Atheism and you fuckers have spoilt it all.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Atheism and you fuckers have spoilt it all.

Post by Rum » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:19 pm

I just realised something.

I went to art college and I’m handy with a pencil and all that. I grew up ‘arty’. Sought some sort of spiritual path for quite a while and ultimately became a committed atheist (well convinced is a better word) about 15 years ago after a long period of sitting on the fence.

Without realising it, my ‘arty’ side has gradually subsided in the intervening years. I have become more rational, required evidence to draw conclusions and have developed a very sensitive bullshit radar. And gradually I have realised that all the academic stuff around my original ‘life subject’ - art is mostly utter bilge.

Still, I plod on. And then tonight on BBC2 there’s a documtary narrated by Anthony Gormley (the creator of Angel of the North- which incidentally I love despite this rant) about the origins of art.great I thought - right up my street.

So he starts with cave paintings and scrapings and within seconds is taking about the ‘energy’ coming off the walls. And I just want him to fuck off. Twat.

All your fault Ratz bastards!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Re: Atheism and you fuckers have spoilt it all.

Post by Jason » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I haven't seen it, but when I encounter such things I put it down to the person's way of describing their subjective feeling when viewing the art piece. If someone says something has 'energy' coming off it, I just assume they mean it moves them.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Jason wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm
I haven't seen it, but when I encounter such things I put it down to the person's way of describing their subjective feeling when viewing the art piece. If someone says something has 'energy' coming off it, I just assume they mean it moves them.
Maybe but it’s very woolly thinking. I’m persevering with it and he has interpreted two sets of cave images with absolutely no evidence. One set affirms life apparently and the other shows humans as predators (he says), just like ( he says) Picasso was a predator (which he was but that’s beside the point).

Art I suppose, encourages and indulges flights if fancy and that is ok I guess. When you start to build pseudo anthropological hypotheses onthose flights of fancy, as perhaps I would have once..well.

...now it’s all about mortality (apparently)..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Kenneth Clark's views on art are much, much more grotesque. I commented on his interpretation, as presented in the loathsome series titled Civilisation here, here and here.

Still, all is not lost. The best antidote to Gormley's and Clark's rubbish is John Berger's Ways of Seeing. He looks at art without resorting to bullshit. All four episodes are available in full on Youtube. Unfortunately, you can't disable the subtitles and the resolution is only 480p, but the series is worth revisiting just the same.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Cheers Hermit. I think I’ve seen Ways of Seeing, but I’ll check it out.

He’s in Oz now as it happens. Apparently the images there from 40k plus years ago and onward celebrate the vitality of being human. Oh and life affirming.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 am

Whenever I hear the word "art" i reach for my Johnson.

"Art" movies, you know.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:28 am

Hitchins said that he was unable to fiction, and unable to 'music'. He liked and appreciated both, but couldn't 'make' that way.

He talked about the best fiction writers he knew being largely musically 'able'.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:46 am

Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:28 am
Hitchins said that he was unable to fiction, and unable to 'music'. He liked and appreciated both, but couldn't 'make' that way.

He talked about the best fiction writers he knew being largely musically 'able'.
Are you a chatbot? 0_o

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:02 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm
Kenneth Clark's views on art are much, much more grotesque. I commented on his interpretation, as presented in the loathsome series titled Civilisation here, here and here.

Still, all is not lost. The best antidote to Gormley's and Clark's rubbish is John Berger's Ways of Seeing. He looks at art without resorting to bullshit. All four episodes are available in full on Youtube. Unfortunately, you can't disable the subtitles and the resolution is only 480p, but the series is worth revisiting just the same.
Hermit, did you ever watch Robert Hughes' "The Shock of the New"?

When I watched it many, many years ago, I thought it was brilliant. Perhaps it hasn't dated well...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:40 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:02 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Hermit, did you ever watch Robert Hughes' "The Shock of the New"?

When I watched it many, many years ago, I thought it was brilliant. Perhaps it hasn't dated well...
No, I have not, but since you mentioned it I checked Youtube, and it turns out that someone has uploaded the entire series to it, albeit at a regrettably low 360p. I'll have a look.

Youtube is increasingly becoming a veritable treasure trove of documentaries. :cheer:

Edit: Judging by the first 20 minutes of the first episode, it looks like another eight hours of my busy, busy, short life are booked.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:02 am

:tup:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:18 am

Thanks for the headsup. I meant to catch up with it after reading The Fatal Shore all those years ago, but then got busy with other things.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:53 am

I've always hated twattish art speak long before I was an atheist. And I've studied art and am a dab hand myself. I agree with Gandhi that if someone has to explain art to you it's not worth the bollocks. His exact words.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 am

Yeah, I can't stand art speak. These people..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:10 am

if this text weren't here, I could call this piece 'Blue Monochrome'.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.