Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Hi, I'm Mick

Post by Hermit » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:09 am

Lion IRC wrote:
JimC wrote:Zeus is gone.

Odin is gone...

Soon, farewell Jaweh and Allah...

Little by little, the delusions of the childhood of Homo sapiens will retreat into obscurity, and your security blanket, jamest will be gone...
You think homosapiens will reach adulthood?
Well, there is a trend. Looking at Australia, for instance...

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Obviously, those low numbers before the 1970's are as misleading as some Muslim countries claims, that they have no homosexuals. Still a promising figure. I am awaiting a real boom in that chart for Finland soon, as hoards of people that left church at 18 (when you can do it without parental consent) are now in the childbearing age, so baptism of infants is plummeting, while young adults are still leaving church, an masse.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 pm

MiM wrote:Obviously, those low numbers before the 1970's are as misleading as some Muslim countries claims, that they have no homosexuals. Still a promising figure.
Yes and yes. While we have never had official sanctions against people of no religion, informal opprobrium in regard to atheists was immensely strong in the early sixties and before. Society had immense difficulties in accepting someone who did not profess to be an anglican or catholic as a valid member of the community. This has changed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Hermit wrote:
MiM wrote:Obviously, those low numbers before the 1970's are as misleading as some Muslim countries claims, that they have no homosexuals. Still a promising figure.
Yes and yes. While we have never had official sanctions against people of no religion, informal opprobrium in regard to atheists was immensely strong in the early sixties and before. Society had immense difficulties in accepting someone who did not profess to be an anglican or catholic as a valid member of the community. This has changed.
I'm not sure it was that strong. Certainly if you strongly stated an atheist opinion it would have been regarded as at least eccentric, and probably immoral. But people like my father, who kept his head down, admitting at the most, if pressed, to be non-religious, but not making a big deal about it, were not hampered career wise...

But it certainly has changed to the point of acceptance of professed atheism as a valid, if slightly weird alternative...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:17 am

piscator wrote:
jamest wrote:
piscator wrote:
jamest wrote: Since there's not one jot of empirical evidence which suffices to shatter any metaphysical claim [devoid of arguable empirical content]... well...
That's amazingly tautological, if only grammatically so.
I made the mistake of trying to mimic your own grammar. :mrgreen:
Are there any practical benefits to the pursuit of pure referents that don't involve math??
Practical benefits? I'm not sure. But what about 'spiritual' benefits? Does your happiness hinge upon the material quality of your life?
A more practical question might be,
"Would I be paid so well if I didn't know what I was doing?" :ask:
High-class call-girls get paid well, but they are still whores.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:19 am

piscator wrote: A more practical question might be,
"Would I be paid so well if I didn't know what I was doing?" :ask:
And the answer is "yes." It certainly is possible for a complete pinheaded moron with a microcephalic intellect to be overpaid, just look at Joe Biden.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:24 am

macdoc wrote:See Seth - you don't understand the concept at all.....ridicule of positions not based on evidence is not bigotry
Yes it is. The textbook definition in fact.
Bing Dictionary

big·ot
[ bíggət ]

intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views

...it's quite indiscriminate in it's demand for evidence over "faith". You want to promote bullshit world views...others including myself will not discriminate at all in calling for what it is....a odiferous pile of shit.....be it anti-evolution, anti-vaxer, climate change denier, theist or marxist conspiracy tripe......
dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigotry

noun, plural bigotries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. 2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc ...
Your statements above are an absolutely classic example of bigotry.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:25 am

JimC wrote:
jamest wrote:
macdoc wrote:See Seth - you don't understand the concept at all.....ridicule of positions not based on evidence is not bigotry...it's quite indiscriminate in it's demand for evidence over "faith". You want to promote bullshit world views...others including myself will not discriminate at all in calling for what it is....a odiferous pile of shit.....be it anti-evolution, anti-vaxer, climate change denier, theist or marxist conspiracy tripe......

Most rational people get past the tooth fairy stage early on.
...but nice try at a rhetorical slam....you missed...per usual.

You and Jamest. :roll: ... :funny: :funny: :funny:

:coffee:

•••

Gee Jamest ....maybe you and Seth can become gun buddies.... :naughty:
I don't choose my buddies upon the basis of their allegiance to my mindset.

I asked for a sophisticated defence of your bigoted trolling, not just more bigoted trolling. Please show me that you have more in the locker than this.
It's not bigoted, and it's not trolling.

It's a robust and often sarcastic attack on a position which mac and most of the rest of us consider needs to be attacked.

Tough luck, religions deserve no automatic respect any more... Well, they never really did, but christianity in its day, and islam now, could use coercive power to physically punish those with a contrary view. I know many of you would secretly want those days to return, and fling all of us pesky atheists in jail for blasphemy, but tough titty, you can't.

Suck it up, princess, religion is a fading force in advanced counties the world over, and hopefully continues to dwindle into an insignificant footnote of history.
More classic bigotry.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:28 am

Prove it.
Odin is gone...
Prove it.

Little by little, the delusions of the childhood of Homo sapiens will retreat into obscurity, and your security blanket, jamest will be gone...
Eighty percent of the planet disagrees.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:29 am

Lion IRC wrote:

Odin is gone...

Some of them will, but nobody here.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:31 am

JimC wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:

Odin is gone...

If it ever does, part of that maturity will be the abandonment of primitive superstitions of all kinds...
Prove it.

It may be that the abandonment of primitive superstitions is what eventually renders humankind extinct.

I can explain how in one word:
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Hubris.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:22 am

Seth wrote:Eighty percent of the planet disagrees.
Bandwagon Fallacy.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 am

Seth wrote:
macdoc wrote:See Seth - you don't understand the concept at all.....ridicule of positions not based on evidence is not bigotry
Yes it is. The textbook definition in fact.
Bing Dictionary

big·ot
[ bíggət ]

intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views
dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigotry

noun, plural bigotries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. 2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc ...
:irony:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:34 am

Seth wrote:High-class call-girls get paid well, but they are still whores.
They are merely capitalists, exploiting the assets they have in the cause of profit. Calling them names says a lot more about your prejudices and hang-ups than it does about them. That said, there is a WORLD of difference between a well-paid call-girl that decides to do what she does and a street hustler, feeding a crack habit and supporting a pimp.

People do what they do to get by. If you can sell sex, it sure beats stacking shelves in Wallmart! :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:11 am

FBM wrote:
Seth wrote:Eighty percent of the planet disagrees.
Bandwagon Fallacy.
:lol: Yeah, I was going to point out it was a fallacy, but the man is impervious to logic. But I do like your description of the fallacy. :)
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.