anna09
Book Nerd

What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by anna09 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Continued from here: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=107

I just started this. . .

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Just started Blind Descent by James Tabor, about the quest to find the worlds deepest cave. The writing is a bit corny but the characters are fascinating.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:Just started Blind Descent by James Tabor, about the quest to find the worlds deepest cave. The writing is a bit corny but the characters are fascinating.
I thought they found the worlds deepest cave?

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:Just started Blind Descent by James Tabor, about the quest to find the worlds deepest cave. The writing is a bit corny but the characters are fascinating.

Should I know who the young lady is?

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:

Should I know who the young lady is?
Lindsey Lohan? Guess the joke fell flat....oh well... :sadcheer:

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Dear boy, I commend your effort!

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:Dear boy, I commend your effort!
Wait! Don't say it! I know, I know....our 'merkin celebrity train wrecks pale in comparison to proper British celebrity train wrecks... :{D

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Wait! Don't say it! I know, I know....our 'merkin celebrity train wrecks pale in comparison to proper British celebrity train wrecks... :{D
My dear old thing, I never ride on the train. Horrible, clattering things, and I've heard they let the working class aboard!

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm now about 1/2 way through Foundation's Edge -- Image I may finish it tonight, and move on to Foundation and Earth. At this pace, I should have all the Asimov written ones done in another week, and I'll be ready to move on to the post-Asimov adaptations.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
My dear old thing, I never ride on the train. Horrible, clattering things, and I've heard they let the working class aboard!
Never fear - they have a First Class carriage:

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Bits and pieces from piles and piles of O'Reilly's (is that really how that should be spelled???) various manuals on TCP/IP, networking more generally, SSH, DNS and (almost) all the rest of that alphabet soup. Thankfully they are all in PDF, so no extra lugging along is involved.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE
About me: A bird without a feather, a gull without a sea, a flock without a shore.

Post by apophenia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 am

There is Comer, and then there is everything else.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 pm

apophenia wrote:There is Comer, and then there is everything else.
We had Internetworking With TCP/IP Volume 1 & 2 as course books in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and they fitted that purpose well IMO. However, nowadays most projects when they begin require quick brushing up about specific tools or technologies, so now I prefer the O'Reilly approach. If I want to read about SSH, I want to read about SSH (mostly), and if I want to read about DNS, I want to read about DNS (mostly).

And of course it is important that O'Reilly publishes almost everything also as ebooks (and DRM free PDFs to boot).
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE
About me: A bird without a feather, a gull without a sea, a flock without a shore.

Post by apophenia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:30 am

I've yet to go whole hog on eBooks. I just like the physical books, and for book clubs, it's cheaper and faster to get a physical copy from a library in the state. However, I'm finding more and more of my book club selections that I would like to add to my library, and nothing beats eBooks for annotation and quoting. And I just opened and charged my new Nook Color this evening. Still, I'm hesitant to fork out $10-20 on an eBook that I may not care to keep. If I decide later, perhaps I'll buy the electronic copy and transfer my notes from the physical copy after reading it. However, that's somewhat labor intensive for me, especially if there is no electronic copy forthcoming for whatever reason. (And I haven't gotten into the problem with annotating page numberless eBooks...)

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 am

Got the Sherlock Holmes collected works for my Ipad yesterday - its copyright free - and started reading it last night. I'm amazed at how entertaining it still is and how modern the language feels relatively speaking. Enjoying!