Ah nostalgia... old video games you loved.

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Ah nostalgia... old video games you loved.

Post by Pappa » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:12 am

In the early 80s I had a CBS Colecovision games console. They stopped making them after a short while but you could play Atari games on them with a cartridge adapter. One of the most addictive games I ever played on it was this thing called Pressure Cooker. I'm tempted to try to write a smartphone clone version of it one day. It was awesome.

:swoon:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Ah nostalgia... old video games you loved.

Post by Rum » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:43 am

I got much more of a thrill when the first games came out for the Spectrum, MSX and then the 16 bit computers. Perhaps it was the novelty, but I enjoyed them more I think than the modern day multi-million pound blockbusters.

Plus I dabbled at programming them too, to make games - even a bit of machine code for screen swapping and the like. I wouldn't know where to start these days.

One of my favourites: Ant Attack!

Mr P
FRA of Mystery
About me: International man of mystery and all-round good egg.

Post by Mr P » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:26 pm

This robbed me of many hours of my life:

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Ah, Ultima IV on my Apple IIC... :shiver:

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Rum » wrote:I got much more of a thrill when the first games came out for the Spectrum, MSX and then the 16 bit computers. Perhaps it was the novelty, but I enjoyed them more I think than the modern day multi-million pound blockbusters.

Plus I dabbled at programming them too, to make games - even a bit of machine code for screen swapping and the like. I wouldn't know where to start these days.

One of my favourites: Ant Attack!

That game was AMAZING!

Also...

"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:51 pm

You picked some of the best there!

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 pm

I still play them from time to time. I have couple of emulators 2 48k spectrums one 128k + plus loads of Roms tapes and a working tape recorder!!!

I'm seriously daft on gaming and am often disappointed these days that the game aspect of games these days seems almost secondary to the virtual worlds generated to play them in, leaving a disconnect between these elegantly crafted worlds and what you are meant to do in them.

Also I read recently that like the comic buying public the average gamer is 37 years of age. Knowing this and knowing they have the cash to spend and that most like games that are challenging, I really think a lot of Gaming Houses need to (ahem) raise their game.

This isn't so much a problem with online gaming since you are playing against each other usually at breakneck speed.

But for single player games something seems to be lacking. I know why, Risk=potential loss.

In the last month I've played Bulletstorm (which the score mechanic was a nice addition)
Assassin's Creed (Beautiful but tedious)
Dead Space 2. (Suffers from the same door block problem as Deus Ex)
Red Dead Redemption (which had a plot so dull it's the first Rockstar Game I've played that I've abandoned before completion)
Also Street Fighter IV (which is great)
and Beyond Good and Evil (which is astonishing)

Perhaps it's just the usual jaded feeling I get near the end of every console or computer cycle, but over the last 18 months mostly I've found most of the triple A games increasingly dull to play while being in awe at the design of the worlds they are often set in.

It may well be just nostalgia, but I do think there are too many games out there at the moment that are exactly the same except for the wallpaper.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Kr
About me: Man Fwuff!

Post by Kr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Earliest game I can remember playing was BurgerTime on my Commodore 64.

Great, now I'm hungry.

floppit
Forum Mebmer

Post by floppit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 pm

"Whatever it is, it spits and it goes 'WAAARGHHHHHHHH' - that's probably enough to suggest you shouldn't argue with it." Mousy.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Lords of Midnight on my old Speccy. Happy days
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:28 am

You can actually play LoM on your PC, someone adapted it... hold on...

http://www.icemark.com/downloads/index.html

Enjoy. See if you can get Morkin four feet before it tells you as usual "Morkin Was Slain by Wolves, Dragons, Air, etc"

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 am

Heh, have played that icemark conversion :)
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 am

Missile Command, Asteroids & Joust in the arcade, Elite on my old PC
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Matty
About me: hmmmmmm.

Post by Matty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:41 pm

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Before the Xbox 360 I've never owned a console. The first game I played on my Sharp Mz-800 was called Nakamoto, a platform game where you could also create your own levels. This was back in 1986.

I also made my own games for the MZ-800, my best one so far was "boksen", a boxing game with vector gfx. It was slow and not very accurate, but I was proud on how I managed to compose and squeeze "Eye of the Tiger" out of the 3 tone sound generator. :) I used this machine well into the first years of the 90's, until I got a Commodore PC20-III. There I played Prince of Persia on Hercules monochrome.

After a year of horror and pain, I saved up enough money and bought a new PC, a AMD 386DX40 with 387 Co-processor. There I played a lot of games on and was active in the Demo-scene. I had that computer for many years as it was top-of-the-line when I bought it, and was one of the first in the Netherlands to have a CD-Writer so I could save a lot of data away from my hard drive. I played 4D-Stunts by Broderbund, The incredible Machine (a Rube Goldberg puzzle game), Lemmings, all the Leisure Suit Larry games (up to 5), and many more awesome games.

Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you