Pen Behind The Ear

devogue

Pen Behind The Ear

Post by devogue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Cormac

Re: Pen Behind The Ear

Post by Cormac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 pm

This is British comedy at its absurdist finest.

Fantastic!
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Cormac wrote:This is British comedy at its absurdist finest.

Fantastic!
The sheer fucking gall and bravery of that man to stand there and do that for five minutes.

Astonishing.

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 pm

I was trying to dig out some "Vic Reeves Big Night Out", which is available on Youtube, but not from here. (Channel 4 have blocked it for outside the UK, I think).

Anyway, back then, Reeves and Mortimer were utterly surreal and absurd in their comedy. Vic then made the mistake of letting people know what he was like in real life, which burst the illusion.

But back then, they were absolutely brilliant. I had all their shows on VHS, but one of my sisters taped over it with fucking neighbours, or some shit like that.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 pm

But Tim Vine is great.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Cormac wrote:I was trying to dig out some "Vic Reeves Big Night Out", which is available on Youtube, but not from here. (Channel 4 have blocked it for outside the UK, I think).

Anyway, back then, Reeves and Mortimer were utterly surreal and absurd in their comedy. Vic then made the mistake of letting people know what he was like in real life, which burst the illusion.

But back then, they were absolutely brilliant. I had all their shows on VHS, but one of my sisters taped over it with fucking neighbours, or some shit like that.
I worshipped them. Everything they have done since is shit by comparison.

Spin, spin, spin the wheel of juuuuuustice. See how fast the bastard turns! :fall:

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Cormac wrote:But Tim Vine is great.
I genuinely think he's as good as it gets. A true genius, but desperately underrated. FFS, people even wrongly attribute his gags to Tommy Cooper!
"Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin."

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:43 pm

He is a genius. No doubt.

Mind you, was that audience there just for him? If so, he has moved beyond cult status if he is able to fill that place on his own.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Cormac wrote:He is a genius. No doubt.

Mind you, was that audience there just for him? If so, he has moved beyond cult status if he is able to fill that place on his own.
Yep, it was just for him - an hour and a half of relentless giggles.

Listen to that cheer when he finally "catches" the pen - it's fucking insane how the audience roars.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:52 pm

devogue wrote:
I genuinely think he's as good as it gets. A true genius, but desperately underrated. FFS, people even wrongly attribute his gags to Tommy Cooper!
"Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin."
I agree that he is a great..and underrated. I think 'Not Going Out' is a gem and written better than any Brit Sitcom for years, even if it was a bit Merican derived.

Callan
Invincible

Post by Callan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Rum wrote:
devogue wrote:
I agree that he is a great..and underrated. I think 'Not Going Out' is a gem and written better than any Brit Sitcom for years, even if it was a bit Merican derived.
The Merkin feel of it comes directly from the godforsaken beshitted laughter track, arrrgggghhhhhhh!

When I rule the world, the addition of laughter tracks to comedy programmes will be a crucifixion offence.
:lay:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Callan wrote:
Rum wrote:
devogue wrote:
The Merkin feel of it comes directly from the godforsaken beshitted laughter track, arrrgggghhhhhhh!

When I rule the world, the addition of laughter tracks to comedy programmes will be a crucifixion offence.
:lay:
Partly, but also the tightness of the script, the constant one liners/gags. I didn't know it had a laughter track actually. A shame.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I thought it was just me liked Not Going Out. I think I started a thread on it and it died quickly so I just left it in case of belittlement.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 pm

That ol' Vic and Bob show was stomach rupturing funny as well.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm

devogue wrote:
Cormac wrote:I was trying to dig out some "Vic Reeves Big Night Out", which is available on Youtube, but not from here. (Channel 4 have blocked it for outside the UK, I think).

I worshipped them. Everything they have done since is shit by comparison.

Spin, spin, spin the wheel of juuuuuustice. See how fast the bastard turns! :fall:

:)

I was painting a fox Vic...

... Of course, it was quite a high fox.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!