Is Next Gen Gaming shit?

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Is Next Gen Gaming shit?

Post by Trolldor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Or am I just too old?
Seems to me that none of the next-gen games (bar Oblivion and Fallout 3) have held my attention for more than a couple of days (Well, usually less than a day's if we count play-time only).
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Is Next Gen Gaming shit?

Post by Animavore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:38 pm

Next what what?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Xbox 360, ps3 and Wii are "next generation consoles". Games released on these platforms, or for similar technology on PCs, are next generation games.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh. So it's not a genre. You just mean "are games nowadays shit"?

I get bored of them anyway. That's why I only rent.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:43 pm

There was an old game I played when I was about eight called Monster Mash, entertained me for months on end.
Nothing's been able to do the same these days. It's all 'reflective water' and 'achievements', not much substance.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Is this it?

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Not even close. It was an old platformer.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:53 pm

That's all I get when I Google :think:

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:54 pm

That's how old it is, can't even find it anywhere.

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 pm

born-again-atheist wrote:That's how old it is, can't even find it anywhere.
What platform?, I know a few good retro/emu sites.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:25 am

PC

pcCoder

Post by pcCoder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:16 am

There may be no paradise or anything after we puny humans expire, but it is the Truth that after the death of those games determined to be worthy, there is a paradise where they live again, even those that were abandoned in their previous life. I have done some research and learned that the Game Gods decided that a game called Monster Bash by Apogee Software, episodes 1 through 3, was worthy to live again in this paradise.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:04 am

born-again-atheist wrote:There was an old game I played when I was about eight called Monster Mash, entertained me for months on end.
Nothing's been able to do the same these days. It's all 'reflective water' and 'achievements', not much substance.
It's not the games, it's you. You are slowly maturing (like a good wine...), and the trivial pastimes of your youth are holding less and less appeal...

8-)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:50 am

pcCoder wrote:There may be no paradise or anything after we puny humans expire, but it is the Truth that after the death of those games determined to be worthy, there is a paradise where they live again, even those that were abandoned in their previous life. I have done some research and learned that the Game Gods decided that a game called Monster Bash by Apogee Software, episodes 1 through 3, was worthy to live again in this paradise.
...*tear*

Monster Bash, that's what it was...

Ah man, one of the greatest games ever.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 am

This one?