What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Finished Here On Earth by Tim Flannery and Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Reading Tears of the Sun by S M Stirling and Collapse by Jared Diamond.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Nibbler wrote:Only Nazis read book three books at a time. That's ALL I'm saying.
Well hello there! I guess I'm a Nazi then - or is it a mitigating circumstance that I sometimes read two or four in parallel (not counting school books)? :ask:
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:00 pm

The Poet by that crime-fiction writer guy and soon to be Catcher in the Rye...but I don'ts have a copy of the book. Wonder if it's free on the internets. :ask:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:20 pm

"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Found a beat up copy of Catcher in the Rye in da house.

My dad's writing from 31 years ago and 2000 miles away. Fucking time capsule.

He's not getting it back. 8-)
Twit, twat, twaddle.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 am

A light weight comedy but quite a cast and I do like Steve Martin in his mellower roles but you really do need to be a bit of a twitcher to appreciate it - it was good for some laughs however the real life book it was based on is truly a twitchers delight and a very very laugh filled true story.

Like Song of the Dodo you are both entertained and educated all at once.

A quirky sense of humour and an easy going fast paced style - highly recommended read for anyone that enjoys birdwatching and a must read for those of us with life lists. :clap:

An unusual combination of being able to read the book and watch the movie the same day . Good Bday tip from my daughter.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:18 am

Started again on Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos... might even finish it in a decent time by current standards (best half remains to be read)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Did I already mention that our family has fairly recently started the semi-mammoth task of reading aloud all of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series (15 books thus far, some coauthored with Larry Dixon)? We have thus far finished The Black Gryphon and The White Gryphon and got started on The Silver Gryphon a few days ago.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Ronja wrote:
Nibbler wrote:Only Nazis read book three books at a time. That's ALL I'm saying.
Well hello there! I guess I'm a Nazi then - or is it a mitigating circumstance that I sometimes read two or four in parallel (not counting school books)? :ask:
You're exempted from Nazism. Bella, tho...:nazi:
Twit, twat, twaddle.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:34 am

There was a time when I didn't read three or four books simultaneously.

I read 8-9 simultaneously.

anna09
Book Nerd

Post by anna09 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:17 pm

I think I might start this today. . .

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:48 pm

An ancient, illuminated haggadah that was feared to have been lost has apparently been recovered in war-torn Bosnia, and an expert has been sent for to determine if it is what it purports to be. She uses her scientific skills to determine the book's history, unearthing the lot of the people who handled it as she goes about her investigation. Who would have thought a novel about a book could be such a thrilling, page turning adventure? The title, by the way, is People of the Book, and the author, Geraldine Brooks, wrote it in a refreshingly direct, fluent and engaging style.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:33 pm

anna09 wrote:Image
Dubliners and "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" are the two Joyce books worth readings. After these, he lost his way with the other two nonsenses...
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:54 pm

An ancient, illuminated haggadah that was feared to have been lost has apparently been recovered in war-torn Bosnia, and an expert has been sent for to determine if it is what it purports to be. She uses her scientific skills to determine the book's history, unearthing the lot of the people who handled it as she goes about her investigation. Who would have thought a novel about a book could be such a thrilling, page turning adventure? The title, by the way, is People of the Book, and the author, Geraldine Brooks, wrote it in a refreshingly direct, fluent and engaging style.
I was expecting Swerve to be similar and it starts in a rather engaging way but so far is bogging.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/de ... att-review
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries