Reading Nietzsche

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Reading Nietzsche

Post by Lozzer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:55 pm

I own both The Antrichrist and Beyond good and evil, but I just can't read them. Whether its the old prose or because he has such a broad and sophisticated vocabulary I don't know. I've had allot of trouble in grasping anything in them. How do I learn to read it?
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Reading Nietzsche

Post by Rum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm

I wouldn't bother Loz. I read both in my 20s and they are the ramblings of a syphilitic crazy person.

Actually they are a bit more than that, but he was right up his own arse. As if all he went on about actually matters.

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Rumertron wrote:I wouldn't bother Loz. I read both in my 20s and they are the ramblings of a syphilitic crazy person.

Actually they are a bit more than that, but he was right up his own arse. As if all he went on about actually matters.

Yeah but I want a challenge and the posterity.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Lozzer wrote:
Rumertron wrote:I wouldn't bother Loz. I read both in my 20s and they are the ramblings of a syphilitic crazy person.

Yeah but I want a challenge and the posterity.
I think his stuff is grandiose and overblown. But what he did see was that human beings were liberated when they dropped god as a notion. He does of course go on to talk about the 'superman' and all that crap. Hitler was inspired by his thinking of course - though Nietzsche wasn't exactly a proto Nazi to my way of thinking.

The grandiose ego focused attitude and the outdated language were the hard parts for me. Mind you you may have a newer translation.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:41 pm

I agree with Rum. Get a book of Nietzschen aphorisms - they were the good bits in any case. Reading his books is like groping through a manure heap for dropped pearls.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 am

I thought Beyond Good and Evil was a great book. It's been 10 years since I read it, but I remember thinking it had a lot of merit.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Feck

Post by Feck » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:37 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:I agree with Rum. Get a book of Nietzschen aphorisms - they were the good bits in any case. Reading his books is like groping through a manure heap for dropped pearls.
+1
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

SevenOfNine
About me: RDF refugee :-(

Post by SevenOfNine » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:00 am

Nietzsche had some brilliant insights, but like most philosophers he just goes on and on and on until one suspects he is spanking the pony, or flogging a dead horse. :hehe:
Beliefs Are Irrational, we will assimilate you :=)
Logical Fallacies http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
AGNOTOLOGY: "The study of deliberately created ignorance-such as the falsehoods about evolution that are created by creationists".

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 am

:o Such insubordination.

Nietzsche is the best philosopher ever. He's the only one I ever read who I agree (almost) fully with. The fact that he's egotistical and grandiose is what makes him such a pleasure to read. He's like the gansta rapper of philosophy issuing the smackdown on other philosophers. He can say in one line what others spend a chapter on.
Look at Being and Nothingness by Sartre or Critique of Pure Reason by Kant, hundreds of pages of waffle in what basically could be written in a book 1 third of the size. In fact, I'd recommend skipping both of those books and reading a book about the book instead.
Another thing I liked about Nietzsche was his zero tolerance towards religion and superstition. His contempt of people who search for 'other worlds' instead of living in this one. His pure rubbishing of the ideas. Not many people back then would've done that. Reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra changed my life in this regard. I have never read a book before or since that changed my life in the short amount of time it took to read it (a few hours). I was a Buddhist at the time and also had a messed up life. I truely believed I had been born into this life as a runt of the litter, always pushed around and never achieving anything because of something I did in a previous life and that through baring with it and being good I would come back into the next life as someone special. In other words I was seeking a life beyond myself in order to compensate for my impotence in this one. Nietzsche destroyed that. I ditched Buddhism like a smoking gun after a crime and in a very short space of time dropped any other fantasies that may have been kicking around my head (more woo than white doves, ballistic shoot outs and face offs).
Nietzsche is a powerful writer and the personal trainer of philosophy with the serious motivation.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Shaker
About me: I came on Eileen.

Post by Shaker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

Nietzsche is the best philosopher ever. He's the only one I ever read who I agree (almost) fully with. The fact that he's egotistical and grandiose is what makes him such a pleasure to read. He's like the gansta rapper of philosophy issuing the smackdown on other philosophers. He can say in one line what others spend a chapter on.
^ This :tup:
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Post by Existentialist1844 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:52 pm

Animavore wrote::o Such insubordination.

Look at Being and Nothingness by Sartre or Critique of Pure Reason by Kant, hundreds of pages of waffle in what basically could be written in a book 1 third of the size. In fact, I'd recommend skipping both of those books and reading a book about the book instead.
Another thing I liked about Nietzsche was his zero tolerance towards religion and superstition. His contempt of people who search for 'other worlds' instead of living in this one. His pure rubbishing of the ideas. Not many people back then would've done that. Reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra changed my life in this regard. I have never read a book before or since that changed my life in the short amount of time it took to read it (a few hours). I was a Buddhist at the time and also had a messed up life. I truely believed I had been born into this life as a runt of the litter, always pushed around and never achieving anything because of something I did in a previous life and that through baring with it and being good I would come back into the next life as someone special. In other words I was seeking a life beyond myself in order to compensate for my impotence in this one. Nietzsche destroyed that. I ditched Buddhism like a smoking gun after a crime and in a very short space of time dropped any other fantasies that may have been kicking around my head (more woo than white doves, ballistic shoot outs and face offs).
Nietzsche is a powerful writer and the personal trainer of philosophy with the serious motivation.
+1
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:29 pm

:coffee:

Really? Nietzsche?

I mean, he's okay, but my four year old cousin is better.
"It's not going to work because it's a stupid idea."
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."