Buy twice or piracay - which is the real theft?

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Buy twice or piracay - which is the real theft?

Post by Trolldor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Ok, so I've got Dragon Age Origins for the X-box.
Well, my brother bought that.
I quite liked it and wanted to play it while I was in Wagga Wagga, so I downloaded it... and it got me thinking.
What I committed was piracy, even though I have a legitimate copy of the game.
I'm not selling or redistributing it to anyone else, so what exactly is illegal about it?
I'm wondering how they can justify saying I'd have to spend close to 100 dollars to play a game on my computer that's already been bought - $200 in total.

And the same goes for games that can't be bought in this country. How can they say it's piracy if there's no legal way to actually buy it? What if they've been discontinued?
And securom, used to make sure you have a legitimate copy, eats away at your PC and can break it or your games. Uninstalling it also makes some of your games collapse in on themselves as well meaning the only way you can play is to either download the game completely or find a crack (replaceable executable that removes cd/dvd-reliance), which some companies (COUGH EA) have actually tried to counter unsuccessfully. The best fixes for games actually come from modders, or people who crack games, and not from the companies themselves, fixes not just for the downloaded versions but the legitimate versions as well.
And they limit the amount of times you can install a game to three times, usually. Which means if you uninstall it in order to fix a problem and then reinstall it you've lost 2 already. And say that problem persists then that's three. And say none of that fixes the problem, well then you can't play the game anymore unless you go through the arduous process of re-authenticating it, which can cause even more problems because again it relies on this SecuROM bullshit.

In short: Fuck you companies. I'm downloading shit illegally because it'll actually work and you don't get to install your malware shit on my computer. Cunts.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Buy twice or piracay - which is the real theft?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:32 pm

The EULA probably says you can use the software on one (1) computer or device.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:36 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:The EULA probably says you can use the software on one (1) computer or device.
So long as you've bought the game for that one device. I'm not buying the same game twice just so I can play it somewhere else.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 pm

born-again-atheist wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:The EULA probably says you can use the software on one (1) computer or device.
So long as you've bought the game for that one device. I'm not buying the same game twice just so I can play it somewhere else.
Semantics. :nono:

Anyway, they might not like it, but they fully expect it.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:

EA doesn't like it, expects it, and does everything they can to Siphon money directly from your bank account and loads a whole bunch of shit on to your computer if you do buy a legitimate copy and makes it necessary to have an active internet connection to use anything, and now a lot of other companies are doing the same thing.
Games cost too much and are more likely to work if you download them illegally because they remove all the protection from them.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:

EA doesn't like it, expects it, and does everything they can to Siphon money directly from your bank account and loads a whole bunch of shit on to your computer if you do buy a legitimate copy and makes it necessary to have an active internet connection to use anything, and now a lot of other companies are doing the same thing.
Games cost too much and are more likely to work if you download them illegally because they remove all the protection from them.
Same with everything else you buy. If you do "Standard Installation (Recommended)" you get programs that will hijack something you have set to a workable level and you'll have to track it down and kill it before you can continue what you were doing. NEVER use "Standard Installation".

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Custom installation provides nothing but the ability to change directory these days. That's it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:54 pm

born-again-atheist wrote:Custom installation provides nothing but the ability to change directory these days. That's it.
Not with the software I get. You can choose which programs will be installed, if the company is merciful.