Portal 2.

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Marky

Re: Portal 2.

Post by Marky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:26 pm

True. Have you found any of the secrets yet? There is an array of hidden easter eggs in the single player campaign that you have to look hard to find. The three hardest ones to locate are a hidden portrait of a character which plays a role in the upcoming HL2 Episode 3, a sunken research ship from the HL2 storyline, and one of the Rat Man's dens has a special hidden broadcast in it.

I'm not giving away too much there, since if you check your achievements list, you'll see there's an entry describing each, I have no further details on any of those, though, I've not found any myself and I haven't looked up any spoilers as to where to look either.

Aside from that, the only single player achievements I've not got yet are:

Overclocker for beating Chamber 10 in under 70 seconds (that'll just take practice)

Pit Boss - 'Show that pit who's boss' (No idea what that means or how to get it, this is bothering me most)

Schrodinger's Catch, for grabbing a box with blue gel on it before it hits the ground (I know where I can do it, but it might take a few tries)

Door Prize - 'Examine all the vitrified test chamber doors' (I've seen some of these, no idea where there are others, though)

Smash TV for breaking 11 monitors (I don't even know how to do that?)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 pm

To do Smash TV you've to break the monitors Wheatley appears on.
I got pit boss but don't know how. I found 2 or 3 Rattman dens.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Marky

Post by Marky » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:42 am

Animavore wrote:To do Smash TV you've to break the monitors Wheatley appears on.
I got pit boss but don't know how. I found 2 or 3 Rattman dens.
Ah, I've busted one of Wheatley's monitors, I didn't realise you could do it to all of them... I've seen a couple of the dens, too, there's one quite early on that has a song playing on a radio, Exile, don't know what the 'hidden signal' is, though.

My only thought on Pit Boss is that it might have something to do with the part immediately after the core transfer where you get beaten into a pit and fall along with the potato, but I've done that more than once and I don't think there's anything you can interact with on the way down, it's just a conversation and a lot of falling.

Preservation of Mass (smuggling an item through the broken emancipation grid) and Good Listener (for taking GLaDOS' advice and taking the last test instead of escaping with Wheatley) both get you a small amount of unique dialogue. Especially the latter.

I'm going to go back and have another rake around, see if I can find anything else...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 pm

I just completed all the SP trophies. Shrodingers Catch was easier than I thought. So, too, Overclocker. Found out what Pit Boss was. I looked it up and turns out I didn't have it after all.
Had to look up the last two for Smash TV, I would never have thought of them (hint:
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
you can use turrets
)

Only one Trophy involves a Rat Man room.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Marky

Post by Marky » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Animavore wrote:I just completed all the SP trophies. Shrodingers Catch was easier than I thought. So, too, Overclocker. Found out what Pit Boss was. I looked it up and turns out I didn't have it after all.
Had to look up the last two for Smash TV, I would never have thought of them (hint:
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
you can use turrets
)

Only one Trophy involves a Rat Man room.
That reminds me, there was a guy who made a speedrun of the first game in about 10 minutes. Right at the end before the boss battle, if you have a turret handy you can put in the corridor before GLaDOS and then make it fire at you through a portal and hit her behind you. As soon as she takes damage, all of her personality cores just drop off at once and then you can just pick them all up super quickly and put them in the incinerator.

He used a LOT of Out of Bound glitches, though.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Have you played the co-op yet, Marky?
I've a friend wants to play split screen co-op with me if you wanna go ahead. You're probably dying to play it?

Marky

Post by Marky » Mon May 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Animavore wrote:Have you played the co-op yet, Marky?
I've a friend wants to play split screen co-op with me if you wanna go ahead. You're probably dying to play it?
I've been waiting, yes. You've found someone offline to play with? That's fine :P I didn't realise you could play split-screen :? I'm sort of jealous that I can't play split-screen on Steam. It'd be more fun and interactive to sit down with someone and play. Enjoy it :biggrin:

I'll just play with Mousy instead :lol:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon May 02, 2011 1:52 pm

I was playing it last night. He never played Portal before so I was ordering him around for the first level :hehe:

He picked it up quickly, though. He's shit hot at games. The first level is easy peasy. It was only beginning to get tricky on the second when he decided he was tired and going to bed.
Probably play more tonight.

Rob
Carpe Diem
About me: Just a man in love with science and the pursuit of knowledge.

Post by Rob » Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 pm

I just bought a PS3. Should I get this on the PS3 or Xbox360 and why?
I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. [...] I don’t feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn’t frighten me. - Richard Feynman

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Get it on the PS3 because you get a free PC copy with it and you can connect to Steam and play cross platform with PC and Mac users.
'nuff said.

SPMaximus

Post by SPMaximus » Mon May 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Get it on the PC cause playing it on a console would be shit :tea:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon May 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Why?

Marky

Post by Marky » Wed May 04, 2011 4:30 pm

SPMaximus wrote:Get it on the PC cause playing it on a console would be shit :tea:
I'm an avid PC gamer and I feel there are many games which are improved with PC controls, but there are some that aren't. While Portal is an FPS engine at heart, and is therefore the sort of thing that I'd definitely prefer on a mouse and keyboard, the fact that it's a puzzle game without major time restraints means that it works just as well on a console controller.

After I'd completed the campaign on PC, while wandering around Newcastle, I happened upon a standing machine in Game with Portal 2 on it and found the controls easy to adapt to and the puzzles just as easy to solve. I spent about an hour there, playing up until the second light bridge puzzle.

I use a 360 for Windows controller for games that involve driving. Most games let you switch on the fly between controller and keyboard, so I find it easier to use both where appropriate, like in GTA IV and Just Cause 2.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 18, 2011 11:56 am

My friend never bothered playing again after the first time so still need a Portal partner. I only completed the first few chambers.
Tried to play randoms online but as I suspected I keep getting thrown in with people who have completed the game and have the whole map open and just want to mess about. that's no use to me.

Mr P
FRA of Mystery
About me: International man of mystery and all-round good egg.

Post by Mr P » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:00 pm

I've become slightly addicted to this game, parts of it had me tearing my hair out, others I just breezed through.

The only achievements I haven't got are:
Overclocker
Schrodinger's Catch
Smash TV
(plus all the co-op achievements)