What Are You Watching Now?

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE
About me: A bird without a feather, a gull without a sea, a flock without a shore.

Re: What Are You Watching Now?

Post by apophenia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 am

Numb3rs. Are you kidding me? A show that combines a detective story with mathematics — how could I not watch it?

It was a repeat, and granted a lot of the math is meh, but I never get tired of my crime shows.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:49 am

I am escaping watching TV by going to my downstairs room...

With the odd exception, I hate TV, films, the lot...

I am, possibly, a little strange...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:05 pm

apophenia wrote:Numb3rs. Are you kidding me? A show that combines a detective story with mathematics — how could I not watch it?
. ;this:

I've saved every episode that has been shown here. I'll watch them a lot now that MiM's away for the week. There are even a couple of new ones (new for me, that is). :ab:

...and they are all sexy: the father, both brothers, the other prof and all three central role ladies :shiver:
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Gallstones wrote:Looking forward to Top Shot season 4 to start on Valentine's Day.

Much rather spend the day with Galstones2 but Top Shot will fill the time.
That's a great show. And I'm not even into guns. J and I watched all of Season 1 (I think-- the one where the young Navy Seal guy lost on purpose to give the hard-knocks guy with a daughter a chance to win).
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

hadespussercats

Post by hadespussercats » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Ronja wrote:
apophenia wrote:Numb3rs. Are you kidding me? A show that combines a detective story with mathematics — how could I not watch it?
. ;this:

I've saved every episode that has been shown here. I'll watch them a lot now that MiM's away for the week. There are even a couple of new ones (new for me, that is). :ab:

...and they are all sexy: the father, both brothers, the other prof and all three central role ladies :shiver:
Judd Hirsch is sexy, eh? I like him, but I don't know if I see him that way. :ask: :D

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:27 pm

hadespussercats wrote:
Ronja wrote:
. ;this:

Judd Hirsch is sexy, eh? I like him, but I don't know if I see him that way. :ask: :D
He's playing and engineer, ferchrissake! And an engineer who has expertise in safety issues. :ab: His character has brains, and cares about the sons and the community. Of *course* he's sexy as Alan Eppes!
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

hadespussercats

Post by hadespussercats » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Ronja wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:
Ronja wrote:
. ;this:

He's playing and engineer, ferchrissake! And an engineer who has expertise in safety issues. :ab: His character has brains, and cares about the sons and the community. Of *course* he's sexy as Alan Eppes!
Fair enough! I used to really like Rob Morrow in "Northern Exposure." And the other brother, well. Yowza. I've only seen a couple episodes, and that was a long time ago-- so I don't remember anyone else in the cast.

Gallstones2
Let It All Hang Out

Post by Gallstones2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:23 am

Columbiana .....if you like shoot em ups a great movie
Marjee,normally don't deliver but I will for you!!!!!
P^3 + A^3 + T^3 = MFZ

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Post by Gallstones » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:34 am

Full Metal Jousting
History Channel
Started tonight

Fuckin'-A!

I was only mildly interested until the show came on tonight.
Tack, armor (horse and rider); these horses have to be carrying over 400 pounds.
It is only for short sprints but they have to do it over and over.
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

hadespussercats

Post by hadespussercats » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 am

Episodes 1 and 2 of Season 2 of Downton Abbey.

I can't see film re-creations of the English in WW1 without thinking of Monty Python.
"We baked you this cake, sir."

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE
About me: A bird without a feather, a gull without a sea, a flock without a shore.

Post by apophenia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 am

Japanese Girls At The Harbor (Review)

The story of three women and their intertwining lives, and desires.

Very good, but not great. The Cinematography was good. The female leads were excellent. The rest of the cast, not so much. It fell a little flat about 2/3 though, but picked up again. A rather unusual story. Each turn of the story sees things slowly, slippingly, sliding away from the characters' grasps. It was like watching a large plane, slowly spiraling downward out of the sky. I would say worth a watch. I didn't care for the ending, but it is understandable for the time. The only thing I really didn't like was the musical score (Criterion edition); it was light-hearted and of moderate energy, which totally clashed with the somber, moody emotions portrayed. About a third of the way in I just turned it off, it was so annoying.

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

Post by apophenia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Operation Barbarossa

One of the biggest battles in World War II took place when Hitler decided to invade the Soviet Union in the summer of 1941. The titanic battle caused an estimated 20 million casualties and saw an unparalleled number of men and amount of material used (from both sides) in an attempt to emerge victorious.

Talk about a misleading title. The documentary, which is a mere 47 minutes, starts in 1939 and details the factors that led up to the German invasion of Russia, including diplomatic feints from both Axis and Allied powers. The actual coverage of Barbarossa itself was non-existent. They alluded to the difficulties the Wehrmacht would face at Stalingrad, but the entire operation was covered in two minutes of screen time. And the topics they did cover could be easily learned from a short magazine article or Wikipedia style essay. Disappointed.

hadespussercats

Post by hadespussercats » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm

hadespussercats wrote:Episodes 1 and 2 of Season 2 of Downton Abbey.

I can't see film re-creations of the English in WW1 without thinking of Monty Python.
"We baked you this cake, sir."
We finished all the available episodes of Downton Abbey, and feel unmoored now that we actually have to wait until September to see a new one.

There are some very cheeseball tropes being employed in this series. Oddly enough, I find them endearing, rather than off-putting.

But I have to agree with Tom and Lorenzo's commentary on Elizabeth McGovern, that she should stop tucking her chin into her neck and smiling with her lips closed, because it makes her look "batshit insane."

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Post by Gallstones » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 pm

America's Next Top Model. :coffee:
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut

Post by Ronja » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:27 pm

hadespussercats wrote: But I have to agree with Tom and Lorenzo's commentary on Elizabeth McGovern, that she should stop tucking her chin into her neck and smiling with her lips closed, because it makes her look "batshit insane."
I tried to make a face alike that description while reading it (without a mirror, though), and that alone made me feel pretty batshit for a moment. :?