ITV Documentary can't tell a game from real life

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Matty
About me: hmmmmmm.

ITV Documentary can't tell a game from real life

Post by Matty » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:07 pm

So in a recent documentary about Ghaddafis support of the IRA, the programme makers used "secret IRA footage" of terrorists shooting down a chopper with Libyan supplied weaponry.
Except the secret video footage is actually a cut science from the ArmA 2 video game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikwK4O0 ... r_embedded[/youtube]
We’ve been in touch with Bohemia Interactive’s CEO, Marek Spanel. He tells us that Bohemia weren’t approached by ITV for permission to use the footage, and had no idea that Arma 2 was appearing in a war documentary on British TV. Understandably, they’re quite surprised. “We are going to try to get some explanation from ITV how this could have happenned,” says Spanel.

“Sometimes creativity and realism in our games lead into crazy results and this is one of such example. I just briefly watched the entire documentary and I still can not believe it as it is overall very serious and lenghtly feature,” he adds.

“We are surprised our games apparently may look real enough to some users already that they can not tell it is not real life footage.”

ITV confirms video games footage mistakenly used in documentary about Libya and the IRA - spokesman says "unfortunate result of human error"
So, retarded mistake that just cost some flunky researcher their job, or deliberate misleading of idiot ITV viewers?

Jason
Destroyer of words

Re: ITV Documentary can't tell a game from real life

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Arma 2 is pretty advanced for a war simulator. It uses an engine used by real military simulators around the world.

.. still a silly mistake to make. How did whoever procured the video fail to determine the source? :\

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Re: ITV Documentary can't tell a game from real life

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Would have been funnier if they'd used out-takes from Airwolf.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]