Dunkirk: History is racist!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Dunkirk: History is racist!

Post by Hermit » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Dunkirk was nothing to be proud of and why make a film about it. I bet it does mention the mess that happened before the retreat. The British Army really fucked things up. It should never had happened.
Yes, the British war campaign was a fuckup before it even started, but the evacuation was something to be proud of. Every civilian on the other side of the channel who owned as much as a stick that floats made their way across it in decidedly unfriendly conditions in order to retrieve the stranded troops. As a result 90% of the trapped forces - basically 90% of the entire British army at the time - made it back home to fight another day because of the determination of ordinary English people to never say die, never give up, to risk their lives in order to salvage those whose lives were at risk because of the crass government failures in the years leading up to the war.

Dunkirk was an utter defeat of the British defence forces and an illustration of the British government's massive political failures. Nothing to be proud of whatsoever, but I regard the rescue of 90% of the British army by the coastal dwellers of England from pretty much certain death or imprisonment as snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Looking at the war in the long run, the evacuation saved Great Britain from being invaded. The Battle of Britain would have been lost without it. The indomitability of the John and Mary Joneses back then is something to be proud about even now. I certainly would be, were I British. Being German born I'll make do with admiring it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:45 pm

The Guardian's critic did not think much of it.
David Cox wrote:
Bloodless, boring and empty: Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk left me cold

Nolan’s celebrated story of the evacuation at Dunkirk trades guts and glory for a 12A airbrushed rendering of history. The true story is much more complex – and moving

s it just me? Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk has bowled over critics and taken $100m (£77m) at the global box office in barely a week, but it left me cold.

The subject sounds enticing: the legend of Dunkirk tells of an array of unprepared civilians assembling an armada of fishing boats, pleasure craft, yachts, motor launches, paddle steamers, barges and lifeboats to rescue an army from a battle-swept beach. What might cinema reveal of the logistical skills, resourcefulness, courage, doubts, arguments and fears of the citizenry involved?

Yet Nolan’s film chooses to ignore tales such as that of the Medway Queen, a paddle steamer that brought home 7,000 troops in seven round trips and shot down three German planes, or the Royal Daffodil, which returned 9,500 soldiers after blocking a hole below the waterline with a mattress. Instead, we encounter just one boat, skippered by a saintly Mark Rylance, comically attired in his Sunday best. The travails such a figure might have endured were apparently not dramatic enough. Instead, Rylance’s character is subjected to a bizarre set of events garnished with grating sentimentality.

For it is not the dynamics of the people’s armada that interest Nolan. He is more concerned with what is happening on and above Dunkirk’s beaches. What’s mainly happening, however, is that lots of soldiers are waiting around. Escapades, not altogether convincing, are therefore contrived for a few of them. Some bombs fall, some ships are sunk. Commanders mutter briefly but sagely to each other. In the skies, fighter pilots conduct what seems like an endlessly repeated dogfight. One plane runs out of fuel, although not as quickly as audiences might have hoped. And that’s sort of it.

More...
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Great. We can throw him in with the other 8% of critics who didn't like it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017/
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Those are not critics just people who have seen it and probably have not got a clue what it is really about.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Heh! That reviews is a laugh riot. He complains that it's not 100% accurate. That it didn't use CGI (that's a new one). That it didn't tell the heroic tales he wanted. That it didn't have blood 'n' guts.

It sounds to me like he just wanted a war movie like any other.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Those are not critics just people who have seen it and probably have not got a clue what it is really about.
But they have, at least, seen it.

Jog on, country boy.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Animavore wrote:Heh! That reviews is a laugh riot. He complains that it's not 100% accurate. That it didn't use CGI (that's a new one). That it didn't tell the heroic tales he wanted. That it didn't have blood 'n' guts.

It sounds to me like he just wanted a war movie like any other.
He wanted an accurate film. If you call it Dunkirk it must be accurate to history. Not a few men playing in boats.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Those are not critics just people who have seen it and probably have not got a clue what it is really about.

Jog on, country boy.
That means everything. Mob rule ok.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Jog on, country boy.
That means everything. Mob rule ok.
No. It just means that, unlike you, they've seen it, and have a clue what they're talking about.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:13 pm

I am quoting people who have seen it. I have read the Dutch critics (no flag wavers) who also criticised its historical content. As an Imax film probably impressive bu the complaint that there was hardly a storyline which for the mobs seems to be not important as are the inaccuracies. Dont call it Dunkirk when it is a lousy representation of the truth.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Real life doesn't have storylines.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Animavore wrote:Real life doesn't have storylines.
No? Everything is a storyline. Just your day today has a storyline.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Real life doesn't have storylines.
No? Everything is a storyline. Just your day today has a storyline.
Incorrect, I could make a story about my day, emphasising the bits Ifind interesting and editing the boring parts, but it does not have an inherent storyline.

But even if I agree for argument's sake that my day has a storyline if I told it it would just be a tale of a guy who gets up, throws on a wash, goes to the gym, sees Dunkirk, has a stir fry, then sits down to argue with an obstinate Dutchman. I don't see how that is any different to the single day storyline in Dunkirk of a yaught owner who gets a call to go to Dunkirk and help rescue people and does.

The complaint of Dunkirk is this guy has no backstory. They think it's relevant that we know his past. They probably wanted a quiet moment where he sits and has a conversation about his life as a tailor, or worse, some flashback of him darning pantaloons. I don't agree with that view. I thought it didn't really matter. We got enough to fill in the gaps with our imagination.

Some people need to be spoon-fed.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Dutchy doesn't like spoon feeding. Nor spoons.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:21 pm

I actually saw the film. It was fucking fantastic entertainment! I Ignored all the critics who said it was amazing too! They know fuck all!