Tudors, The

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Tudors, The

Post by cronus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Only £15 from HMV for all four seasons. Bargain of the month. Modern classic. Or something.

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Re: Tudors, The

Post by cronus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Good series, but as usual too many unnecessary revisions to history. I don't mind revisions to history. I just find them bothersome when they aren't necessary, or when they actually seem to make things less interesting or less exciting than if they stuck to the known facts and events. But overall, they do a good job.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm
Good series, but as usual too many unnecessary revisions to history. I don't mind revisions to history. I just find them bothersome when they aren't necessary, or when they actually seem to make things less interesting or less exciting than if they stuck to the known facts and events. But overall, they do a good job.
Shakespeare revised history too. No one complains about that. Then did Shakespeare even exist? :?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Willie, shake your spear.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 pm

The Tudors is not a classic, unless there's such a thing as "classic soap opera". That is what it was commissioned and designed to be. But yes, £15 for all four series is a damn good price if you enjoy soap operas with a historical backdrop. I actually do, but after watching the first and a couple of later episodes I decided to give this one a miss. I Claudius, the Hornblower series and the first series of Rome are more to my liking. Regrettably, the second series of Rome was actually two series concertinaed into one for financial reasons. It failed to engage me altogether.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 pm

Natalie Dormer. I know me.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Henry VIII by all accounts was a bear of a man, physically and otherwise. I didn't think the actor chosen to portray him was capable of doing the character justice--he's a pretty boy who relied heavily on his 'brooding good looks'. When the show attempted to depict King Henry's later years it became ridiculous, in my opinion. There were a few moments in the series that weren't too bad but overall I can't say I'd recommend it.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:00 am

It ain't heavy thinking material. Although with a couple of bottles of wine and nothing doing it goes for light entertainment. Know the anal analytica types want more meat with their gravy. Sure the world was always configured thus...after Brexit the entire north will be uprising. There's a subtext in this contemporary piece, on the verge of history, which can easily be missed...and there I will let you dwell, confounded by the language used. And the days before hyper-inflation.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:13 am

The Tudors -> apocalypse. Only our Crump... :hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:37 am

Keith Mitchell did a good Henry.

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:05 am

With The Tudors the script-writers, displaying the architects intellectual rigor necessary for their craft in its successful upper reaches, and well aware of the end game with Cameron/Osborne and the EU referendum interwove some of the prospects and ideas concerning how things are playing out now, a decade later. Think it is of these times. And a interesting take home story for the days before Brexit....