Screw you guys.

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
GeneticJen
Queen of the Drone Age
About me: Kylo Jen. Qui-Gon Jen. Old Jen Kenobi. Jen Erso.

Re: Screw you guys.

Post by GeneticJen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Have you got MW2?

Heard something pretty interesting. You probably already know that MW2 is now the best selling launch title across all forms of entertainment, selling more copies and making more money in it's first day than any other game, any book, any film etc. That's obviously impressive. But on the week Assassins Creed 2 came out, and a new Mario game, MW2 sales dropped by 86% compared to the week before. Even with that drop, MW2 is still the top-selling game. :shock:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:23 pm

I have MW2 on the Playstation.
I finally saw someone get a nuke last night. It wasn't as awesome as I had of hoped.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

GeneticJen
Queen of the Drone Age

Post by GeneticJen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Animavore wrote:I have MW2 on the Playstation.
I finally saw someone get a nuke last night. It wasn't as awesome as I had of hoped.
Nah, someone used one on my team this morning. I've actually not used it yet as my top kill streak in the new game has been 21 kills with no deaths. But you need 25 kills with no deaths to use the Nuke. I've got it unlocked, just need to survive a tiny bit longer. I prefer not having it selected anyway, it doesn't seem to be much fun. I call in a Harrier as my first Killstreak reward, then heavily armoured helicopter and then bomb the fuck out of everyone with the AC130.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:28 pm

What do you call your classes?
Mine are:

Wife Beater
Fag Enabler
Ton of Bricks
Pig Fucker
Father O'Riorden
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:28 pm

I once read a great story about a guy standing in line to turn in some papers. He had been in line for years, being relieved by family members when the need arose. He worked his way slowly up the line and when he got to the window the guy on the other side flipped through the stack of paper, then said, "Okay." The guy walked away and wandered back down the line. When he reached the end he literally didn't know what to do next. Another person walks up and says, "Are you in line?" He thinks for a moment, then says, "yes", and turns around to do it all again, for no good reason.

That, in a nut shell, is video gaming.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

GeneticJen
Queen of the Drone Age

Post by GeneticJen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:31 pm

I don't get it. What is the connection between interactive entertainment and waiting in a line and rejoining the line for no reason?

devogue

Post by devogue » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:I once read a great story about a guy standing in line to turn in some papers. He had been in line for years, being relieved by family members when the need arose. He worked his way slowly up the line and when he got to the window the guy on the other side flipped through the stack of paper, then said, "Okay." The guy walked away and wandered back down the line. When he reached the end he literally didn't know what to do next. Another person walks up and says, "Are you in line?" He thinks for a moment, then says, "yes", and turns around to do it all again, for no good reason.

Are you in line?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Decoupage wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:I once read a great story about a guy standing in line to turn in some papers. He had been in line for years, being relieved by family members when the need arose. He worked his way slowly up the line and when he got to the window the guy on the other side flipped through the stack of paper, then said, "Okay." The guy walked away and wandered back down the line. When he reached the end he literally didn't know what to do next. Another person walks up and says, "Are you in line?" He thinks for a moment, then says, "yes", and turns around to do it all again, for no good reason.

Are you in line?
Not anymore. I finished "Quake" and thought, "WTF, is that all there is?" And walked away from the line.

GeneticJen
Queen of the Drone Age

Post by GeneticJen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Animavore wrote:What do you call your classes?
Mine are:

Wife Beater
Fag Enabler
Ton of Bricks
Pig Fucker
Father O'Riorden
:lol:

Mine are boring.

Assault
Sneaky Bastard

GeneticJen
Queen of the Drone Age

Post by GeneticJen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Decoupage wrote:

Are you in line?
Not anymore. I finished "Quake" and thought, "WTF, is that all there is?" And walked away from the line.

Are you judging modern computer games after playing Quake?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Peter Harrison wrote:I don't get it. What is the connection between interactive entertainment and waiting in a line and rejoining the line for no reason?
I think he means its futile. Like Sisyphus's struggle.

GeneticJen
Queen of the Drone Age

Post by GeneticJen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Animavore wrote:
Peter Harrison wrote:I don't get it. What is the connection between interactive entertainment and waiting in a line and rejoining the line for no reason?
He could say the same about films and music too. Oh well, it's all subjective anyway.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Peter Harrison wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Decoupage wrote:

Are you in line?

Do "modern" computer games have a point?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Peter Harrison wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Decoupage wrote:

Are you in line?

Do "modern" computer games have a point?
Online gaming certainly does. Winning.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Animavore wrote:
The obsession with the ultimately pointless "goal", and the total lack of gain from that activity (I'll allow a bit of feel good).

Please note that I'm not saying you shouldn't play games, no harm in that. I just find the current fascination with them very odd. Does anyone here play Monopoly for 40 hours a week? There's not THAT much difference.