Studio Ghibli

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Studio Ghibli

Post by Rum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Film 4 here (a movie channel) are showing every studio Ghibli film made over the summer period. I only discovered this yesterday however and I'm not sure how many have already been shown. I have it set to 'record series' and two of them are already recorded.

I think these Japanese movies are a cultural wonder. The animation is good, but the attention to detail in the backgrounds and settings in particular make you feel like you are inhabiting little model Japanese towns. The stories are often wistful an thankfully lacking in the plot symmetry and easy resolution of life's challenges that Disney so often vomits up. They often turn the everyday into magic. Reminds me of Tin Tin and a little bit of our Rupert the Bear too. Also great insights into ordinary Japanese life.

If you are unfamiliar with the (sadly now defunct) work of the Studio I strongly recommend seeking the films out.

Some clips:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Studio Ghibli

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 pm

I hadn't heard about this, and will try to catch whatever remains. Thank you. :tup:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Studio Ghibli

Post by Rum » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Just watched When Marnie Was There - one of the series. I blubbed for the last ten minutes off and on. Wonderful stuff.