Who watches the Watchmen?

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Re: Who watches the Watchmen?

Post by AshtonBlack » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:03 am

In the middle of the GN now. Going to try to see it, depending if I can get my car going.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:49 am

AshtonBlack wrote:In the middle of the GN now. Going to try to see it, depending if I can get my car going.
Read the GN straight away after I came home from the cinema on Thursday. It was awesome to the extreme. So much was left out of the film. At least 45%. Although the directors cut is said to have a lot more. Even an animation of The Black Freight entwined with it.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:50 pm

I've seen the black frieght and under the hood now too, they were probably best left out of the film. Black frieght was enjoyable enough but pointless and under the hood was too whimsical to be put in with the movie.
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm glad they changed the ending.

Psychic Squid me bollox. I thought Alan Moore was better than that then to believe in woo.

EDIT: I forgot. The whole thing is woo :lol:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:57 pm

The ending of the comic is mental but it's not too different from the film, just the change from giant squid to giant blue balls :dono:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:10 pm

I can't believe the film has done so bad with the critics.
Only 49% on RottenTomatoes. Such bullshit they come out with too. Shit like 'it's self-indulgent' or 'it's a hollowed out shell.' Fuck it I hate movie critics anyway. They didn't even recognise The Predator as one of the best movies ever. Fuck wits.

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard

Post by The Curious Squid » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Predator is a fucking great film, still remember seeing it for the first time as a kid and shitting myself at the showdown at the end :mrgreen:

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:13 pm

It's basically because of shit like twilight.
Non-stories with non-acting that have a well developed non-depth.
Critics are cunts.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Holy arse cancer! Twilight got 59%. I haven't even seen that film and I know it's shit and they gave it 59%? Bunch of Ken and Barbie genital-less motherfuckers. You don't have to step in shit to know that it's shit.

Mishakal
Forum babysitter.

Post by Mishakal » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:47 pm

I saw it last week after I read the comic book and I was impressed with how much they managed to translate into the movie, but I wish they had kept the ending intact and use the "walking on water" scene from the comic book since it was one of my favs.
Gawdzilla wrote:
AshtonBlack wrote:"Fuckin' civvies getting in the way of the bullets..."
Ordnance Absorption Devices.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Allegedly, the DVD director's cut of The Watchmen is available via some well-known illegal channels. While I would never advocate anyone using such things and have certainly not done so myself tonight, I may be absent from the forum for prolonged periods tonight for completely unconnected reasons... :whistle:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard

Post by The Curious Squid » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Allegedly, the DVD director's cut of The Watchmen is available via some well-known illegal channels. While I would never advocate anyone using such things and have certainly not done so myself tonight, I may be absent from the forum for prolonged periods tonight for completely unconnected reasons... :whistle:
thoughts xc?

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Paco wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Allegedly, the DVD director's cut of The Watchmen is available via some well-known illegal channels. While I would never advocate anyone using such things and have certainly not done so myself tonight, I may be absent from the forum for prolonged periods tonight for completely unconnected reasons... :whistle:
thoughts xc?
Just about as good a version of the book that it would be possible to make. The changes simplified the story enough to fit it into an acceptable time-frame (still 3.5 hours in the DC!) The special effects were breathtaking at times. The fight scenes were a little comic-bookish and unrealistic but, hey, it is a comic book! The faithful recreations of scenes from the book, including the iconic graffiti, was very well done indeed. A valiant attempt at filming the unfilmable. :tup:

I am looking forward to the extended director's cut which is due out for xmas - with the Black Freighter animation woven into the film. :drool:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard

Post by The Curious Squid » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Paco wrote:
thoughts xc?
Just about as good a version of the book that it would be possible to make. The changes simplified the story enough to fit it into an acceptable time-frame (still 3.5 hours in the DC!) The special effects were breathtaking at times. The fight scenes were a little comic-bookish and unrealistic but, hey, it is a comic book! The faithful recreations of scenes from the book, including the iconic graffiti, was very well done indeed. A valiant attempt at filming the unfilmable. :tup:

I am looking forward to the extended director's cut which is due out for xmas - with the Black Freighter animation woven into the film. :drool:
the anime aint great. i think i might still hve it on my pc

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Just finished watching a genuine copy of The Directors Cut of Watchmen.

Groovy 8-)