... alf-life-2

In which Edge magazine decide to look at "classic" games and have a go at them.

Personally I think it's a good topic for a thread. What "Classic" or triple A epic extravaganza didn't do it for you, despite the ravings of the press and fans. What was wrong with it?

I'd have to go with Red Dead Redemption because I have never been so disappointed by a game, especially since the first third is so utterly excellent in both design and execution. I loved the small scale Marston, roughing up local hoods for poker money, or helping out on the farm. The mission with the cattle being loose in the thunderstorm was evocative in both how important such a trivial thing (in game terms) actually was while showing the scale of the game and how something as simple as weather makes an effective antagonist. I was hoping for much much more of that. A slow burn where Marston earns the respect of all his peers or becomes a pariah, dependent on the play style. A game with real characters. Still that was pretty much abandoned in favour of flower picking and degenerate mexican stereotypes, increasingly stupid missions until by the end I simply played it to finish it.

I never did. I've got a save on the last mission but I couldn't be arsed with it. It was buggy, clichéd and pissed on it's own bleak elegance. It could have been magical but ended up totally mundane fare.

(Bioshock anyone?)
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Re: "I just don't get it."

Post by tattuchu » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 am

Don't you dare say a bad word about Bioshock :cry: :cry: :cry:

Although I fucking hated Red Dead Redemption, and didn't even make it as far in as you before sending the game back to amazon for trade.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 am

I could say several about Bioshock, but I won't.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks

Post by tattuchu » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:29 am

Audley Strange wrote:I could say several about Bioshock, but I won't.
Naw, it's okay. No game is perfect. As much as I loved Shadow of the Colossus, for instance, I thought there was quite a lot of room for improvement. I'm going to bed now, but I'll elaborate tomorrow.
I actually wouldn't mind hearing your criticisms of Bioshock.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 am

Well since you asked nicely. Conceptually it's quite striking, but when it gets down to the actual gameplay aspect I think it suffers from a lack of imagination, gives its hand away far too early and ends up with a final boss fight which really cheapens the whole thing.

That's the short version.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks

Post by tattuchu » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 am

Audley Strange wrote:Well since you asked nicely. Conceptually it's quite striking, but when it gets down to the actual gameplay aspect I think it suffers from a lack of imagination, gives its hand away far too early and ends up with a final boss fight which really cheapens the whole thing.

That's the short version.
Yes, take away the admittedly gorgeous trappings and it's just yer standard shooter. It was inventive enough within that genre to leave me very satisfied. Still, I really wish game developers would break free of the current paradigm. Pretty much every single game you play is...enter area>encounter enemies>kill enemies>advance to next area>repeat a number of times>boss battle>go to next level. Rinse, repeat.
I'd really like to see something quite different.

Shadow of the Colossus was a masterpiece, a true work of art, just like its predecessor Ico. I couldn't help being somewhat disappointed, however. Besides killing the colossi and riding around on your horse, there was nothing to do, absolutely nothing. I could have done with some environmental challenges between battles, make it more difficult to reach each colossus. The possibilities are endless: climb a tree, climb a mountain, cross a raging river, sail or raft or paddle a boat or whatever around the ocean coast, just anything to make it more difficult or a challenge or a puzzle to get from point A to point B. You could encounter different animals and either be obstructed by their presence and have to fight them or find your way around them, or they might help you along. Say, hitching a ride on a bird to make it up an otherwise inaccessible area, or grab onto a dolphin to pull you along against a heavy river current. That sort of thing.
Also I would like to have able to interact more with the horse, since that was the only other character in the game. It was just you and your horse. But unlike Yorda in the previous game, I didn't find myself really forming a bond with the horse. It would have been nice if I had to look after her more, if she got tired or thirsty or hungry, and I had to attend to her needs. There were apples in the game, for instance. It would have been cool if you could feed Agro apples, hold the up to her mouth, and she'd take them from your hand, that sort of thing. I also had another idea that you could have Agro eat certain magic apples that had special properties. Like there were regular salamanders, and then special white-tailed salanders that improved your stamina in the game. So, same kinda thing. Say, golden apples were special and improved Agro's stamina. Or even more fun, add some extra steps. The magic apples gave her poop special properties. You'd have to come back to the same spot where she pooped later on, and then you'd find a special flower blossoming there from the, ah, fertilizer. And you could pick that special flower and it'd do something or other. Whatever. Just...something. Anything to make things more interesting.

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis
About me: absurdly creative twat

Post by dj357 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Absolutely LOVE Red Dead Redemption. To bits. Awesome game. And Undead Nightmare. Actually played that before the original game.
"what good is something if you can't have it until you die..." - Greg Graffin
"in meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!" - Till Lindemann
http://dj357.wordpress.com/ - my views on stuff
http://www.facebook.com/sinisterdivideband - my metal band

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Any FPS. Other than flashier graphics there has been zero innovation in the genre since doom and quake.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Badger3k
About me: Just talkin' claptrap. Lilith Rules!

Post by Badger3k » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:24 am

I loved Red Dead myself, agree with you on the ending of Bioshock, but for me it's the whole Call of Duty franchise. I liked the WW2 stuff. I liked the first Modern Warfare. Interesting story. MP was fun. Then I got into Battlefield 2 Bad Company. The destruction! Whee! Getting Modern Warfare 2 - yeach. Hated the story (never finished more than halfway), hated the blood splatter that meant as soon as I got hit I couldn't see anything and so I died, and MP got way out of hand with the super powers. Black Ops - story was stupid. MP was a bit better, but once I hit 50 (in a few days) I didn't see much point in continuing. Why give up everything I had earned, just to do it all over again? That's like making my first million, donating it to someone else, then starting out living out of a cardboard box. Never got MW3, not going to get Black Ops 2 - too arcadey. Not my cup of tea. I still prefer BF3, despite the problems we PS3 owners have with voice chat, which turned off a lot of my friends - that's how we normally met and played.

FFVII - I still prefer VIII. Cloud and Tifa...meh.

Resident Evil series - I tried 6. You mean I can't run and fire? I'm a highly trained officer, deadly, yet I can't even aim in the general direction of something while I run? What kind of handicap do I have? Not sure of the one to come out.

Dead Space 2. Liked it, although the first was more atmospheric. But the invulnerable creature at the end made me stop playing it. I have no ammo, so all I can do is run until it catches me, or I get cornered by the other necromorphs. Not cool.

Last, not a surprise really, Deus Ex. I loved the atmosphere, and the story, but the idiotic boss fights made me put it down. I am at the third I think. The first I finally beat it by injuring the guy, running to a corner, saving it, then starting from there when I died. Finally got him. I could try to reduce the difficulty, but I hate going that route.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:48 am

I loved Red Dead Redemption. I almost broke down and bought a console for that one. I think I'd rank it in my top five.

Definitely could have done without the flower picking...

Most disappointing? Gears of War. That fuckin' game has got to be the most overrated, over hyped video game ever created.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka