Dunkirk: History is racist!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Dunkirk: History is racist!

Post by Rum » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:18 pm

http://www.screengeek.net/2017/07/25/du ... diversity/

"In a time where literally every single thing is offensive, it should come as no surprise to you that Christopher Nolan’s latest film, Dunkirk, is now being criticized for a lack of gender and racial diversity.

A review from USA Today’s Brian Truitt, which is a mostly positive review, actually said the following:

“…the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way.”

Because you know, forget history.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Dunkirk: History is racist!

Post by Animavore » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 pm

It sounds to me like the person was just predicting the inevitable, not themselves complaining about it.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 pm

I hope so.

Ever see the old Dambusters? They changed the dog's name to "Blacky" in the remake. Reminds me of my youngest daughter, who has a bit of a mouth on her. She said "why should I say 'frikking' around Sara's Dad when he actually knows I mean 'fucking'?"
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Here's the last para of the USA Today review, the preceding was overwhelmingly positive.
The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 482574001/

I think he's just covering the PC bases.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:41 pm

The out of sync timeline is an indication in my view that Nolan realises that audiences are not as dumb as Hollywood assumes. I thought it worked well even if it was unusual. The film, which I saw last Friday was terrific. Superb even.

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Haven't seen it yet, I want to see the 70mm cut but that's up in Tampa. Don't know if I can be arsed to drive an hour and a half. I think you need to see something like that on the big screen.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Funnily enough, looking it up, while no SJW-types have come out and complained, there are loads of "satire" articles from MRA-types.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:36 pm

laklak wrote:I think you need to see something like that on the big screen.
Not everybody needs that. I can immerse myself totally into a film on a small screen. In fact, looking at a two metre high face during a close-up distracts me by its sheer size. As long as the sound system is good and the aspect ratio is as originally filmed (that is not pan and scanned) I'm happy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 pm

If you want to see it large you can always just sit closer to the screen.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:04 am

The film should be a big success in this country, we celebrate nothing more highly than plucky losers.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:06 am

Rum wrote:The out of sync timeline is an indication in my view that Nolan realises that audiences are not as dumb as Hollywood assumes. I thought it worked well even if it was unusual. The film, which I saw last Friday was terrific. Superb even.
I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not certain exactly what out of sync timelines means, but I've been watching Westworld and it's timelines are definitely out of sync. And it annoys the shit out of me. Is 'out of sync' timelines now a thing? I hate when alternative techniques become a fad.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 am

pErvin wrote:
Rum wrote:The out of sync timeline is an indication in my view that Nolan realises that audiences are not as dumb as Hollywood assumes. I thought it worked well even if it was unusual. The film, which I saw last Friday was terrific. Superb even.
I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not certain exactly what out of sync timelines means, but I've been watching Westworld and it's timelines are definitely out of sync. And it annoys the shit out of me. Is 'out of sync' timelines now a thing? I hate when alternative techniques become a fad.

Jonathan Nolan, writer of Westworld, and Christopher Nolan, writer and director of Dunkirk, are brothers.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 am

Spooky!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 am

pErvin wrote:
It isn't a spoiler to say that the film is split into three broad chunks, Land, Sea and Air. The overall story isn't developed in a completely linear fashion. Nolan occasionally jumps back to an event in one of those three chunks that happens at an earlier - or later point in the overall story. It works even if it is a bit unusual.

As the the sound, mentioned above. I have never heard a better sound/music track in y life I don't think. It is an amazing thing in itself.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 am

The timelines are one week on land, one day at sea, and one hour in the air. They run concurrently and meet up, supposedly.