The new Star Trek

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

The new Star Trek

Post by Rum » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Watched it on Netflix tonight. I'm a real ST buff, though not quite a fanatic. Mixed response really and some of it maybe a bit nit pickie.Plot very good. Klingon culture development really good but Klingon makeup bad and hindering the actors. Effects not as good as they should be. Music awful (generic 'adventure' crap).

Edit: promising characters, which is important!

I'd say 8 out of 10.

(Did it without spoilers!)

Scott1328

Re: The new Star Trek

Post by Scott1328 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 pm

The klingons in this time period had human appearance. The show sucked.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 pm

I just watch the old ones for comedy effect. We try to anticipate when Kirk's shirt gets ripped on the planet of the episode.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:30 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:57 am

I did a rewatch of the other serieses over the last months. The two new episodes have some good and bad aspects. I don't like the visual design (all the lights and flares) and all the time flashbacks and I find there are some major plot holes ( like that so many ships can arrive within a few hours and all at the same time). But with the other series, they also mostly started weakly and then improved, so I give it a chance.

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 am

Yeah, not sure how I feel, especially since we evidently haven't met any (most?) of the main characters yet. But my interest is piqued enough to keep watching. But yeah, hate the unnecessary revision of the Klingon appearance.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am

I thought that Enterprise series was a load of bollocks to begin with but ended up warming to it - despite it's horrible theme tune, which made me thumb the mute button every time.

:shudder:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:26 am

Bloody hell.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Enterprise was easy to watch with the sound down. Two words: Jolene Blalock.

I haven't seen the new series, but I will give it a go. I generally like all the Star Trek series, even Voyager and DS-9.

Sometimes these shows take a while to warm to because the show has to get into a groove, and the characters have to grow on the audience a bit.

Not sure what's happened with the Klingon appearance, since I haven't seen the show. But, I was never clear on why Klingons changed from brown Chinese guys to giant brown Chinese guys with rows of clits on their heads.... anyone have the back-story on that? Was there a time in the Star Trek universe that they were more human-like, and then something happened to change their genetics to put clits on their heads?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:52 pm

I only need to know is it more like the awesome, contemporary movies; or the shifty TV show?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:53 pm

Animavore wrote:I only need to know is it more like the awesome, contemporary movies; or the shifty TV show?
Something in between I would say.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Forty Two wrote:Not sure what's happened with the Klingon appearance, since I haven't seen the show. But, I was never clear on why Klingons changed from brown Chinese guys to giant brown Chinese guys with rows of clits on their heads.... anyone have the back-story on that? Was there a time in the Star Trek universe that they were more human-like, and then something happened to change their genetics to put clits on their heads?
This was explained at the end of Star Trek: Enterprise. Humans had experimented with genetic modification to create superhumans. The Klingons (which looked like the proper TNG, DS9, VOY Klingons up until then) tried to steal this technology and create their own super Klingons. Instead they created a super virus that was about to wipe out the entire Klingon civilization. The only cure for this virus involed incorparating even more human DNA into the Klingons, which then made them look nearly human. The information was given that the human appearance would disappear slowly within some generations.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Huh, really? I must have missed that bit from Enterprise. I liked Enterprise, too. Especially Jolene Blalock. At first I didn't think the captain - the guy from Quantum Leap - was a good choice for captain, but he turned out o.k.

I would have thought an easier explanation for the clits would have been that they were humaniform originally, but that some disease or genetic modification caused them to to grow boney structures and whatnot. But, the more complicated explanation about stealing GMO tech from the humans, modifying their entire species to be more humanish, and then reverting back over time is cool too. It feels more politically correct that way, too. Wouldn't want to "normalize" humaniform bodies as the default form, and render Klingon's a race of mutants. Better that they were always butt-ugly, and the mutation was becoming human, which went back to "normal" some generations later.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:I thought that Enterprise series was a load of bollocks to begin with but ended up warming to it - despite it's horrible theme tune, which made me thumb the mute button every time.

[yt]_yijcWsLda8 -snip-/yt]

:shudder:
I agree. The tune was so not Star Trek and let the whole thing down which was a shame. I liked it a lot.

Sadly the new theme music isn't much better. It has the well known four notes that identify it as ST but then it just turns into the music sludge you get on so many action series. Long chords with often little relation to the action on the screen.

Of course any new series has a huge expectation hill to climb, so I'me going to try to be patient!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Forty Two wrote:Huh, really? I must have missed that bit from Enterprise. I liked Enterprise, too. Especially Jolene Blalock. At first I didn't think the captain - the guy from Quantum Leap - was a good choice for captain, but he turned out o.k.

I would have thought an easier explanation for the clits would have been that they were humaniform originally, but that some disease or genetic modification caused them to to grow boney structures and whatnot. But, the more complicated explanation about stealing GMO tech from the humans, modifying their entire species to be more humanish, and then reverting back over time is cool too. It feels more politically correct that way, too. Wouldn't want to "normalize" humaniform bodies as the default form, and render Klingon's a race of mutants. Better that they were always butt-ugly, and the mutation was becoming human, which went back to "normal" some generations later.

Well, the problem is that we now have Discovery located between "Enterprise" and Kirk. So, the Klingons should actually still look human!