All Female "Lord of the Flies" Miffs some Folks

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

All Female "Lord of the Flies" Miffs some Folks

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:41 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... int-women/

Issues raised include:

1. Two men wrote the screenplay, featuring an all girl group of stranded kids. That's apparently a problem.

2. Feminists claim that the writers misunderstand the story, which they say was written in the 1950s about "toxic masculinity," and, of course, girls would never act that way...

Seems like an interesting concept, but, of course, they're playing with fire, because if they change the events that occur, and have the girls behaving characteristically different than the boys in the story, then they will without a doubt be accused of stereotyping female behavior. You can do that with men and get away with it, but with women, there will be hell to pay from the feminists. If the girls behave like the boys, then it will be portrayed as making the girls out to be worse, and if the girls are made to behave differently than the boys in the story, then they'll be accused of stereoptyping girlish behavior and especially girlish bad behavior.

Then, of course, there will be the complaints from the trans folks, who will point out that just because the girls are "assigned at birth because of their genitals" that doesn't make them girls, so some of the girls in the story may well be boys, or nonbinary, even though they all have vaginas.

They'll probably make money just from the uproar, so it's probably a good business move.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: All Female "Lord of the Flies" Miffs some Folks

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:12 pm

My only irritation is that it is being called "Lord of the Flies" when it has only a tenuous and artistically inauthentic connection to the original book.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 pm

Giddyup, Rocinante!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 pm

Duchess of the Diptera.

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:57 am

:pop:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:31 am

I don't care what gender they are as long as they KILLTHEPIG!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

devogue

Post by devogue » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:48 am

The average woman is far more aggressive than the average man.

For instance, Susie on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 am

The main danger would occur after they hit puberty, and the periods started to synch...

The murder days...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:21 am

Ah, it's that common female problem of disassociating fantasy and reality. My ex-wife used to use sitcoms as proof that she was right about something. I don't know what, I didn't listen lol
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 am

Once again the American are going to knacker the story again.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:39 am

Tyrannical wrote:My ex-wife used to use sitcoms as proof that she was right about something. I don't know what, I didn't listen lol
Sitcoms suffice to prove you wrong every time. In fact, they're ideal. Pitched at a lowenough level for you to comprehend something - if only you were listening.

ETA: lol
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 am

Ever watched sitcoms in different languages. English is one of the worst. In Dutch they sound almost normal. In German quite formal. In Spanish it is listening to machine guns firing the whole time.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 am

Tyrannical wrote:Ah, it's that common female problem of disassociating fantasy and reality. My ex-wife used to use sitcoms as proof that she was right about something. I don't know what, I didn't listen lol
There's quite a number of studies that have shown changing a woman's name for a man's name on the same job application results in greater interviews for the male applications. Probably fake news.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:22 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Ever watched sitcoms in different languages. English is one of the worst. In Dutch they sound almost normal. In German quite formal. In Spanish it is listening to machine guns firing the whole time.
:lol:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:10 am

This is a fucking news story? Some women Tweeted?

This is what keeps right-wingers up at night. Not Nazis. Not Christians trying to destroy civil rights. Not a brutal shift of wealth to the top one percent. Not environmental destruction. Or collapse of species. Or massive property damage and civilian casualty due to climate change. Not a corrupt and incompetent White House. Not 22 million people thrown off health insurance.

This.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.