Clint Eastwood's J Edgar Hoover Biopic

Kr
About me: Man Fwuff!

Clint Eastwood's J Edgar Hoover Biopic

Post by Kr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Thoughts? Eastwood is quite the director, and I think DiCaprio's title as today's highest paid actor is well deserved.

I enjoyed De Niro's The Good Shepherd, a film about the founding of the CIA, so I'm interested in how the two films will paint a picture of the progression of intelligence services in the US.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Re: Clint Eastwood's J Edgar Hoover Biopic

Post by Seth » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I met J. Edgar Hoover one time. My grandfather was a bigwig in the US Department of Justice in Washington, and when the family went to Washington on vacation with grandma, when I was about 13 or so, we got an insider's tour of the old FBI building by our own personal FBI agent. Saw all the cool stuff the tourists don't get to see, and even got to shoot a .45 Thompson submachine gun in the basement firing range.

We had a personal meeting with J. Edgar as well, and somewhere I've got a photo of me with him.

His office was cool, because in the outer office he had a display of all sorts of neato spy gadgetry, including pen-cameras, microdots and other stuff the FBI had seized or used during the Cold War.

Don't remember much about the man other than he seemed nice and a bit avuncular and not at all cold or scary. He was quite nice to my grandmother, and you could tell that they had known each other fairly well through the Washington social scene back in the 50's.

I'll see if I can find the photo.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:58 am

Seth wrote:I met J. Edgar Hoover one time. My grandfather was a bigwig in the US Department of Justice in Washington, and when the family went to Washington on vacation with grandma, when I was about 13 or so, we got an insider's tour of the old FBI building by our own personal FBI agent. Saw all the cool stuff the tourists don't get to see, and even got to shoot a .45 Thompson submachine gun in the basement firing range.

We had a personal meeting with J. Edgar as well, and somewhere I've got a photo of me with him.

His office was cool, because in the outer office he had a display of all sorts of neato spy gadgetry, including pen-cameras, microdots and other stuff the FBI had seized or used during the Cold War.

Don't remember much about the man other than he seemed nice and a bit avuncular and not at all cold or scary. He was quite nice to my grandmother, and you could tell that they had known each other fairly well through the Washington social scene back in the 50's.

I'll see if I can find the photo.
Cool. - Which dress was he wearing? :hehe:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:14 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:Cool. - Which dress was he wearing? :hehe:
Ah, that story again. It's bullshit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 am

Seraph wrote:
Joke, ffs. :roll:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Joke, ffs. :roll:
Sorry for ruffling your feathers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:03 am

Don't mind me. I'm just disappointed that I won't get to see Leonardo DiCaprio in a dress. ;)

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:Don't mind me. I'm just disappointed that I won't get to see Leonardo DiCaprio in a dress. ;)
He's already played his obligatory gay role.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange